National University Singapore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izad Rasheed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of all the international med schools I've seen, NUS looks really good. Perhaps too good.

Has anyone been through NUS, or considered NUS, or know anyone in NUS, because if half the stuff they say about it online / in Singapore is true, then why doesn't anyone GO there (at least from this board, hehe)

Members don't see this ad.

That IS an outstanding school. Keep in mind that graduates from there enjoy UNMLIMITED registration with the GMC of Great Britain, so that says about all it needs to say. A clencher with the school is that--and this is last I researched it, so verify this if it is still so--attending the school comes with an obligatory four years of government service. Another is that you must be young--I forget the age limit, but it is pretty far under thirty.

Stephen is right, medical schools in Singapore, South Africa, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and University of West Indies have UNLIMITED registration. I don't know what that means but it sound good too me. My cousin was the best and the brighest in high school in Singapore and still he couldn't get in medical school in Singapore. Competition is EXTREMELY cut-throat for Singaporians to get in. Should feel lucky that you have a chance to do it. Here's the website for GMC registration stuff: <a href="http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/registration_frameset.htm" target="_blank">http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/registration_frameset.htm</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
hi izad, NUS is a very good medical school with a very good program, i guess why you haven't heard about it much is because over 90% of it's students are singaporeans and most of them tend to stay in singapore after graduation. NUS also enjoys unlimited registration with the GMC meaning that their graduates can proceed straight to residency in the UK without taking the PLAB. i did some research on NUS a while back and i can tell you that their doctos are top notch, i think they have like four years of clinicals or something. my advice, if you get a chance to go there take it.

Hi guys,

After getting all your advice I thought I'd update you all.

IT's 5 years mandatory serving in Singapore for Singaporeans and 6 years for other nationalities -- ouch. It won't hurt me much ~ I plan on living in Singapore whether I'm an NUS alumni or not :p

Thanks for the information!

What do you mean by mandatory serving? Are you talking about conscription? I also want to live in Singapore eventually, I thought the enlistment was only 2 years for a Singaporean citizen, and *hoped* Permanent Residents didn't have to do any (Screw relinquishing my british and NZ passports :) .

Also do you know if doctors trained in the commonwealth have to sit entry exams into singapore's health system, or is it automatic :)

keep in mind GMC in Great Britain is seeking to remove the unlimited status of the aforementioned schools and give it only to other European Union countries.
When I contacted them, they gave me no explanation, no timeline or other information whether or when this will actually happen. I'm going to Queensland, and with my British passport I could walk into any hospital in UK. But who knows if that will be the case a couple of years from now

Purifyer, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's 5 years for Singaporeans and 6 for the rest of us.

What I meant by "mandatory serving" is you have to stay and work as a doctor in Singapore for 5 or 6 years. No running off to other countries to practice. That's to prevent a 'brain-drain' and leave uneducated people in Singapore while the smarties get rich elsewhere. I think if you do graduate training at NUS, they defer your 5/6 year serving until after you do your graduate. There's no escaping it. They call it a 'bond', and that's exactly what it is.

Anyone know about MD/MBBS doctors educated OUTSIDE of Singapore getting jobs in Singapore? Do they have their own GMC or...?

What about doing MBBS elsewhere (India) and then doing post graduate in NUS? What are some pro's and con's to it, has anyone done it? Are there any sort of "bond"ing or other restrictions?

the Gmc has removed the Unlimited registration for NUS med graduates.
search it up in google or something.. i cant find the exact link..

the unlimited registration was put up for historical reasons ( commonwealth etc, language ) and has nothing to do with the quality of the grads. With that said, NUS is an amazing med school nevertheless.

yes jue is right, most nus medics are singaporeans themselves. it is terribly hard to gain entry into med fac even with stellar grades, you should be counting your lucky stars if you do get in.

i would if i do get in next year... ;)

some singaporean doctors were trained overseas in the first place, ;). as for foreign doctors, you could check our the nhg website, i think nhg has hired quite a few foreign doctors.

First: What's GMC?

Second: I'm planning on taking my clinical attachments (2 x 8 weeks) at NUS. Anyone with experience or advice, who cares to write to me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Singh

Singh said:
First: What's GMC?

Second: I'm planning on taking my clinical attachments (2 x 8 weeks) at NUS. Anyone with experience or advice, who cares to write to me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Singh

GMC is the General Medical Council, you might want to take a look at this www.gmc-uk.org