Name on ATT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GustieRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from NABP saying that if your ATT doesn't have your middle name or initial, your ID can't either. My ATT just has first name/last name, but my ID's all have first/middle/last name. I am testing on Wednesday, and therefore don't have 5 business days to change it. Does anyone else have experience with this- will it actually matter? Both my ID's match each other, but have more information than the ATT does. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the same email and have the same problem. My att does not have my middle name and my ID does. I have my test next week as well. Gonna give them a call and hope it's not a hassle

The section that says "Candidate:..." is the name they are going off by correct? I'm just wondering because when I open the email, it has only my first and last name at the top of the email. When I scroll down and under appointment details, my name is my full name with middle name included.

Mine match I think- weird that yours wouldn't be the same? I guess I don't know which one they go by? They must have changed this policy, because the NABP booklet I downloaded and saved back in February didn't have these requirements, but when I downloaded one tonight it had the same little chart as in the e-mail. Crappy to change their policy without any notification to those of us that had registered prior to the change. Hopefully they can straighten it out on Monday- I imagine they're going to be receiving a lot of phone calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine match I think- weird that yours wouldn't be the same? I guess I don't know which one they go by? They must have changed this policy, because the NABP booklet I downloaded and saved back in February didn't have these requirements, but when I downloaded one tonight it had the same little chart as in the e-mail. Crappy to change their policy without any notification to those of us that had registered prior to the change. Hopefully they can straighten it out on Monday- I imagine they're going to be receiving a lot of phone calls.

Yeah, it's weird. On the ATT before I scheduled my test, it had my full name. After I registered, the intro of my email just has first and last, but in the appointment detail it has my full name again. I contacted them just to be sure. I'm guessing the one that I need to go by is the full name. When I signed into my account to profile information, it has my full name in bold and won't let me change it.

I have the same issue and my test is Tues. My ATT just has my first and last name, but my license has my middle name....I don't know why I didn't realize this when signing up for the tests. I honestly don't understand why it even matters, but now I'm super stressed out instead of focusing on studying. Let us know what you find out on Mon, I plan on showing up to take the test anyways...

I had to deal with this situation already, my ATT just had first/last name and my ID has my middle initial. Realized this past Sunday, and was scheduled to take MPJE monday, different MPJE friday, and naplex tuesday. I called the location of my testing center first thing Monday morning and they said it's fine and I can still test. Decided to call the location for the next Tuesday test and they said no way, they are supposed to turn people away.

Called NABP afterwards and they had me send an email to the customer service with a copy of my drivers license and a request to have my name changed. The guy I talked to said it was fine to keep my Friday test date but I wasn't sure since it says you need to contact them 5 business days in advance. In my email I asked them to please let me know if I needed to change the date.

NABP called me Wednesday to let me know that they changed my name and let Pearson know, but that I would need to change the Friday test date (which luckily I was still able to do). I checked the Pearson website today (the Friday I was supposed to test) and my name was updated with them but who knows if it would have been for an 8am exam.

My advice - if you notice something missing CALL NABP ASAP!!! If it's too close to your test date, it's worth it to show up anyways and see if they let you in (mine did).

I had to deal with this situation already, my ATT just had first/last name and my ID has my middle initial. Realized this past Sunday, and was scheduled to take MPJE monday, different MPJE friday, and naplex tuesday. I called the location of my testing center first thing Monday morning and they said it's fine and I can still test. Decided to call the location for the next Tuesday test and they said no way, they are supposed to turn people away.

Called NABP afterwards and they had me send an email to the customer service with a copy of my drivers license and a request to have my name changed. The guy I talked to said it was fine to keep my Friday test date but I wasn't sure since it says you need to contact them 5 business days in advance. In my email I asked them to please let me know if I needed to change the date.

NABP called me Wednesday to let me know that they changed my name and let Pearson know, but that I would need to change the Friday test date (which luckily I was still able to do). I checked the Pearson website today (the Friday I was supposed to test) and my name was updated with them but who knows if it would have been for an 8am exam.

My advice - if you notice something missing CALL NABP ASAP!!! If it's too close to your test date, it's worth it to show up anyways and see if they let you in (mine did).

Where do you see your name on the Pearson website. When I first sign in, it states "Current Activity for First Lastname", is this the name that the testing center is using. When I go into my profile, it has my full name with middle name included.

Thanks for the info....I guess it's a 50/50 shot.....did they charge you a fee to reschedule?

I called the test center for my NAPLEX on Wednesday and they said it was fine- so I'm still going to try to get it fixed, but I'm going to show up on Wednesday regardless of what NABP says I guess. If Pearson is fine with it, I don't think it should be a problem? By the 25th (MPJE) the name should be fixed so then it really won't be a problem. I don't know why they tell you this so close to the test date, I should be focusing on studying and instead I'm worrying non-stop if I'll be denied entrance or not. What a pain!

Last edited:

I assume they let you take the Monday MPJE? Good to know that it really is up to the test site.

So if I get turned away at the testing center, how long do I have to wait to reschedule? This is the only reason I even care about the whole thing, because I have to be licensed by a certain date for my job......

So if I get turned away at the testing center, how long do I have to wait to reschedule? This is the only reason I even care about the whole thing, because I have to be licensed by a certain date for my job......

I believe Pearson charges you a fee (like 180 dollars) to reschedule but I think it is just a few days until you can pick a new test date. It really is dependent on the testing center-some turn people away for this and others do not. I know that NABP is very quick with adding middle names/initials to the profiles though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a phone call back saying the policy changed last week (?) and that I will, in fact, be turned away. I really hope NABP can fix it in 52 hours!

I believe Pearson charges you a fee (like 180 dollars) to reschedule but I think it is just a few days until you can pick a new test date. It really is dependent on the testing center-some turn people away for this and others do not. I know that NABP is very quick with adding middle names/initials to the profiles though.

How quick....it says they need 5 business days, my test is Tuesday morning and I can't call them until Monday...what a headache

How quick....it says they need 5 business days, my test is Tuesday morning and I can't call them until Monday...what a headache

I was also wondering this- anyone have experience? I heard one person say they could do within 48-72 hours, but wondering if anyone can confirm? They do say 5 business days :(

I decided I cannot study while worrying about this, so I rescheduled my test for Jul 3rd, paid the $50 and will take care of changing my name with the NABP this week.....good luck with whatever you end up doing!

I got my middle initial added by NABP and it took them 1 hour. It was on Pearson VUEs website the next morning. So it is really quick.

I got my middle initial added by NABP and it took them 1 hour. It was on Pearson VUEs website the next morning. So it is really quick.

That's a relief! Thanks for your reply, makes me feel a little better about having it changed by Wednesday. I feel like I've been studying so long and had to wait so long to schedule this in the first place, that I don't want to push it back another couple weeks. I'm going to take my chances with calling on Monday.

That's a relief! Thanks for your reply, makes me feel a little better about having it changed by Wednesday. I feel like I've been studying so long and had to wait so long to schedule this in the first place, that I don't want to push it back another couple weeks. I'm going to take my chances with calling on Monday.

No problem! I completely understand-I was freaked out too! When I got it changed with NABP, they told me I had nothing to worry and I should have no problem getting in to the exam. You could email them with a copy of your drivers license (or whatever ID you are using) with the name change request now so they have it for Monday morning. Then call them the second they open on Monday and it should be taken care of very quickly.

No problem! I completely understand-I was freaked out too! When I got it changed with NABP, they told me I had nothing to worry and I should have no problem getting in to the exam. You could email them with a copy of your drivers license (or whatever ID you are using) with the name change request now so they have it for Monday morning. Then call them the second they open on Monday and it should be taken care of very quickly.

I'm covering all media bases, and have emailed them my license and will also fax it from work tomorrow. Then I will call first thing Monday- hopefully work will understand that I need to step away to get it taken care of. They clearly want me licensed just as much (or more!) as me. Thanks again for your reply, I feel much better!! If you haven't taken yours yet, good luck! If you have, hope it went well! :)

Classmate of mine forgot to register with middle name, and testing center wouldn't let her take Naplex. She registered as "Mary Jones" but her license/ID all said "Mary A. Jones" and they said no, so she had to get it all straightened out and reschedule.

Classmate of mine forgot to register with middle name, and testing center wouldn't let her take Naplex. She registered as "Mary Jones" but her license/ID all said "Mary A. Jones" and they said no, so she had to get it all straightened out and reschedule.

I can testify to this too for my classmate. The ATT didn't have his middle name on it, yet his ID's did, and he got rejected from being able to take the NAPLEX exam. That means you forfeit your exam fee and you have to pay $485 again...

SEVERAL of my classmates, including myself have our middle initial on our drivers license and not on the registration. To make sure it matches, go to the NABP website and click on your personal information link. Whatever is listed there is what your forms of ID need to say as well. I had mine changed in less than 24 hours by emailing a copy of my ID and requesting a change.

Do NOT believe them if your stuff doesn't actually match but you call and they tell you it's not an issue. It WILL be an issue because it happened to my friend.

SEVERAL of my classmates, including myself have our middle initial on our drivers license and not on the registration. To make sure it matches, go to the NABP website and click on your personal information link. Whatever is listed there is what your forms of ID need to say as well. I had mine changed in less than 24 hours by emailing a copy of my ID and requesting a change.

Do NOT believe them if your stuff doesn't actually match but you call and they tell you it's not an issue. It WILL be an issue because it happened to my friend.

Thank you for this! I kept going to the website to see what my name was registered as because I couldn't remember if it had my middle name or not. I could never find it on the website because I thought "Personal Information" was a header and not something you could actually click on...

I have a quick question, when you go to the NABP website and click on the link to change your name, I'm assuming you choose the US name change form? Also, it asks for it to get notarized?

Same thing with my ATT having only first and last and my Drivers license having all 3- I put my maiden name in the "maiden name" box on NABP without thinking that legally it's my middle name too. I'm SOL if I can't get this resolved by Tuesday in regards to my job and being broke. I'm wondering if I can go to DMV and get a state ID that only has first and last name to match ATT- do they legally have to include middle these days?

Two years ago I got into NAPLEX just fine with the middle initial on the ATT, but full middle name on my DL. CPJE I was turned away and not allowed to test. I had to mail CABP a copy of my SS card and DL to have my pharmacist license application updated and wasted 2 weeks plus 6 hour drive time each way to Sacramento because of this.

Thank you for this! I kept going to the website to see what my name was registered as because I couldn't remember if it had my middle name or not. I could never find it on the website because I thought "Personal Information" was a header and not something you could actually click on...

Yeah, that was very misleading due to the font being so large. Rule #1. Always click on everything, just to see. :D

FYI, there's an alert on NABP website:

Alert

ID / ATT Name Matching Update: If the name on your IDs (including your middle name/middle initial) and your ATT does not match as described in the NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin, send a scanned copy of your primary ID with the name that should be on your ATT via e-mail to [email protected]. Acceptable primary IDs include US/Canadian passport, US/Canadian driver's license, US state/Canadian province ID, and US/Canadian military ID. Your information will be updated in 48 hours and you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please note that you must submit the name update at least 5 business days prior to the date of your scheduled examination or you will be turned away at the test center. There are no exceptions to this policy. If you are scheduled to test in less than 5 days, please see the NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin for details on rescheduling your exam.

I took MPJE last week on Wednesday with no issues. My ATT says first name last name but my passport has my middle name on it. Now I'm a little panicked about Naplex on Friday so I just emailed my passport to nabp.

I took MPJE last week on Wednesday with no issues. My ATT says first name last name but my passport has my middle name on it. Now I'm a little panicked about Naplex on Friday so I just emailed my passport to nabp.

Just FYI- they're going to make you re-schedule. I spent 2.5 hours on hold yesterday and was told they refuse to pass along the name changes any sooner than 5 business days. If you miss your 2 business day reschedule window, you will have to pay $140 instead of the usual $50. Sorry to give you bad news, but wanted to save you a little money!

Just FYI- they're going to make you re-schedule. I spent 2.5 hours on hold yesterday and was told they refuse to pass along the name changes any sooner than 5 business days. If you miss your 2 business day reschedule window, you will have to pay $140 instead of the usual $50. Sorry to give you bad news, but wanted to save you a little money!

It's different for everyone. I panicked the night before my NAPLEX on 06/07 when I heard from a friend was rejected from his site because of ID issues. I sent them my name changes at 6:00 pm and they had changed it by 3:00 pm the next day.

It's different for everyone. I panicked the night before my NAPLEX on 06/07 when I heard from a friend was rejected from his site because of ID issues. I sent them my name changes at 6:00 pm and they had changed it by 3:00 pm the next day.

I was told that up until about 10-14 days ago they were doing it within 24-48 hours. Now they no longer are. Perhaps you will get someone nicer than I did, but everyone I know that has called this week has been denied changes earlier than 5 business days. I am sure there are still reps that are willing to do it, but I wouldn't count on that.

And I agree- it is complete bullish*t. I was livid yesterday after talking to them, but what can you do. When I signed up the registration bulletin was different than today, and it implied that I would be fine. I don't know how they can change their bulletin without notifying people that a new version was released, but they clearly didn't care about that when I talked to them yesterday. They'll be getting a complaint letter from me when this is all said and done, that's for sure. After the 2.5 hours on the phone, I also realized THEY had misspelled my name. So I had to call back today. I have now undergone FOUR name changes to get it right. Ridiculous.

I feel like I'm missing something about what all the fuss is about.

I registered two months ago and the bulletin was very clear that your middle name / initial had to be present and match. The only exception was that if your initial was on one and your full middle name was on the other, that would be acceptable.

I feel like people aren't reading the bulletin / instructions carefully enough and that if we are supposed to be detail oriented this isn't the kind of thing we should be missing...

Unless I'm completely missing something??

I feel like I'm missing something about what all the fuss is about.

I registered two months ago and the bulletin was very clear that your middle name / initial had to be present and match. The only exception was that if your initial was on one and your full middle name was on the other, that would be acceptable.

I feel like people aren't reading the bulletin / instructions carefully enough and that if we are supposed to be detail oriented this isn't the kind of thing we should be missing...

Unless I'm completely missing something??

The bulletin was changed from earlier this spring. I registered the first week of March and the bulletin I have downloaded and saved does NOT say this- but you are correct, sometime between the first week of March and now they changed their bulletin/policy (I was told it was late March that this change occurred?). Unfortunately, they didn't notify those of us that had registered under the old version of the bulletin. So... you're sort of right/sort of not. I didn't think to check to make sure the bulletin hadn't changed in between registering and now, which I guess is lesson learned?! I just think it's crappy they didn't send out an e-mail saying to check the updated bulletin, because then I (and most others) would have fixed this weeks/months ago!

Yeah that's different if it changed from March. I'd say you definitely have a legitimate gripe.

But people who have registered recently, not so much. It was made very clear (at least to me) during the registration process that middle names/initials had to be present on both and match.

Just wanted to say that I emailed NABP a copy of my passport on Tuesday around 2pm, got a confirmation email from them at 10am on Wednesday morning, and Pearson had it changed on their website on Thursday morning. So I'm glad I didn't pay to reschedule!

I tested at two different Pearson VUE centers for my NAPLEX and MPJE, and I was allowed to test at both although my full middle name was on my ID/passport and NABP did not have any middle name (or initial) on my profile. Some of my classmates have been denied entrance to the exam, but others have not - it all depends on what testing center you use. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - it's obviously worth changing your name if you notice in advance that it doesn't match, but if there isn't enough time to do so before the exam (like in my case), it's still worth an attempt to get into the test. :)

Just wanted to confirm that I was turned away at my testing site. I received the email about the middle name thing last Friday at 9:08 pm, contacted them Monday morning, submitted my documents, but everything wasn't done by Thursday, my test date. I was turned away because my middle name was on my passport and driver's license and wasn't on my ATT.

My school submitted my forms and prompted my ATT delivery...I never even submitted my name/saw any details about this policy until I got that email. I don't mind them enforcing a policy, my main gripe is that the policy even exists. The odds of a person graduating this year, from my school, with the same first and last name but a different middle name wandering into a PearsonVue center and taking my test for me seems to outweigh the stress/hardship/paperwork involved in enforcing this policy.

Apparently, my name change should be through to Pearson by now, it takes 3 business days for NABP to realize I didn't sit for the exam, and so I should receive an ATT with my brand spankin' new middle name on it around Tuesday, hopefully schedule for Friday if there are any appointments left (my law exam is scheduled for Thursday), pay the $140 "resitting" fee, and still pass before my residency starts July 1st.

Oh, and I'm getting married July 6th. Fun times.

Had my Naplex this afternoon and I was freaking out about the name matching because it had my middle name on my license and no middle name on my ATT. I just went in bright eyed and bushy tailed and was friendly. They didn't seem to mind at all. I'll definitely change it for the MPJE but good to know its possible without exact matching

idk what to do. I'm freaking out andmy exam is friday. I just noticed I have a middle inital in my name on my ID and not my ATT

idk what to do. I'm freaking out andmy exam is friday. I just noticed I have a middle inital in my name on my ID and not my ATT
Hi! If your exam is on Friday, then it's not too late to get your name change. Even though they said it will take 5 days, they can actually get it done within 48 hours. It's happen to me too. Found out that I was missing my middle name on the ATT on Sunday and I had the NAPLEX of Wednesday morning. I was able to get the name change by Tuesday afternoon. I took my NAPLEX without a problem after that.

At first, I called the NABP customer service to see if they can expedite my name change request. This guy on the phone said they needed at least 5 days to get it done and told me to reschedule my exam. He was NOT helpful at all. I was freaking out at that point. I was just going to email them and hope for the best. Luckily it worked out.

Here's what I did:
1. Send an email to NABP Customer Service at [email protected] , with subject line: ATT Name Change Request

2. Attach a copy of the 2 forms of identification that you will be using with the correct name. (I sent them a scanned copy of my passport and driver license that included my middle name)

3. Wait for confirmation letter from NABP that your request has been completed. (You will get an email right away from NABP that they have received your email once you click send. You will received another email saying that your request was completed)

4. Log on to NABP.net, check your e-profile to make sure your name is correct.

5. Call the Pearson VUE Contact Center (1-888-709-2679) to double check that they have your name updated in their system. (I requested for them to resend me the ATT confirmation email letter again with my correct name. I printed it out and brought it with me to the testing center just in case.)

I hope this work out for you too. Good Luck on your exam!

I went in the exam room today and got turned down due to the name discrepancy. I had to re-register with NABP and wait for a new ATT to resit for the exam. Does anyone know how long it will take to get this new ATT so I can schedule my exam?? Please help!!!

That really sucks because you already took the naplex. When I took my MPJE after the naplex, all I had to do was show 1 ID and scan my palm. Not even sure they took a hard look at my ID. Then they took another picture of me. I asked why he did that and not another palm scan and he said it was facial recognition software.

But to answer your question, I have no idea.

I went and got a new drivers license most states will give you a new one the same day. You can leave your middle name off the application for a new one or add it which ever you need, although some states force you to add the middle name

This happen to me as well, I found out on wednesday, 2 days before Naplex, so I email NABP customer service, ask them to update my name. On Thursday, even though Pearson have not received my updated name, my name on e-profile was updated. I print the screen , bring it with me to testing center on Friday, and they actually had my name updated. So I supposed as long as your name is updated on the e-profile, you should be able to attend the exam

I dealt with this fiasco on June 1st of 2015. I found out my ATT name did not match my primary forms of ID LESS THAN 24 HRS BEFORE TAKING THE MPJE!!! I was freaking out and called Person testing to confirm my concerns. They told me I would not be able to take the exam. At that point I began searching out options to obtain a temporary state-issued ID or temporary passport to no avail. Feeling defeated, I emailed NABP the night before the day I took the MPJE with my passport and diver's license which contained my middle name (my ATT name did not) and asked them to change my profile name. They changed it by 10am the following morning. I then called Pearson to see if they received the update and of course they hadn't. The guy reminded me that I wouldn't be able to take the test. I showed up to the testing center anyways, still filled with hope. I handed the Pearson people my driver's license and passport and acted completely normal and I DIDN'T MENTION MY NAME MISMATCH. They never said a thing and I was able to take the MPJE! A classmate of mine was supposed to take the NAPLEX that very same day and had similar name-matching problems. When he arrived to the testing center, he brought up the fact that his names didn't match and HE WAS TURNED AWAY! He now has to re-register for his naplex and pay another $500 to take it :(

I will be submitting a complaint to NABP. The lost study time, stress, and anxiety that I went through is not something anyone should have to go through the day before taking an exam. Their name policy is, to be frank, complete horsesh*t. It is not fair to students to have to pay that money again when they have access to your first and last name as well as secondary identifiers like SSN, address, and DOB.