National Health Service Corps Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just received an interview for this award. I plan on going but am just a bit apprehensive about having to go into primary care, or more so having to make that decision at such an early stage. Does anybody know anyone who has participated in this program, and if so has things turned out? Are there any specialties that you are allowed to pursue?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a little feedback please

I can't say that I know much about this, but after talking to a professor at a med school during second look weekend, he shared that the repayment options may be more attractive. That is, when you apply for the repayment component, you have a greater flexibility as to where you work. You can even work in an urban environment provided that the zip code indicates that you're working in an under-served community. You still have to work in a primary care specialty, but you'll have a little more leeway in deciding what path you want to take and you won't have to make the decision in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at a free clinic in San Francisco and if I am correct that scholarship will pay quite a lot towards your medical education (about 60%). However, it is for those who go into primary care, and you have to work in an underserved clinic/hospital setting for two years after you receive your MD. The person who I know who has done this is a PA actually and he didn't mind at all because he enjoys working in that type of setting.

Could you help me by directing me to a web site or something?

There is a bunch of information on this scholarship in the Financial Aid Forum on SDN.

MDinTraining26 said:
Could you help me by directing me to a web site or something?

There's a huge thread on the Financial Aid board on this topic (people who've been accepted to the program and people who are currently applying). You've already missed the deadline for this year. But here's the link anyhow:

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/