Navigating Transitions and Charting New Paths | JAMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cellsaver

For older non-trads considering medical school.
The link is to JAMA but access is free for this article
The author even provides his email address in case you wish to contact him.

###

Navigating Transitions and Charting New Paths | JAMA
Navigating Transitions and Charting New Paths

Philip A. Pizzo, MD (1)
Dean, School of Medicine, Stanford University (2001 - 2012)
Philip A. Pizzo, M.D.'s Profile | Stanford Profiles

(1)The Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute, Stanford University and Pediatrics and Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California
JAMA. 2017;317(16):1625-1626. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.19239

"Despite these dramatic changes in life expectancy, the social narrative of work and retirement is still defined by Otto von Bismarck’s pension eligibility in 1883 and the New Deal policies, especially Social Security, in 1935. The benchmark of 65 years of age still signals the time for retirement, and, while it is not mandatory in the United States, it creates a social expectation for individuals and many employers. There is also the assumption that older workers are not as productive..."

"I recall the tonality of the days immediately surrounding my transition: the number of individuals seeking my time or counsel rapidly evaporated, and the hundreds of emails that had petitioned my attention were replaced by junk mail. Even though my transition was to the full-time faculty, many asked me about how it felt to be retired, and I couldn’t escape feeling as if I was being slotted to the past tense. Or when I ran into a colleague, student, or trainee for a while, it was startling when there was an expression of surprise that I was “still around.”

"If midlife programs encourage renewed purpose, community building, and wellness, they might help compress morbidity for individuals and reduce the need for medical and social services for society. That would allow the navigation of career transitions to promote the health of both individuals and society."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: