Navigating hospitalist before fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lccjblu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a hospitalist position for 1 year before applying for Gi fellowship this next cycle, and was hoping to get some advice from those that have gone through the process.

Was anyone ever blunt about only wanting a 1 year hospitalist position before entering fellowship? I’m applying to a very saturated market and I don’t want to hurt my chances of landing a job, so I have not been advertising the fact that i want to pursue fellowship.

How was your hospitalist contract structured? Was there any verbiage about it being a multi-year commitment and what were the penalities for quitting after one year?

Finally, was there a non-compete clause? And if so, would t apply if you were to match at the same medical center or one just across town but obviously for a different specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m looking for a hospitalist position for 1 year before applying for Gi fellowship this next cycle, and was hoping to get some advice from those that have gone through the process.

Was anyone ever blunt about only wanting a 1 year hospitalist position before entering fellowship? I’m applying to a very saturated market and I don’t want to hurt my chances of landing a job, so I have not been advertising the fact that i want to pursue fellowship.

How was your hospitalist contract structured? Was there any verbiage about it being a multi-year commitment and what were the penalities for quitting after one year?

Finally, was there a non-compete clause? And if so, would t apply if you were to match at the same medical center or one just across town but obviously for a different specialty?

just do locums, then leaving is not an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair points. I considered Locums, but nothing available within a reasonable distance (eg<1hr) to where I need to be. I have a young kid at home so location and stability are important.
you can talk to the physician recruiters at hospitals that are in the area you want to see if they would hire you per diem...many times they will do moonlighting need though that.