NAPLEX November 2017 Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdgofly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I posted another thread here after I took the NAPLEX in November 2017, convinced I had failed, but I passed with an 85! But I wanted to share my experience in this format, because I found some of these very helpful in my preparation.

Some background: I wasn't a great pharmacy student. I got many Cs with some Bs and the occasional A. I didn't always go to class, I pretty much never studied for exams until the night before, etc. I was in a straight 6 year program. I worked at a retail pharmacy for about a year in my 3rd year of school.

(As an aside - the pharmacy was super understaffed. I worked as a tech/cashier for the most part and they repeatedly scheduled me for 10-20 hours a week (and we never got out on time) despite me asking them not to. For me, and probably most people, that is too many hours on top of pharmacy school. It was nice to have the hands-on experience with the drugs, but if anyone tries to make you work more than 10 hours a week as a full time pharmacy student, tell them to suck it.)

I was supposed to graduate in the spring of 2015, but I was already pretty burnt out going into rotations. I made it half-way through before the school canceled the rest of my rotations due to concerns with my mental health. I pretty much slept for a year and then finally resumed and finished my rotations in the last half of 2016. Then I attempted to get through the RxPrep book for about a year.

I had only ever heard that the NAPLEX was impossibly hard - that people spent weeks with posted notes on every surface of their homes so that they could study at all waking hours, even while they ate or showered. I had been out of school and practice for a year and a half and had only recently done half as many rotations as everyone else. I never learned how to study by any method other than cramming, which is impossible for a test of this magnitude.

Basically, I had a kind of rough time in school, and I was terrified of taking the NAPLEX.

But.. it really wasn't that hard! I scheduled the exam so that I would have 4 more weeks to prepare from that point. I had gotten through about 80% of the RxPrep book, and was confident I could get through the rest in the next month. I didn't. I got through maybe 5% more of the book in the first 3 weeks (really not good at studying), then panicked with a week to go - I had flash cards, old notes, internet resources, just anything I could find strewn everywhere and was ineffectually shifting from one to another just trying to cram everything (was super not helpful). The one good thing I did do, the day before the exam, was find this website (SDN) and do the 120 math questions.

If I had to do it all again, I would...
  • Definitely schedule it right away and only give myself a few weeks to study for it. The longer I put it off (to give myself time to study) the more impossible it felt.
  • I probably would not have bought the RxPrep book. It is definitely a good, somewhat condensed resource of a ton pharmacy information, but it is still LENGTHY - too lengthy for studying for the NAPLEX. It has way more information than you need, with too much highlighted as important, and doesn't really explain any concepts. (Plus, too many spelling/grammar mistakes, and too many references to information in other chapters of the book that just doesn't exist.) That said, I did like the math section of the RxPrep, and the chapters on compounding, sterility, and information resources were better than any notes I had, and turned out to be very useful for the exam.
  • Instead, I would buy a practice exam or two as suggested on these forums (from MedEd101), using internet resources or old class notes to look up questions I missed. (While procrastinating studying during the few days before the exam, I found a TED Talk presenting years of research which showed that the people who got the best grades (in any/all subject areas) were the people who did practice exams.)
  • I would also still do the SDN 120 math questions. (As mentioned, I did do the SDN math questions before my exam. They were far more complicated than anything I was asked on the NAPLEX, but they did get me really comfortable and quick with the math.)
It's like people always say - you passed pharmacy school, so you can pass the NAPLEX too! If you have a decent understanding of the concepts and can at least vaguely recognize most drug names and do simple algebra fairly quickly, you'll do fine!

99.8% of my non-calculation questions were straight multiple choice format. You've seen these drugs a million times over the last 6-8 years. Do not overthink it - gather the appropriate information from the charts for the question and then just go with your gut. I took that test assuming that I was not well enough prepared to pass, so I knew that agonizing over each question wasn't going to help. Because of this, I went with my gut on the majority of the non-math questions, finished 2 hours early, and passed! There will be questions that you need to think through, and questions that you just have to know the answer to. The majority of the questions you have to think through are math questions. So don't let your thoughts get in the way of what you know.

That said,
  • KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE BSA! (I didn't :() Also, calculations having to do with calcium, phenytoin, insulin vials & pens, and RR/RRR/ARR/NNT.
  • As others have said, I was asked a LOT of questions about compounding, sterility (USP), TPNs, and information resources.
  • I also had quite a few questions about vaccines (things you would need to know as a community pharmacist recommending and administering vaccines to certain common populations) and anticoagulants/antiplatelets (appropriate use and dosage).
  • Try to know the brand names of popular combos of HIV, DM, and Asthma/COPD meds.
  • As for ID - try to know at least the most common bugs and treatments ( shape, drug coverage, etc).
  • I had some questions about HIV, COPD, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimers, BPH, oncology.. but not a ton. So if you are super weak in some of these areas, I would probably not invest a bunch of time studying here and try to strengthen your math and the areas from the points above instead.
Good luck everyone, you've got this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My exam is in 2 weeks. Im super nervous because this will be my second attempt.

My first attempt I scored a 70% and thats AFTER going through the entire book, writing notes on each chapter and completing every module. I feel like I kind of over did it which can also be a bad thing. I wish I would of stuck to skimming and doing the QBank as you stated.

Hello all! I posted another thread here after I took the NAPLEX in November 2017, convinced I had failed, but I passed with an 85! But I wanted to share my experience in this format, because I found some of these very helpful in my preparation.

Some background: I wasn't a great pharmacy student. I got many Cs with some Bs and the occasional A. I didn't always go to class, I pretty much never studied for exams until the night before, etc. I was in a straight 6 year program. I worked at a retail pharmacy for about a year in my 3rd year of school.

(As an aside - the pharmacy was super understaffed. I worked as a tech/cashier for the most part and they repeatedly scheduled me for 10-20 hours a week (and we never got out on time) despite me asking them not to. For me, and probably most people, that is too many hours on top of pharmacy school. It was nice to have the hands-on experience with the drugs, but if anyone tries to make you work more than 10 hours a week as a full time pharmacy student, tell them to suck it.)

I was supposed to graduate in the spring of 2015, but I was already pretty burnt out going into rotations. I made it half-way through before the school canceled the rest of my rotations due to concerns with my mental health. I pretty much slept for a year and then finally resumed and finished my rotations in the last half of 2016. Then I attempted to get through the RxPrep book for about a year.

I had only ever heard that the NAPLEX was impossibly hard - that people spent weeks with posted notes on every surface of their homes so that they could study at all waking hours, even while they ate or showered. I had been out of school and practice for a year and a half and had only recently done half as many rotations as everyone else. I never learned how to study by any method other than cramming, which is impossible for a test of this magnitude.

Basically, I had a kind of rough time in school, and I was terrified of taking the NAPLEX.

But.. it really wasn't that hard! I scheduled the exam so that I would have 4 more weeks to prepare from that point. I had gotten through about 80% of the RxPrep book, and was confident I could get through the rest in the next month. I didn't. I got through maybe 5% more of the book in the first 3 weeks (really not good at studying), then panicked with a week to go - I had flash cards, old notes, internet resources, just anything I could find strewn everywhere and was ineffectually shifting from one to another just trying to cram everything (was super not helpful). The one good thing I did do, the day before the exam, was find this website (SDN) and do the 120 math questions.

If I had to do it all again, I would...
  • Definitely schedule it right away and only give myself a few weeks to study for it. The longer I put it off (to give myself time to study) the more impossible it felt.
  • I probably would not have bought the RxPrep book. It is definitely a good, somewhat condensed resource of a ton pharmacy information, but it is still LENGTHY - too lengthy for studying for the NAPLEX. It has way more information than you need, with too much highlighted as important, and doesn't really explain any concepts. (Plus, too many spelling/grammar mistakes, and too many references to information in other chapters of the book that just doesn't exist.) That said, I did like the math section of the RxPrep, and the chapters on compounding, sterility, and information resources were better than any notes I had, and turned out to be very useful for the exam.
  • Instead, I would buy a practice exam or two as suggested on these forums (from MedEd101), using internet resources or old class notes to look up questions I missed. (While procrastinating studying during the few days before the exam, I found a TED Talk presenting years of research which showed that the people who got the best grades (in any/all subject areas) were the people who did practice exams.)
  • I would also still do the SDN 120 math questions. (As mentioned, I did do the SDN math questions before my exam. They were far more complicated than anything I was asked on the NAPLEX, but they did get me really comfortable and quick with the math.)
It's like people always say - you passed pharmacy school, so you can pass the NAPLEX too! If you have a decent understanding of the concepts and can at least vaguely recognize most drug names and do simple algebra fairly quickly, you'll do fine!

99.8% of my non-calculation questions were straight multiple choice format. You've seen these drugs a million times over the last 6-8 years. Do not overthink it - gather the appropriate information from the charts for the question and then just go with your gut. I took that test assuming that I was not well enough prepared to pass, so I knew that agonizing over each question wasn't going to help. Because of this, I went with my gut on the majority of the non-math questions, finished 2 hours early, and passed! There will be questions that you need to think through, and questions that you just have to know the answer to. The majority of the questions you have to think through are math questions. So don't let your thoughts get in the way of what you know.

That said,
  • KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE BSA! (I didn't :() Also, calculations having to do with calcium, phenytoin, insulin vials & pens, and RR/RRR/ARR/NNT.
  • As others have said, I was asked a LOT of questions about compounding, sterility (USP), TPNs, and information resources.
  • I also had quite a few questions about vaccines (things you would need to know as a community pharmacist recommending and administering vaccines to certain common populations) and anticoagulants/antiplatelets (appropriate use and dosage).
  • Try to know the brand names of popular combos of HIV, DM, and Asthma/COPD meds.
  • As for ID - try to know at least the most common bugs and treatments ( shape, drug coverage, etc).
  • I had some questions about HIV, COPD, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimers, BPH, oncology.. but not a ton. So if you are super weak in some of these areas, I would probably not invest a bunch of time studying here and try to strengthen your math and the areas from the points above instead.
Good luck everyone, you've got this!

Congratulations. Thank you for taking out time to give us the details.

Reactions: 1 user
My first attempt I scored a 70% and thats AFTER going through the entire book, writing notes on each chapter and completing every module. I feel like I kind of over did it which can also be a bad thing. I wish I would of stuck to skimming and doing the QBank as you stated.

Oh my gosh, so close!!

Yeah, I just got so bogged down in that book! If you got through the whole thing though, you definitely know your stuff, especially with a score that close! So it sounds like you might just not be a very good test taker..? Sorry if that's being presumptuous!

My suggestion though, since you already know the info, is to make sure you're in top physical and mental shape when you go into that test!
  • Make sure you get a good night's sleep (at least 8 hours) the night before.
  • The day of, get up an hour or two before you have to leave, so you're fully awake by the time you get into that exam room!
  • Drink a glass of water or two right when you wake up (don't want to do this too close to the exam since there are limited bathroom breaks!) because your brain needs to be well hydrated to function well.
  • And please, make sure you eat a good meal before you go in!! It's a very long test, and you will not be able to perform well if your brain is starved of energy!
  • Try to make it a high protein, fat, and/or fiber meal, because too much carbohydrate can make you crash, and certainly won't last you through the test!
  • You should also bring a bottle of water and a snack (again, low carb) to consume during your break. I downed a protein shake and a bottle of water at my break and it was absolutely rejuvenating :)
  • I also dressed professionally for the exam, to make sure I was in the right mindset. (I even seriously considered wearing a white coat to the exam, since I learned so much of that information in a white coat!)
  • I dressed in layers, too, (you cannot wear an outer coat into the exam, but undershirt + shirt + cardigan is ok) so that I could make sure I wasn't uncomfortable temperature-wise, because that can really affect performance (at least for me!).
  • Pee right before the exam!
  • Take good, deep breaths this whole day - don't let yourself get wound up!
  • If you've spent more than 30 seconds thinking about a non-math question and just aren't sure, chances are that more time isn't going to help. You've graduated pharmacy school, done your rotations, and read a whole review book. Odds are you know it, even if you're not sure, so go with your instincts and move on!! Do NOT spend more than a minute on a non-math question, unless you're really sure you're on to something!
The point is that you really DO know this stuff, so in the 12 hours or so before the test, you should be relaxing, taking care of yourself, and walking into that exam with a clear mind and a ton of confidence!

For the next week though, I would suggest just doing a bunch of practice questions (including the Student Doctor Network 120 math questions) and look up and possibly make note cards over what you miss, just to help boost your confidence! I'd also go over the compounding, sterility, and info resources chapters again, and make sure you're solid on the equations I mentioned above, as well as BMI and CrCl.

Good luck! You've definitely got it this time :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! You've definitely got it this time :)

Thank you sooo much for your response. I was really feeling discouraged today and your words of encouragement were the motivation I needed to keep studying. It's funny that you mentioned the part about being a bad test taker because I really am. I get really anxious (like tears and all). I will most definitely keep you updated on how things turn out. Thank you again!

You studied the rx prep book for 1 whole year?

Not sure what tone you intended to use here, but it is possible to take a year for NAPLEX.
Tough situation can happen in life, rather it be mental health, death in the family, illness, abuse, etc.
Anxiety also takes over a huge portion of quality of life.

Thank you sooo much for your response. I was really feeling discouraged today and your words of encouragement were the motivation I needed to keep studying. It's funny that you mentioned the part about being a bad test taker because I really am. I get really anxious (like tears and all). I will most definitely keep you updated on how things turn out. Thank you again!

I view taking a multiple choice exam is a skill of it's own (completely separate from one's skill as a pharmacist), so I think it's a shame that it is the final barrier to becoming a pharmacist, especially when so many people are not innately good at it... (not that I can think of a better way :shrug:)

Just remember that actually practicing pharmacy will not be a multiple choice exam, so just because you're having a hard time with this does not necessarily mean that you're not going to be a great pharmacist!

Please do keep me updated! I'm confident that it will be good news :)

You studied the rx prep book for 1 whole year?

Not sure what tone you intended to use here, but it is possible to take a year for NAPLEX.
Tough situation can happen in life, rather it be mental health, death in the family, illness, abuse, etc.
Anxiety also takes over a huge portion of quality of life.

Thanks mangocurry :)

I had a lot of anxiety about this test, and about getting a job in pharmacy in general (mostly because of the break I took during rotations - having to talk about that with interviewers, possibly being rejected over it, etc.). And of course the more time that went by, the worse my anxiety over it got, and the more I procrastinated/ignored the studying and taking the test.

I tried to study the RxPrep book for a year. It's not like I was working on it 8 hours a day every day. As mentioned, I never learned to study by any means other than cramming, and so I wasn't sure really how to go about studying, and really didn't have the stamina for it. I felt like by the time I had gotten through one chapter, I had forgotten everything from the previous chapter. This was another source of anxiety about the test - not being prepared and not being sure how to go about being prepared for it.

Obviously, my fears were pretty baseless, as I didn't have too much trouble passing the test, but that's really the rub of anxiety/mental health issues. I'm glad if that's not something you've ever had to deal with. But that's why I wanted to share my experience, so that anyone who might be in a similar situation as me can maybe not fall into the same mental trap as I did.

Last edited:
Great tips, i had a similar experience although I would still have purchased the RxPrep book, perhaps not the online question bank though.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My exam is in 2 weeks. Im super nervous because this will be my second attempt.

I am writting mine in less then 2 months (march 3rd). I’m making flashcards for each chapter and its taking me ages! I’ve only done 12 chapters of rxprep. What was your first test experience like? Did rxprep make u waste time on stuff that wasnt important?

I am writting mine in less then 2 months (march 3rd). I’m making flashcards for each chapter and its taking me ages! I’ve only done 12 chapters of rxprep. What was your first test experience like? Did rxprep make u waste time on stuff that wasnt important?

Did making flashcards for each chapter work? Did you end up completing the entire book with note card? I was doing the same thing and it is taking a long time. Just wanted to get some advice from you if you do not mind sharing.

You may have already taken the exam already but I’ll answer anyways, maybe it will help someone reading this.

Rxprep does over prepare you but if you score well in qbank and 100% on calculations you should be fine. My issue is purely my anxiety. The exam is much easier than rxprep.