National Petition for Safe Staffing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icuRNmaggie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/provide-federal-legislation-nurse-patient-ratios

On 9/17/2015 this petition was filed requesting Federal regulations for nurse patient ratios. We have obtained 17,934 verified signatures over the past week. 100,000 signatures are needed by
10/17/2015 to garner a video response from the President.

The necessary legislation, S.864 and H.R. 1602, is lost in committee but we hope to make enough noise to pass this crucial legislation. This would provide national nurse patient staffing ratios similar to California and enable us to give your patients the care that they deserve.

Please sign the petition and share this message and the link.

Thank you in advance for your help with this effort. Maggie

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the better thing to do is to eliminate all the nonsense charting. I don't need a morse fall scale (wtf is this?) I don't need to wade through millions of notes in the emr about whether the call light is in reach when I'm trying to see what the other doctors had to say. Don't need most of that nursing assessment in the chart besides vitals.

I see nurses at the computer way more than at the bedside. The vast majority is useless. The worst is when you ask for outside hospital notes hoping for a detailed discharge summary and when the fax finally comes you get a stack of nursing notes

I signed your petition though

Reactions: 1 users
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/provide-federal-legislation-nurse-patient-ratios

On 9/17/2015 this petition was filed requesting Federal regulations for nurse patient ratios. We have obtained 17,934 verified signatures over the past week. 100,000 signatures are needed by
10/17/2015 to garner a video response from the President.

The necessary legislation, S.864 and H.R. 1602, is lost in committee but we hope to make enough noise to pass this crucial legislation. This would provide national nurse patient staffing ratios similar to California and enable us to give your patients the care that they deserve.

Please sign the petition and share this message and the link.

Thank you in advance for your help with this effort. Maggie
Thanks, Maggie. Will Pres. Obama truly respond with a video just because there are 100,000 signatures? I didn't know that's how it worked, but I hope you're right. That would be really interesting to say the least.

On a related topic, I'd also like to see safe doctor to nurse to patient ratios in order to provide the quality care that our patients deserve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea. Mainly because my wife is a nurse and I have to hear about it every day. And some of the stuff she talks about is simply unsafe.

But I don't know if the Federal government setting regulations is the answer. I want less government in healthcare.

Edit: Though I'll admit that's pretty much impossible at this point.

A call for more federal control of health care will simply complicate things and increase costs. This is not a good idea

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, Maggie. Will Pres. Obama truly respond with a video just because there are 100,000 signatures? I didn't know that's how it worked, but I hope you're right. That would be really interesting to say the least.

On a related topic, I'd also like to see safe doctor to nurse to patient ratios in order to provide the quality care that our patients deserve.

Any petition that gains at least 100,000 signatures on the site petitions.whitehouse.gov is now required to garner a response from the white house. Look up the Death Star Petition response, it's...interesting.

But it never will be, because hospitals will always accept worse outcomes in exchange for more money. After all, they can just blame the outcomes on you.
Makes you wonder how all this pay for performance is going to play out... besides not well for us, that is.

I think the better thing to do is to eliminate all the nonsense charting. I don't need a morse fall scale (wtf is this?) I don't need to wade through millions of notes in the emr about whether the call light is in reach when I'm trying to see what the other doctors had to say. Don't need most of that nursing assessment in the chart besides vitals.

I see nurses at the computer way more than at the bedside. The vast majority is useless. The worst is when you ask for outside hospital notes hoping for a detailed discharge summary and when the fax finally comes you get a stack of nursing notes

I signed your petition though
They probably do all that charting for legal reasons?

They probably do all that charting for legal reasons?

Legal and $$$. Skin integrity assessments for example - if you have a pressure ulcer that's present on admission you get money to fix it. If it develops while in the hospital you don't get paid for it... hence why nurses chart skin integrity. Plus the hospital has a scapegoat if someone develops a pressure ulcer if there is a nurse who forgot to document every instance of them turning the patient...

They can be funny though. I'm glad that "call bell light in reach" is diligently charted q1 hour in my paralyzed ECMO patients. Somewhere I'm sure there is a hospital administrator patting themselves on the back for how well their CVICU nurses are charting.

Reactions: 1 user
Legal and $$$. Skin integrity assessments for example - if you have a pressure ulcer that's present on admission you get money to fix it. If it develops while in the hospital you don't get paid for it... hence why nurses chart skin integrity. Plus the hospital has a scapegoat if someone develops a pressure ulcer if there is a nurse who forgot to document every instance of them turning the patient...

They can be funny though. I'm glad that "call bell light in reach" is diligently charted q1 hour in my paralyzed ECMO patients. Somewhere I'm sure there is a hospital administrator patting themselves on the back for how well their CVICU nurses are charting.

I mean it seems like it would be easier to leave more time to just turn the patient instead of wasting time with inputting bs that no one reads but i guess there's a reason nobody asks me

I mean it seems like it would be easier to leave more time to just turn the patient instead of wasting time with inputting bs that no one reads but i guess there's a reason nobody asks me

Your opinions don't sign dem hospital administrator bonus checks unfortunately. And neither does good patient care.

Reactions: 1 user
I just read some nursing note where they calculated some fake fall score and i was like wtf are you serious? This guy is 80 and he was admitted for falling obviously he's at high risk of falling