NAU vs. REGIS vs PACIFIC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTbound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so torn on this decision!!

Is Northern Arizona's program comparable in caliber to Pacific University? I know Regis is the top...
How much does location matter? Building/Classrooms?

Any help is much appreciated. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptances, would you mind sharing your stats?

All great choices, congrats. Have you thought about cost, clinical time, academic support? I would choose the one that best fits your learning (if you are hands-on choose one with most clinical time) or follow your gut feeling!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't know why people post these types of threads. It just seems like you're bragging and looking for attention, poor you with this *really hard* decision you have to make! I get it, you are torn. We're all at our wits end here after months and months of this process. But are you really going to listen to me if I say choose NAU because they have great facilities? Or choose Regis because Denver can't be beat? That would be a pretty low understanding of self-awareness on your part. I would take some time, away from the SDN, and think about what's most important to you and you alone: is it cost? location? prestige? accessibility to good clinical sites? For me if I had to be perfectly honest I am most concerned with location and accessibility/quality of professors and have chosen my interviews/acceptances accordingly. Hopefully you've done the research at all of these schools, paid attention at the interviews, and have a good sense of how YOU would fit in to each school!

All of these are very good programs and are difficult to get into. When you say " I know Regis is the top " do you mean that it's your #1 choice or are you going off of the PT school rankings which mean very little or nothing ? With all 3 being desirable programs I would make overall cost a high priority in my decision. I believe that the majority of us would choose NAU out of these three.

Go with your gut feeling. That is what I did because as you know I was torn as well. But I am happy with my decision. I ended up going with the program that I thought I fit best in overall. I liked all of the faculty members that I met, liked all of the students and possible future students I met, they had opportunities in what I am interested in, great scholarship opportunities, excellent pass rates, just overall I was just impressed by the whole program when I interviewed. They didn't have the most top of the line facilities or the perfect location but I realized that this is my education that I am paying for I want to be happy with the program that I am in. Don't get me wrong though location was still a deciding factor. So take that in to account. You want to be happy with where you are living for the next 3 years. That is honestly the thing I am having the hardest time with. I chose a school in a big city 5 hours away from home. I know that I will be just fine there but I still am still very nervous about the change. So for sure make sure to take location into account.
Also as for NAU and Pacific being comparable I think that they are very comparable. In my mind I feel like they are both very high quality schools where you will be getting an excellent education. Both have good pass rates on the NPTE.

All of these are very good programs and are difficult to get into. When you say " I know Regis is the top " do you mean that it's your #1 choice or are you going off of the PT school rankings which mean very little or nothing ? With all 3 being desirable programs I would make overall cost a high priority in my decision. I believe that the majority of us would choose NAU out of these three.

I agree with rockstudy - the "rankings" while not worthless really should not be your primary criteria for chosing a program. Cost for a DPT can be quite high and NAU would certainly be my choice as well mainly because of tuition but I also know it's a great program. If cost is a very subordinate concern, then go with the program that feels right to you in terms of location, board exam pass rates, faculty supportiveness and other factors that only you can determine based on your interaction with all three schools. Good luck!!

Hello!

I honestly just want to thank everyone for their comments. It has been a huge help to me to hear each of your perspectives on these schools and the decision making process in general. I have read each comment with the intent of just feeling how much the factors mentioned or approaches to deciding resonate with me personally. I have found it to be a big help in regaining perspective on my own desires for PT schools.

So, thank you to each of you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Smiles,
DPTBound

And...Oregon48, sorry if my original post felt like a plea for attention. That was NOT my motive at all.

.... sorry if my original post felt like a plea for attention. That was NOT my motive at all.

No need to apologize. There are some on this board whose patience has worn thin either because the uncertainty of pending acceptance is killing them or (if they've been accepted) perhaps they've forgotten what it feels like to be on the outside looking in, as you are now. :)

I think looking for insight on multiple programs is a valid question to ask. I can't give any specific advice since I do not know anything particular about the programs, but hopefully you have enough information to make your decision. Congrats again.

And...Oregon48, sorry if my original post felt like a plea for attention. That was NOT my motive at all.[/QUOTE]

Ok...lapse of judgement in my part to come down so harshly. I sincerely apologize...consider it a pre-coffee post mixed with a bit of jealousy for being accepted into so many great programs! For the record I think NAU is a great decision...way cheaper than Regis (I think), and trust me, Hillsboro (pacific) is not a great place to live! which is what I SHOULD have said before the pre-PT waiting-around monster came to life! I think all the angst on this forum has gotten me all riled up. So, I'm sorry and good luck!