navigating change of specialty interests in 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexagator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into 3rd year, and still don't know for sure what specialty I want to go into. For the past 2 years I've done research related to the most competitive fields I thought I would be interested in (plastics/ENT), but recently I've come to the realization that I don't think I'm well suited to handle the stress of an intense surgical lifestyle. Plus just coming to terms that I don't think I have the dexterity for surgery lols, I'm much more cerebral and not sure if I actually would like working with my hands. And lastly, I just don't think I'm competitive enough in general for these highly selective fields, and I don't want to burn myself out trying to go for them.

I'm wondering how I should approach research and 3rd year from here on out. I've wrapped up my previous research project, but I don't think I should pick up a new plastics project if I'm not going into it. Problem is I'm not sure what I'm applying into - based on shadowing experiences in the past, fields I'm open to are IM (heme/onc), peds radiology, anesthesiology, maybe psych? I have my psych rotation early in the year, and if I end up really liking it, I'm hoping it shouldn't be too hard connecting with faculty and getting involved in the field. However, I don't have peds and IM until the later half of my year. And no radiology or anesthesiology clinical opportunities until 4th year electives.....

Does anyone have any advice on how to set myself up moving forward for success in terms of research, building connections, getting letters of rec when I'm still so clueless on what I want to do?

I'm also worried about how it'll look on my app if I have research in a completely unrelated and much more competitive field than what I end up applying to, I feel like it might be looked down upon :/

Members don't see this ad.

Of the new fields you mentioned, only radiology would 'require' significant research. I would not stress about research if you want to go into IM, peds, anesthesia, or psych --- clinical grades and LOR's will be much more important.

Your approach should be to work hard and do well on all of your rotations, and to keep an open mind when exploring new specialties. Peds was my last rotation fo 3rd year and that's when I decided I wanted to do it. You'll have plenty of time. If you do well on rotations you'll have people to ask for letters.

If you think you're interested in rads or anesthesia, try to set up an elective in each for next summer, at the start of M4.

If someone asks why you have so much ENT/plastics research, just tell them the truth -- you thought you were into it so got involved w/ research then realized that wasn't for you.

tl;dr: your main focus should be to stay open minded and do well clinically.

Reactions: 1 user
Of the new fields you mentioned, only radiology would 'require' significant research. I would not stress about research if you want to go into IM, peds, anesthesia, or psych --- clinical grades and LOR's will be much more important.

Your approach should be to work hard and do well on all of your rotations, and to keep an open mind when exploring new specialties. Peds was my last rotation fo 3rd year and that's when I decided I wanted to do it. You'll have plenty of time. If you do well on rotations you'll have people to ask for letters.

If you think you're interested in rads or anesthesia, try to set up an elective in each for next summer, at the start of M4.

If someone asks why you have so much ENT/plastics research, just tell them the truth -- you thought you were into it so got involved w/ research then realized that wasn't for you.

tl;dr: your main focus should be to stay open minded and do well clinically.

Thank you, that's very reassuring!
My last core rotation of M3 year ends at the end of June (not sure if this is the norm for most schools?), and given that residency apps open that month and are due in September, is that still enough time? It seems a bit tight if I want to set up electives for rads and anesthesia.
Maybe there's a way to sneak in some anesthesia exposure during surgery though...

Thank you, that's very reassuring!
My last core rotation of M3 year ends at the end of June (not sure if this is the norm for most schools?), and given that residency apps open that month and are due in September, is that still enough time? It seems a bit tight if I want to set up electives for rads and anesthesia.
Maybe there's a way to sneak in some anesthesia exposure during surgery though...

Hmm, to me that seems a bit late. Is there no way to push some core clerkships back a bit and do an elective during third year?

If you think you're interested in rads or anesthesia, I would reach out to someone in the department who could serve as an advisor and give you recommendations on things like timing of an elective and how to obtain letters for that field. I am assuming people from your school go into those fields, so it's certainly possible.

Best of luck!