This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

complexicator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completely understand the amount of questions possibly asked about this topic. I just have a specific instance I was hoping some fellow pre-med/docs would be able to help me answer. I recently finished up my general eds at a community college and plan to start picking a bachelor's degree program to start pursuing, I just need help with selection.

I plan on pursuing a PhD in Nanotech along side pursuing a MD in the future and I am stuck on what Undergraduate Degree would be the most helpful for me in the long run. My Undergraduate Degree interests thus far lie in: Biomedical Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, or Biochemistry.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I completely understand the amount of questions possibly asked about this topic. I just have a specific instance I was hoping some fellow pre-med/docs would be able to help me answer. I recently finished up my general eds at a community college and plan to start picking a bachelor's degree program to start pursuing, I just need help with selection.

I plan on pursuing a PhD in Nanotech along side pursuing a MD in the future and I am stuck on what Undergraduate Degree would be the most helpful for me in the long run. My Undergraduate Degree interests thus far lie in: Biomedical Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, or Biochemistry.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1) Get rid of your profile pic to maintain anonymity

2) Major doesn't matter. High GPA + High MCAT = Invite. Research + Clinicals + dedicated hobbies helps color your file. Pick whichever one you like most. If you like it higher chance you'll do better academically.

3) MD requires full attention and dedication. Not sure how a PhD in nanotech will jive at the same time. Don't know enough so will not comment, but aren't there certain subjects you are limited to when pursuing dual MD/PhD?

4) Use Search function on nature of MD/PhD

Reactions: 1 user
3) MD requires full attention and dedication. Not sure how a PhD in nanotech will jive at the same time. Don't know enough so will not comment, but aren't there certain subjects you are limited to when pursuing dual MD/PhD?

You don't actually complete the MD and PhD at the same time. But yes some schools do limit what the PhD is in, but I suspect nanotech as it relates to medicine would be okay. OP, it's important to note that for medical schools the GPA will be more important than the major. Regardless of what you choose make sure it doesn't jeopardize your GPA. With that said, if your interest is in nanotech then biomedical engineering/physics/math would all be good options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely what you could do is an MD/PhD where the PhD would be from a lab located within a BME department doing nanotech research

1) Get rid of your profile pic to maintain anonymity

2) Major doesn't matter. High GPA + High MCAT = Invite. Research + Clinicals + dedicated hobbies helps color your file. Pick whichever one you like most. If you like it higher chance you'll do better academically.

4) Use Search function on nature of MD/PhD

I believed I have gone through all of these steps as best as I can.

Thank you all that replied to me. I attempted to do a little bit more research so that I would have something to come back with in this forum. I know that a higher GPA means the most in the long run as it specifically pertains to being admitted into whichever program. However, I am curious, if GPA was the only thing I relied on to get me into a program as innovative and future-focused as Nanotech, what else could I do to separate myself from my peers?

I believe this path can be accomplished. 100%. I have found programs at schools around the country with paths such as the one I am talking about. I am curious though, if it were you, what would you believe would be the best (at least conceptually) to assist the knowledge and potential expansion of the nanotech field at an undergraduate level?

Thank you again.

what would you believe would be the best (at least conceptually) to assist the knowledge and potential expansion of the nanotech field at an undergraduate level?
Best thing would be to transfer into a research powerhouse university, and get involved for 1-2 years with a BME lab there working on a project that interests you while you finish your degree. It is extremely unlikely that you will make significant contributions to the field as an undergrad, it's more about getting some experience and having success with a small project to show you will go on to do good work during the PhD component of MD/PhD.

Best thing would be to transfer into a research powerhouse university, and get involved for 1-2 years with a BME lab there working on a project that interests you while you finish your degree. It is extremely unlikely that you will make significant contributions to the field as an undergrad, it's more about getting some experience and having success with a small project to show you will go on to do good work during the PhD component of MD/PhD.

What elfe said 100%.

All the behind the scene stuff as well. Spending a few months to figure out the best way a 100k machine works? Helping your PI meet grant deadlines? Hours and hours of article searches for the next best thing to keep funding your lab? What to do when something breaks or parts run out? How to summarize kits without screwing up your limited live culture samples? Calling that center you've set up months in advance to collect data but they're going through a staff change? Patients quit on the study halfway through?

I know a lot of the above might not apply to nanotech but its stuff to look out for. It'll give you a leg up with interviewers who have been through the same process. Its not all stars and Nobel Peace prizes. Unity in misery.