NAVLE 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetMedStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to keep the trend going like previous years… when do y’all think the scores are going to be released? 😅😥

Members don't see this ad.

There's a discussion for this over in pre-vet in the class of 2022 thread :)

Reactions: 1 user
Well everyone at my school thought we were getting them today (based on previous years).... apparently not the case lol

I'm thinking soon, website says "mid-January." I was also hopeful for yesterday but I'm guessing not until Tuesday at the earliest now :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted them because I noted many times they worded it as results released "by mid-January" not in- funny wording but worth a shot to find out an answer. Since then I have been in communication with them, the only helpful bits they can give me (as this person I am communicating with is not on the NAVLE scoring committee) are that scores "should be up within the next week or so" as of 01/18 and that in the event someone does fail and need to resit the exam in the Spring 2022 window they still have our letters from our universities on file and all we should need to do is reapply, which they state we will have ample time to do before the Feb 1 application deadline for the Spring 2022 window! Sorry that is a giant run-on but hopefully it helps someone, as you can probably tell I am extremely nervous! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Over in the pre-vet c/o 2022 thread, @FrostySparrow posted this pic too. So up until 1/28 I guess is fair game... 😭

Attachments

• 1642639355833.png
    1642639355833.png
    350.2 KB · Views: 371
Hi everyone, I just took the navle for the first time, and was wondering if anyone knew when the results would roughly come out for this spring session. The spring session is from March 13-April 30. I know for the fall session it took a whole month for results to come out. I’m so worried and don’t feel great about it. Everyone else I have talked to however also said the same thing and they all passed..so I’m just not sure how to feel about it!

Another question, does anyone know how the ICVA scores the NAVLE? It’s weird because it’s 452 and above is passing but there’s only 360 questions so I was just seeing if anyone knows how they do it?

Thanks!

Another question, does anyone know how the ICVA scores the NAVLE? It’s weird because it’s 452 and above is passing but there’s only 360 questions so I was just seeing if anyone knows how they do it?
Are you sure on that passing score? I believe it is 425 (or it was for the class of 2021).

Questions are basically worth 1, 2, or 3 points depending on their difficulty level. Easy questions are 1 point, hard questions are 3. And 60 questions don't count because they are being tested for fairness/usability. You just don't know which section of 60 are the test questions. So across the 300 scored questions, you need to get 425+.

Are you sure on that passing score? I believe it is 425 (or it was for the class of 2021).

Questions are basically worth 1, 2, or 3 points depending on their difficulty level. Easy questions are 1 point, hard questions are 3. And 60 questions don't count because they are being tested for fairness/usability. You just don't know which section of 60 are the test questions. So across the 300 scored questions, you need to get 425+.

Sorry yes it is 425. Ok I totally forgot they add 60 questions that are new for testing that will be taken out. I had no idea certain questions were worth more! It still doesn’t make sense to me how they grade it though if you have 300 questions and need 425 or above, that just doesn’t make sense to me, like usually in vet school you need a passing score of above 70% for example so if the test has 100 questions each worth one point you would need a 70/100 to pass. So that’s my confusion! Thank you for your response and if you know or have any help on how they score of this that would be great!

Sorry yes it is 425. Ok I totally forgot they add 60 questions that are new for testing that will be taken out. I had no idea certain questions were worth more! It still doesn’t make sense to me how they grade it though if you have 300 questions and need 425 or above, that just doesn’t make sense to me, like usually in vet school you need a passing score of above 70% for example so if the test has 100 questions each worth one point you would need a 70/100 to pass. So that’s my confusion! Thank you for your response and if you know or have any help on how they score of this that would be great!
They don't determine passing by a base percentage. They determine passing using a bell curve

So I took the navle in the spring and didn’t pass unfortunately. A couple questions:

1. Does everyone start a brand new Vet Prep instead of continuing with their old one? I did not get to 80%.
2. What do you do about a job? Are we able to still work as vets? How does that work?
3. If we can’t work as a vet, what do people do in between? I’ve graduated so it’s not like I’m in school or have rotations..

Thank you in advance

So I took the navle in the spring and didn’t pass unfortunately. A couple questions:

1. Does everyone start a brand new Vet Prep instead of continuing with their old one? I did not get to 80%.
2. What do you do about a job? Are we able to still work as vets? How does that work?
3. If we can’t work as a vet, what do people do in between? I’ve graduated so it’s not like I’m in school or have rotations..

Thank you in advance
You can definitely work for the USDA without a license. FSIS has the ability to hire you for an immediate start. Not glamorous work, but you wil be employed as a veterinarian while you study for your next NAVLE attempt.

Some clinics will let you work in some sort of supervised capacity I believe. Someone in my class going to work for Banfield had mentioned it. She had failed her first attempt and they said she could still work and keep her contract even if she failed her second attempt. Might be a state by state basis depending on how licensing works for that state. Or might be some wackiness where you're a vet tech or something until you pass. Idk. I can give you the email of the Banfield recruiter I spoke to, I'm sure she would know.

You can definitely work for the USDA without a license. FSIS has the ability to hire you for an immediate start. Not glamorous work, but you wil be employed as a veterinarian while you study for your next NAVLE attempt.

Some clinics will let you work in some sort of supervised capacity I believe. Someone in my class going to work for Banfield had mentioned it. She had failed her first attempt and they said she could still work and keep her contract even if she failed her second attempt. Might be a state by state basis depending on how licensing works for that state. Or might be some wackiness where you're a vet tech or something until you pass. Idk. I can give you the email of the Banfield recruiter I spoke to, I'm sure she would know.
Thanks so much an email would be great! I had the idea to just apply to jobs and let them know the situation but still see if they would be open to it. I’m not sure, but some clinics may be really in need of someone that they may be ok with it.

Thanks so much an email would be great! I had the idea to just apply to jobs and let them know the situation but still see if they would be open to it. I’m not sure, but some clinics may be really in need of someone that they may be ok with it.
I think it really depends on the state and what the laws are for what you are / aren't allowed to do. You're not in vet school anymore so you aren't covered as a student. But some places allow for provisional work under another vets license I think (more geared for interns or foreign vets working toward licensure).

It would be worth contacting your state's licensing body to see what is allowed for where you live. If it's not favorable in your home state, call around to other states and see what their rules are (assuming you'd be willing to move there to work).

I will dm you the contact info of the person I talked to the next time I'm on my computer instead of my phone (might be a few days).

If you're at all interested in an internship, you could also look at the virmp and see what Rotating internships are still available. (There are quite a few, I think).

You could contact programs and see if they would take you as a last minute add on.

I know a few of my friends who didn't go through match decided at the last minute to do internships and were able to find hospitals that would take them.

Not having the navle might be a kicker, but being an intern might put you back on a student type status legally. Some states definitely require interns to be licensed (Texas for one), but I'm not sure that's universally true.

This is what someone I know is doing, in case anyone else reading this is looking for an option! She talked with the recruiter and got notification a few hours later that she was selected for the location she was wanting. She’s actually very excited for it even though it won’t be glamorous, but it will be a veterinarian job that will pay better than anything else she would’ve been able to find and has set hours.

Reactions: 2 users