National Guard Loan Repayment after HPSP Payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJHarmyAggie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a 3 year Army HPSP scholarship during dental school. I didn't take the signing bonus so I only had to pay back 3 years. I'm getting out in 6 months, which will complete my payback, and starting a civilian endo residency. I still have student loans from my first year of dental school as an out of state student. The National Guard recruiter assures me that I can get 40k of student loan repayment per year, even if I did HPSP. Anyone know if that's true?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember looking into the active duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) a while back. I read the regulation, and it specifically stated that HPSP recipients were not eligible for HPLRP, though it may have only specified that for 4 year HPSP recipients... I can't recall, and it may be different for National Guard since the money might be state money, not federal. Anyway, the takeaway is: don't trust the recruiter's word, don't trust answers from random people on SDN. Ask the recruiter to provide you the regulation governing the National Guard's HPLRP. The correct answer to your question will be in that reg, and you should not sign anything until your recruiter shows it to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I believe that HPLRP only applies to the active component. I'm not familiar with the NG or Reserve loan repayment programs. The one thing I do know is that you still owe 5 years of Reserve time. The one question to ask is "Am I eligible for this Program while still doing the Reserve portion of my payback for HPSP?"

I believe that HPLRP only applies to the active component. I'm not familiar with the NG or Reserve loan repayment programs. The one thing I do know is that you still owe 5 years of Reserve time. The one question to ask is "Am I eligible for this Program while still doing the Reserve portion of my payback for HPSP?"

USArmyHPSP makes a great point. You will still be serving your original 8 year MSO when you affiliate with the National Guard, which may very well make you ineligible for HPLRP until after that obligation is served. It is possible that you may be eligible, but I am sure it will add consecutively to your current obligation, as there is no way they are going to give you loan repayment paid back with service you already owe for HPSP. Again, the answers to these and more will be found in that regulation.