Narrowing down school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDWW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm currently a senior (planning on taking a gap year) and I roughly put together a school list using MSAR, but I'm having a hard time narrowing down the list. Any suggestions or advice would be great!

CA resident
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.42
(upward trend with 3.75+ starting my junior year)
MCAT: 515 (93rd percentile)
At top 20 university, not URM. I am unsure if I will decide to check that I am a disadvantaged applicant. My family has had very difficult financial situations (bankruptcy, losing home) starting my senior year of high school to sophomore year of college. Currently doing better, but family income is still >$30,000. I don't know if I would like to check that I am disadvantaged because I do not want my situations to be an "excuse" for my poor grades freshman and sophomore year. I'm hoping that they can gather that I am disadvantaged by looking at my application and personal statement. (Thoughts?)

500+ volunteer hours (soup kitchens, homeless shelters, tutoring at inner city after-school programs)
100+ clinical hours (abroad)
~50 hrs. shadowing
~400 clinical hours
2 years of research, 1 poster presentation (first author)
4 great LORs (2 science, 1 personal from PI, 1 non-science)

My list is quite long, but I am thinking of applying to somewhere between 25-30. I did get the Fee Assistance Program to help with application fees.

-Boston University
-Rosalind Franklin
-Creighton
-Drexel
-EVMS
-Emory (reach)
-Frank H. Netter at Quinnipiac
-GW
-Georgetown
-Hofstra
-Keck
-Temple
-Loyola Chicago
-MCW
-New York Medical College
-Rush
-Thomas Jefferson
-Toledo
-Tufts
-Tulane
-USF
-UCSD
-UCI
-UCLA
-UCR
-UCSD
-University of Miami Leonard M. Miller
-Rochester
-University of Vermont
-UW (dream school)
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Virginia Tech
-Wake Forest
-Western Michigan Homer Stryker

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely to be classified as EO1 whether you check "disadvantaged" or not (your parental highest education level will cinch it).
I would delete: U of W (not WAMI), UCR (unless you are connected to the IE), Emory, BU and Hofstra (your IS schools will give you enough reaches) and the Georges (low yield). Miami seems to prefer high stat CA applicants. Drexel is also low yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Rush, from Goro's comment in another thread.

"Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)"

Reactions: 1 user
Add Saint Louis UIC and perhaps Oakland as well(first two particularly).

If you want reaches, Id consider Einstein or Cincinnati in place of Emory Boston U and Hofstra(of the 3 you can keep Hofstra if you really want). There really isnt much use in having Toledo and USF on your list. In addition to what gyngyn listed Rochester, UCSD, UCLA, Rush and Temple are more low yield schools on your list if you want to make cuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Suggest adding MCW as well.

Add Saint Louis UIC and perhaps Oakland as well(first two particularly).

If you want reaches, Id consider Einstein or Cincinnati in place of Emory Boston U and Hofstra(of the 3 you can keep Hofstra if you really want). There really isnt much use in having Toledo and USF on your list. In addition to what gyngyn listed Rochester, UCSD, UCLA, Rush and Temple are more low yield schools on your list if you want to make cuts.