national society of collegiate scholars...worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...is this honors society...or any of the other ones who have cluttered my mailbox all year...actually worht it? will any med school actually care or is this just a waste of my money. thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

people will surely have varying opinions on this, but for me Ive often considered putting on applications that i was smart enough NOT to join such groups, maybe i still will

i did it...i can't say it helped, but it didn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it one you have to pay for? even if it's not, it's still worthless IMO.

I joined NSCS thinking "resume fodder" but by the time I applied to medical school I had a lot more interesting, worthwhile, substantial experiences that made it onto the AMCAS instead. That's not to say that the mentoring and stuff I was able to do through NSCS wasn't worthwhile, but that it was shallow by comparison to most other activities. So I say, join it if you want to, but make it a goal to do so many other meaningful things that you ultimately don't even mention your membership in it when it comes time to apply.

da MD said:
hey guys...is this honors society...or any of the other ones who have cluttered my mailbox all year...actually worht it? will any med school actually care or is this just a waste of my money. thanks a lot.

pointless!!!!!!!

joined it 3 years ago. Waste of money. It definatley won't be the highlight of your application.

brilliant scheme designed by scam artists preying on the insecurities of undergrads. Same with all of those "who's who" people that want you to buy their pretty little books.

Flopotomist said:
brilliant scheme designed by scam artists preying on the insecurities of undergrads. Same with all of those "who's who" people that want you to buy their pretty little books.

Totally agree with Flopotomist about "Who's Who." Fie upon those pretty little books and their transparent moneymaking ploy. I heartily doubt the dean of Harvard Medical School goes perusing through the pages of the WW in his downtime looking for winners. And if your grandma needs validation of your greatness, save the fifty bucks and make her a fingerpainting to hang on the fridge instead.

But NSCS, on the other hand, actually has some decent scholarship offerings
(...sorry BrettBachelor. Their loss.)

If you get invited to Phi Beta Kappa - join it.

As for the rest, I think I paid $50 to join one that actually had pretty selective requirements, just thought it might look nice to put on stuff (Phi Kappa Phi I think?). Plus I got a really sweet pin!

So... anyone who's in it that enjoyed it, or do y'all not like it? Sorry for bump, trying to determine whether to join.

Compass said:
So... anyone who's in it that enjoyed it, or do y'all not like it? Sorry for bump, trying to determine whether to join.
Rule of thumb for any honors and/or societies: If you have to pay to be a member or honoree, don't.

FloridaMadame said:
Rule of thumb for any honors and/or societies: If you have to pay to be a member or honoree, don't.

You're forgetting that ALL societies/clubs usually have a membership fee. I joined NSCS and it's all in what YOU DO. If you commit to being an officer, to organize volunteering events, to go to volunteering/social meetings, then you have got your money's worth. If you just pay and never go to the meetings and participate, yes, it's pointless.