Natural Sciences: BIOLOGY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artanis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the people who have ALREADY TAKEN THE DAT and are willing to provide some tips and helpful input regarding the Biology Section.

I have just completed the entire Kaplan Blue Book with respect to the biology section, as well I have supplemented it with Cliff's AP Biology. Completely done, don't know it down to the hormone, but I know it really well since its mostly all review.

Referring to the Syllabus they provided on the website http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_test_specifications.pdf.

Now, I have already heard that Kaplan's Blue book is lacking, I already supplemented with Cliff's AP bio. Evidently, a few topics were NOT covered in either of my biology materials.

1. Cell and Molecular Biology - A. Origin of Life (quite vague)

3. Structure and Function of Systems - A. Integumentary, K. Reproductive

Everything else seems to be covered, however I am not sure if its sufficient. Will those who already took the DAT please shead some light on which portions (referring SPECIFICALLY to the outline above) they were able/would have been able to have more than sufficient preparation for the biology section had they known in advance. Also, as biology has been tested more conceptually over the years, I am still wondering how much detail is required from this studying. Any examples of the areas (not questions specifically) that caught you off-guard would be great!

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan has origin of life (both of them). Or do you mean that lightning theory that made amino acids?

kaplan blue book is a good way of understanding the very basics but I suggest something else to get more detailed understanding of the topics covered on the DAT. People say schaum's bio outlines are excessive but I say the more you know, the better prepared you are.

kaplan blue book is a good way of understanding the very basics but I suggest something else to get more detailed understanding of the topics covered on the DAT. People say schaum's bio outlines are excessive but I say the more you know, the better prepared you are.

Well, I read almost all of Campbell's Biology book for the bio section. I did very well and it was spot on on most sections. I would highly recommend reading through your old bio book should you have time. That is about the only way to guarantee you should at least have covered almost every topic possible, except lab topics. But those should/could have been covered in lab supposing you look bio with lab.