NAPLEX January 2017 Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy1662

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out on Monday that I passed the NAPLEX with a 103 after failing with a 64 on my first attempt last August. I took the exam for the second time on January 11th but did not receive my score right away due to the score variance. I had to supply documentation (photos and receipts) of my study materials.

For those of you who failed, just remember that it's not the end of the world. I know what it feels like, but I can also tell you that you will pass! I improved my score by 39 points!

The first time around, I studied RxPrep and had the test bank, I did not have the video lectures. RxPrep is basically all that I studied. This time around, I purchased PassNaplexNow. (This is not an ad, I don't know why people on SDN think that if you talk about anything other than RxPrep, it's an ad.) So, I studied 2016 RxPrep (I did not have the online test bank this time around), PNN (PassNaplexNow), and I purchased BoardVitals. I highly recommend BoardVitals, it helped me a lot. Are there a few errors and non-NAPLEX type questions? Yes, there are. I did email them whenever I found an error using their "Problem with Question" button. What I really appreciated about BoardVitals is that you can buy just a month if you'd like, although I did 3 months. My favorite thing about BoardVitals though is that you can customize your exams. So you can make make a 250 question exam, select how long you want for each question, and select which topics you would like. Like RxPrep, the question answers have explanations which helped me to remember/better understand the topic/question. If you're interested in trying out BoardVitals, you can use this link to get $10 off.
https://www.boardvitals.com/users/8ac5b0/refer
I would say that if you have the RxPrep question bank and you like it, you don't need BoardVitals. I just didn't want to buy the RxPrep question bank again because I didn't know if it helped me that much and it was expensive.

Using both RxPrep & PNN:
  • I used PNN for most disease states because I like the PPT slide format. It reminded me of my pharmacy school lecture slides and made it feel less overwhelming
  • I used RxPrep for the early non-disease state chapters like Drug Interactions
  • I used both for calculations and biostats
  • I used RxPrep for Infectious Disease & Oncology
  • I used PNN's practice questions (it comes as a separate book)
The actual NAPLEX:
  • I walked out thinking I failed for sure
  • I had some EXTREMELY random and difficult questions
  • I had a lot of easy/straightforward questions that I knew right away
  • I had some insane dosing questions ( I cannot say what but it's wouldn't be enough to spend time on anyways)
  • As far as Infectious Disease, HIV, Anticoag, and Oncology, they were very fair questions
  • For the above mentioned topics, don't worry about the random small details, think big picture
  • HTN, Lipids, Asthma, etc were not too bad
  • Compounding was INSANE, I wanted to laugh at some of the questions, I'm guessing they were test questions because I passed the exam with a decent score
  • I did have quite a few questions on smaller topics so when people say to study everything, they're right
  • Calculations were fine
  • Biostats were fine
If you have any questions, please let me know! Good luck to anybody taking the exam soon. You will pass, just study hard, read the questions carefully, and stay calm! If you don't know a question, pick an answer and move on. Also, I finished 2 hours early so I felt like there was plenty of time.

If anybody is interested in buying my used 2016 RxPrep & PassNaplexNow book & question bank book, message me! I also have ProntoPass MPJE index cards that I used to study for the MPJE that are helpful for NAPLEX compounding as well. If purchased, I would send along the condensed index cards I made for many disease states that I used almost every day to keep reinforcing my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
congrats pharmacy1662
just i wanted to ask you, how you were scoring on borad vitals, i am using the same prgram it is true that some questions are out of naplex topic , I usualy do 50 questions randon and score arround 60%.is that good or bad?

congrats pharmacy1662
just i wanted to ask you, how you were scoring on borad vitals, i am using the same prgram it is true that some questions are out of naplex topic , I usualy do 50 questions randon and score arround 60%.is that good or bad?
Thank you! I think my average score was 68%. That includes getting those random questions that weren't NAPLEX relevant. So I would say you should be okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
did you take pre-naplex for the second time ? any correlation ?
I did not. I only took the pre-NAPLEX the first time and I got an 86 so obviously the "you do 10 points higher on the actual NAPLEX" idea that people talk about was not true for me. Honestly, if you're willing to spend that money, I would get BoardVitals or some other type of practice question bank because you get so many more questions for the same amount of money. If you've had no exposure to the NAPLEX and the types of questions on it, then the pre-NAPLEX would be helpful but I wouldn't use the score to gauge anything. When I took the pre-NAPLEX and got an 86, I put random numbers in for the calculations because I hadn't studied calculations yet, so my score would have been even higher if I had done the calculations, but I got a 64...

Congratulations on passing ! It must be a great feeling to finally be done. Math is my weakness so I was wondering if you thought Rx prep is sufficient for the math portion of the Naplex. Would you say that the compounding flash cards from pronto pass are more helpful than Rx prep? Thanks.

Last edited:
how many times did you go over PNN book? I 'm currently studying it and wondering if I should know all the details they put on their slides.

I did not. I only took the pre-NAPLEX the first time and I got an 86 so obviously the "you do 10 points higher on the actual NAPLEX" idea that people talk about was not true for me. Honestly, if you're willing to spend that money, I would get BoardVitals or some other type of practice question bank because you get so many more questions for the same amount of money. If you've had no exposure to the NAPLEX and the types of questions on it, then the pre-NAPLEX would be helpful but I wouldn't use the score to gauge anything. When I took the pre-NAPLEX and got an 86, I put random numbers in for the calculations because I hadn't studied calculations yet, so my score would have been even higher if I had done the calculations, but I got a 64...
Hi, are you from ca state?

Congratulations on passing ! It must be a great feeling to finally be done. Math is my weakness so I was wondering if you thought Rx prep is sufficient for the math portion of the Naplex. Would you say that the compounding flash cards from pronto pass are more helpful than Rx prep? Thanks.
Thank you, it definitely feels good to be done, now searching for a job! Yes, RxPrep is definitely sufficient for math. I'm strong with math so I didn't have an issue with that but my biggest piece of advice would be to practice as much as possible. Also, do the SDN 120 questions that are floating around on a forum somewhere. Message me if you have any math questions or want some more advice! As for the flash cards, I wouldn't say they are more helpful because the compounding questions I got were just INSANE. Just study hard but know that you might just get a crazy batch like I did. I still passed so don't work yourself up over it, just study it as best as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
how many times did you go over PNN book? I 'm currently studying it and wondering if I should know all the details they put on their slides.
Hi! It's hard to say how many times because I think I study differently than most people. I changed my study methods a few times with PNN until I found what worked. Basically, I would go over the chapter and make flash cards. I used the big ones, 5x8 I think. I put a ton of info on them but then instead of having a huge book to flip through, I could just go through some index cards. I went through each chapter 1-2 times but technically I read through many many times because I used my index cards. You don't need to know all of the details in PNN but you have to understand the big picture and very important ADR's. Let's use hypertension as an example. PNN does a great job of condensing JNC8. You need to know that. Know class side effects, which diuretic increases calcium, etc. Let me know if I can be of any more help, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I should do the sdn questions. Does the answer key have Any mistakes?
Thank you, it definitely feels good to be done, now searching for a job! Yes, RxPrep is definitely sufficient for math. I'm strong with math so I didn't have an issue with that but my biggest piece of advice would be to practice as much as possible. Also, do the SDN 120 questions that are floating around on a forum somewhere. Message me if you have any math questions or want some more advice! As for the flash cards, I wouldn't say they are more helpful because the compounding questions I got were just INSANE. Just study hard but know that you might just get a crazy batch like I did. I still passed so don't work yourself up over it, just study it as best as you can.
The

Hi! It's hard to say how many times because I think I study differently than most people. I changed my study methods a few times with PNN until I found what worked. Basically, I would go over the chapter and make flash cards. I used the big ones, 5x8 I think. I put a ton of info on them but then instead of having a huge book to flip through, I could just go through some index cards. I went through each chapter 1-2 times but technically I read through many many times because I used my index cards. You don't need to know all of the details in PNN but you have to understand the big picture and very important ADR's. Let's use hypertension as an example. PNN does a great job of condensing JNC8. You need to know that. Know class side effects, which diuretic increases calcium, etc. Let me know if I can be of any more help, feel free to message me.

I did not know how to send msg here so i clicked "start a conversation" and wrote the msg there. please let me know if u cannot see my msg.

@ pharmacy 1662
Hope u r enjoying ur moment of victory. If it doesn't bother,
Plz would u mind sharing when did u take naplex? Did u receive ur result in mail or u saw online? I am from CA, just want 2 know how many days will it take to get the result. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I took the exam Jan 11th and was notified of my numeric score on Jan 23rd. I had a delay because of the score variance so the day after I would have normally heard, I got an email asking for documentation of my study materials.
@ pharmacy 1662
Hope u r enjoying ur moment of victory. If it doesn't bother,
Plz would u mind sharing when did u take naplex? Did u receive ur result in mail or u saw online? I am from CA, just want 2 know how many days will it take to get the result. Thanks in advance.

@ pharmacy1662 appreciate for all the information. I am from. Ca. Today 22nd day didn't get result in mail. I did not catch from which state r u. Congratulations once again u made it. Pls do pray 4 me.

@ pharmacy1662 appreciate for all the information. I am from. Ca. Today 22nd day didn't get result in mail. I did not catch from which state r u. Congratulations once again u made it. Pls do pray 4 me.
I'm from Massachusetts. Think positively and I will say a prayer for you!

Guys with everyone's blessing and prayers I passed. Finally received the Green Letter. Feel so blessed, no words to explain. My SPECIAL THANKS 2 naabilly, California92, david05, ptran86, Ra 1nMak3r, bn001, firasito2005, Norcal1234,Calipharma, Pharmacy 1662 , Makhloufz and everyone else.. Thanks 4 ur support, encouragement and patience to tolerate me. Best of luck everyone 4 ur future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Guys with everyone's blessing and prayers I passed. Finally received the Green Letter. Feel so blessed, no words to explain. My SPECIAL THANKS 2 naabilly, California92, david05, ptran86, Ra 1nMak3r, bn001, firasito2005, Norcal1234,Calipharma, Pharmacy 1662 , Makhloufz and everyone else.. Thanks 4 ur support, encouragement and patience to tolerate me. Best of luck everyone 4 ur future.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you! I'm glad your long wait was worth it!

Who is that
i am really happy for you, i know how you feel , i have similar situation long wait for my fpgec the i failed my first naplex attempt.
by the way my second attempt is tomorrow ,
guys please remember me with your prayers
God bless all

Who is that
i am really happy for you, i know how you feel , i have similar situation long wait for my fpgec the i failed my first naplex attempt.
God bless all
Thanks! I know nothing can comfort until u have passing result in ur hands. However, my wishes and prayers r with u. Best of luck.

Congratulation!
Enjoy your happiest moment!!!

congratulations !, still preparing for mine. so happy for you.

Who is that
God bless all
wish you the best. guess you have done the test already. hope it all went well for you. good luck. studying for mine.

wish you the best. guess you have done the test already. hope it all went well for you. good luck. studying for mine.
already did my exam on saturady feb 4.hope i pass this time i think i did well but lets see what happen , hope get my score by tuesday or thursday

I found out on Monday that I passed the NAPLEX with a 103 after failing with a 64 on my first attempt last August. I took the exam for the second time on January 11th but did not receive my score right away due to the score variance. I had to supply documentation (photos and receipts) of my study materials.

For those of you who failed, just remember that it's not the end of the world. I know what it feels like, but I can also tell you that you will pass! I improved my score by 39 points!

The first time around, I studied RxPrep and had the test bank, I did not have the video lectures. RxPrep is basically all that I studied. This time around, I purchased PassNaplexNow. (This is not an ad, I don't know why people on SDN think that if you talk about anything other than RxPrep, it's an ad.) So, I studied 2016 RxPrep (I did not have the online test bank this time around), PNN (PassNaplexNow), and I purchased BoardVitals. I highly recommend BoardVitals, it helped me a lot. Are there a few errors and non-NAPLEX type questions? Yes, there are. I did email them whenever I found an error using their "Problem with Question" button. What I really appreciated about BoardVitals is that you can buy just a month if you'd like, although I did 3 months. My favorite thing about BoardVitals though is that you can customize your exams. So you can make make a 250 question exam, select how long you want for each question, and select which topics you would like. Like RxPrep, the question answers have explanations which helped me to remember/better understand the topic/question. If you're interested in trying out BoardVitals, you can use this link to get $10 off.
https://www.boardvitals.com/users/8ac5b0/refer
I would say that if you have the RxPrep question bank and you like it, you don't need BoardVitals. I just didn't want to buy the RxPrep question bank again because I didn't know if it helped me that much and it was expensive.

Using both RxPrep & PNN:
  • I used PNN for most disease states because I like the PPT slide format. It reminded me of my pharmacy school lecture slides and made it feel less overwhelming
  • I used RxPrep for the early non-disease state chapters like Drug Interactions
  • I used both for calculations and biostats
  • I used RxPrep for Infectious Disease & Oncology
  • I used PNN's practice questions (it comes as a separate book)
The actual NAPLEX:
  • I walked out thinking I failed for sure
  • I had some EXTREMELY random and difficult questions
  • I had a lot of easy/straightforward questions that I knew right away
  • I had some insane dosing questions ( I cannot say what but it's wouldn't be enough to spend time on anyways)
  • As far as Infectious Disease, HIV, Anticoag, and Oncology, they were very fair questions
  • For the above mentioned topics, don't worry about the random small details, think big picture
  • HTN, Lipids, Asthma, etc were not too bad
  • Compounding was INSANE, I wanted to laugh at some of the questions, I'm guessing they were test questions because I passed the exam with a decent score
  • I did have quite a few questions on smaller topics so when people say to study everything, they're right
  • Calculations were fine
  • Biostats were fine
If you have any questions, please let me know! Good luck to anybody taking the exam soon. You will pass, just study hard, read the questions carefully, and stay calm! If you don't know a question, pick an answer and move on. Also, I finished 2 hours early so I felt like there was plenty of time.

If anybody is interested in buying my used 2016 RxPrep & PassNaplexNow book & question bank book, message me! I also have ProntoPass MPJE index cards that I used to study for the MPJE that are helpful for NAPLEX compounding as well. If purchased, I would send along the condensed index cards I made for many disease states that I used almost every day to keep reinforcing my knowledge.

hello are ur index cards pronto pass notes still available for sale..? message me at [email protected]

What is ur next step? 1 more q are u from CA?
haha, the next step is to look for a job where anxiety and stress kick in if you haven't had a job offer. It's not easy to get a job in today market.
If you already had a job offer, then you worry about your "first day" working by yourself as a pharmacist.

Anyway, we all will face challenges in life and get over them.

haha, the next step is to look for a job where anxiety and stress kick in if you haven't had a job offer. It's not easy to get a job in today market.
If you already had a job offer, then you worry about your "first day" working by yourself as a pharmacist.

Anyway, we all will face challenges in life and get over them.
Thanks, and best of luck! Keep posted.

Pass NABLEX. 104 from the fist time. Even though I did not take my brake and I took the test 6hours in one set. This was my only mistake I did in this test. I used PassNAPLEXnow. I was use after the exam that I will pass. If you focus with their lectures you will answer in the test and you will be sure that you answer is correct. Many questions you will remember them from the lectures. The test is about your understanding of the subjects. They test your judgement.
Is your material available for sale? please let me know :)

Pass NABLEX. 104 from the fist time. Even though I did not take my brake and I took the test 6hours in one set. This was my only mistake I did in this test. I used PassNAPLEXnow. I was use after the exam that I will pass. If you focus with their lectures you will answer in the test and you will be sure that you answer is correct. Many questions you will remember them from the lectures. The test is about your understanding of the subjects. They test your judgement.
Please let me know if I can buy your study materials? Message me at [email protected]

Congratulations for passing the NAPLEX. Curious, has anybody used pharmacyquestionbank.com to practice NAPLEX question. Not sure if it worth the time. Looks like it is free and it has a few calculation and few biostat question.