NAVLE score report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you think those phrases and words are disrespectful, you're not going to get far in the real world without being offended. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what pinkpuppy said, and she used those words for emphasis of her point. She was not belittling anyone, but was rather trying to put things in focus.

We recognize that people work themselves into a tizzy over things like this, such as Anoza. However, that does not mean we have to normalize such excessive worrying; instead, we should rather try to keep a handle on it and try to remind people to take it easy. That is being supportive. Not stirring the pot and making the anxiety worse by means of a back-patting circlejerk of mutual anxiety. That is was PP was trying to caution against letting this thread turn into. Because I guarantee you, life hands you a lot more "NAVLE"s in different forms.

I see this all the time when we are late in getting exam results out. People lose their gorram minds and have absolutely no patience. Unless they learn to take these things in more stride, I don't know how they are going to keep said anxiety in check when they are actually out in the field and dealing with life and death.
Thank you, what you've said above is essentially what my brief posts were trying to get across. I've seen my own classmates fuel each other's anger and anxiety in situations like this and it ends up turning into an all-out class wide panic sometimes (and inevitably, certain people come out looking like real a$$holes for stoking the fire). I'm waiting too, I definitely get the anxiety and feel it as well. I just don't feel the need to bash the service (especially when someone above even provided a concrete example of why we may have such a delay) and spread the anger/panic.

I never mean to come across as 'enlightened' so to speak, but really, my life/mental well being improved quite a bit when I learned to just let go when I have no control over a situation. A lot of that came about when I lost my dog, so hopefully no one else has to have that sort of event to get there, but I definitely feel a weight lifted since I've let go of some of that type-A.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it was intended to be helpful, not trolling. Try not to stress over what you cannot control. Obviously not something everyone can control themselves but still decent advice to take a deep breath, recognize some things will remain out of your hands, and try to focus on other things in your life in the meantime.

Yes, try not to stress what you can't control. It is a hard thing to learn but will behoove you (general you, not specific to kcough) in practice as well. It has been one of the hardest things for me to realize. I can't control some things, let it go and focus my time/energy on the things I can control.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, what you've said above is essentially what my brief posts were trying to get across. I've seen my own classmates fuel each other's anger and anxiety in situations like this and it ends up turning into an all-out class wide panic sometimes (and inevitably, certain people come out looking like real a$$holes for stoking the fire). I'm waiting too, I definitely get the anxiety and feel it as well. I just don't feel the need to bash the service (especially when someone above even provided a concrete example of why we may have such a delay) and spread the anger/panic.

Let me tell you - it's even less pretty when you're on the administration side of it. The bombardment becomes exhausting.

I definitely feel a weight lifted since I've let go of some of that type-A.

Preach. I was never a full Type A....more like a Type A- if you will....but if there is one thing I've learned in this career, is that you HAVE to let things go and control your anxiety (and especially not lash out at everything you deem to be causing it). Am I good at that? Not always, but I try.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you think those phrases and words are disrespectful, you're not going to get far in the real world without being offended. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what pinkpuppy said, and she used those words for emphasis of her point. She was not belittling anyone, but was rather trying to put things in focus.

We recognize that people work themselves into a tizzy over things like this, such as Anoza. However, that does not mean we have to normalize such excessive worrying; instead, we should rather try to keep a handle on it and try to remind people to take it easy. That is being supportive. Not stirring the pot and making the anxiety worse by means of a back-patting circlejerk of mutual anxiety. That is was PP was trying to caution against letting this thread turn into. Because I guarantee you, life hands you a lot more "NAVLE"s in different forms.

I see this all the time when we are late in getting exam results out. People lose their gorram minds and have absolutely no patience. Unless they learn to take these things in more stride, I don't know how they are going to keep said anxiety in check when they are actually out in the field and dealing with life and death.

Hm, I've think I've gone pretty far but I appreciate you sharing your opinion on my future.

Also, Anoza, you are completely entitled to your feelings and don't let anyone tell you any different. No one should be claiming anyone is working themselves into a tizzy unless they are talking about themselves and so ignore that! We should all let people have their own feelings and manage them the way they want to.

Sure, recommendations can help, but, if you do have a recommendation when someone is stressed, approach them in a respectful manner. Don't approach them with sass or on a high horse. I realize OP may not have meant it that way but I think I can point out what may have come across that way so that in the future they realize that everyone wants to be approached with as much respect as possible at any stressful time.

Treat others how you want to be treated. That's it!

Also, WhtsThFrequency, since tons of people every year do this same thing and become vets, they seem to be figuring out a way to keep their anxiety in check. :)

Anyway, everyone is here waiting for results and so venting happens. Every class has done it! BIG DEAL!

I find the back-patting supportive and I think there should be a conversation about the testing because other tests are released much more quickly. So, pushing them to have better practices to release scores more quickly would alleviate a lot of worry and would probably make their life easier, ultimately.

Also, WhtsThFrequency, since tons of people every year do this same thing and become vets,

True

they seem to be figuring out a way to keep their anxiety in check. :)

Ehhh....given the catastrophic state of mental health in veterinary medicine in general....I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. We do ourselves no favors in an already-rough profession when we continually validate unwarranted anxiety over uncontrollable matters.

Reactions: 5 users
True

Ehhh....given the catastrophic state of mental health in veterinary medicine in general....I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. We do ourselves no favors in an already-rough profession when we continually validate unwarranted anxiety over uncontrollable matters.

It is even worse when we excuse our horrific behavior of others (ie bombarding the NAVLE office, demanding they answer to you, etc) because of anxiety. Anxiety sucks but it doesn't give you a free license to treat others like ****.

And this will come as a shock but. ... the customer is NOT always right and does NOT always need to be placated. You'll appreciate this viewpoint in practice when you have clients (customers) demanding whatever they want even though it may be harmful using the excuse of "well I'm paying you, I'm the customer, you'll do what I say".... nope, that isn't how this works.

Reactions: 9 users
Also, Anoza, you are completely entitled to your feelings and don't let anyone tell you any different. No one should be claiming anyone is working themselves into a tizzy unless they are talking about themselves and so ignore that! We should all let people have their own feelings and manage them the way they want to.

So you're saying it's okay to help or validate people to stew in their anxiety? Because that's certainly what it sounds like to me. I agree that everyone's feelings are valid from their persprctive. But in the context of a situation with (in this case) thousands of people involved on both sides, there's a point where these subjective feelings take a backseat to the reality.

You are not *really* the customer here. The NAVLE is a requirement of the job as mandated by the govwenment. So the government is the "real" customer here. You may be paying for it, but what the people taking the test feel doesn't matter to the NAVLE because they'll have their jobs/business/position/whatever because they are a specific requirement for the industry as mandated by the government. You can complain all you want, but you won't change a thing because no matter what, we all have to go through this specific process. There's no competition to drive change.

Treat others how you want to be treated. That's it!

I greatly appreciate when people let me know I need to calm down, take a deep breath, and back up to see the context of the situation. It's a good technique my therapist has taught me over the last several months when everything in my life is getting overwhelming. I know PP and I know she's coming from a perspective of help, not judgement. She would say all that to my face, no problem. And I would appreciate that.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like ICVA office will be closed for the rest of the week. We may have to wait till next week:(:(

I just checked ICVA website, they just removed the update regarding their office closure.

Where in the NAVLE site can you see the option to Log in? I honestly can't find it

Where in the NAVLE site can you see the option to Log in? I honestly can't find it
If I'm at the right webpage, it's the same link you used to get to your scheduling permit.

Just FYI, from ICVA office this morning:

"We do not have the scores yet, but everything still indicates they will be out later this week. As soon as they are available, we will e-mail everyone and let them know."

Reactions: 3 users
There’s absolutely no way the ICVA people
Don’t hate us for bugging them when they don’t even have control over when they get the scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update!

They’re going to have to say 6 weeks from the last testing date just so they can surprise students at 4-5 weeks... in peace.

Someone over on the pre-vet side of the forum said scores are up on the website, FYI

It appears I'm late commenting but board results last year were up on Jan 16 which is around when they were posted for the previous three years or so, give or take a few days. So for any Class of 2020 members that might be reading this a year from now, please do your research as to when they have been released before unnecessarily harrassing any admin folk. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Reactions: 3 users
It appears I'm late commenting but board results last year were up on Jan 16 which is around when they were posted for the previous three years or so, give or take a few days. So for any Class of 2020 members that might be reading this a year from now, please do your research as to when they have been released before unnecessarily harrassing any admin folk. I'm sure they would appreciate it.
hehe. It was even Jan 22 for the 15ers and 14ers if I recall. After MLK day.

ICVA released NAVLE score for NOV-DEC 2018. I pass the NAVLE. Congrats to all, and chin up if you have to do it again

Last edited:
And for all the future classes reading this... emails went out around 5-7pm. Not the “normal” morning hour. The wait is over! Hopefully it’s congrats all around SDN!!!

Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but as someone who oversees students, I have to say I enjoyed it being later in the day. It's great to see the students so happy to hear their scores, but it is also difficult to get anything productive done during the hours immediately after results are released when people are (rightly so!) celebrating. Yesterday evening when things came out, you could definitely tell in the hospital, but things were winding down for the day so it didn't disrupt things as much. Plus one of my close friends in vet school found out she didn't pass around 9 am then still had to keep a brave face and stay at school until the end of the day, which was rough for her so finding out at the end of the day would have been beneficial.

Reactions: 9 users
Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but as someone who oversees students, I have to say I enjoyed it being later in the day. It's great to see the students so happy to hear their scores, but it is also difficult to get anything productive done during the hours immediately after results are released when people are (rightly so!) celebrating. Yesterday evening when things came out, you could definitely tell in the hospital, but things were winding down for the day so it didn't disrupt things as much. Plus one of my close friends in vet school found out she didn't pass around 9 am then still had to keep a brave face and stay at school until the end of the day, which was rough for her so finding out at the end of the day would have been beneficial.
Yeah I can see how clinicians would be irritated. The emails went out during prime rounds time for our entire hospital and no one was paying attention after that :laugh:

Yeah I can see how clinicians would be irritated. The emails went out during prime rounds time for our entire hospital and no one was paying attention after that :laugh:
Yeah, don't get me wrong...overall we're super happy for everyone and understand how big of an accomplishment it is! You should be proud! But we can't completely forget the clients/patients. Congrats everyone!

Sorry for being late to the party, gang. Congrats on passing the NAVLE, 2019ers!! You're almost home! For anyone who didn't pass, the NAVLE hardly predicts your competency as a veterinarian. I know it's rough- but you can do it! Patients are waiting for you :) Can't wait to see where all of you end of this Spring. Very happy for you!

Crackling up reading through this thread. All of these things are going through my mind right now as I await my scores. Sometime this week, I'm sure!

Crackling up reading through this thread. All of these things are going through my mind right now as I await my scores. Sometime this week, I'm sure!

LOL - yes, I have read them myself too and I am thinking the same. In a few days we will know if we passed or not :) for those of us who did not, we will have to go through it again in April and wait again...but then at least we would have had this waiting experience - LOL

LOL - yes, I have read them myself too and I am thinking the same. In a few days we will know if we passed or not :) for those of us who did not, we will have to go through it again in April and wait again...but then at least we would have had this waiting experience - LOL
Just fyi- ICVA posted this today on their website: "The ICVA Office will be closed the on Wednesday, January 15th through Monday, January 19th due to an out of state meeting. We will be closed on Monday due to the MLK holiday. The office will reopen on Tuesday, January 20th. We will be checking and answering emails as time allows."
I hope this doesn't mean we won't get them until Jan. 20. I don' know how much longer I can wait. Maybe they will still post them even if they are out of the office.

Just fyi- ICVA posted this today on their website: "The ICVA Office will be closed the on Wednesday, January 15th through Monday, January 19th due to an out of state meeting. We will be closed on Monday due to the MLK holiday. The office will reopen on Tuesday, January 20th. We will be checking and answering emails as time allows."
I hope this doesn't mean we won't get them until Jan. 20. I don' know how much longer I can wait. Maybe they will still post them even if they are out of the office.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ughghg Nnnoooooo... I've been creeping on this post for days and just WAITING. A friend of mine called and they said it will most likely be the 21st (but I'm hoping they're just saying that to get us off their back, personally. :whistle:)

Ughghg Nnnoooooo... I've been creeping on this post for days and just WAITING. A friend of mine called and they said it will most likely be the 21st (but I'm hoping they're just saying that to get us off their back, personally. :whistle:)

In our other thread someone called and they were informed if the scores are finalized by ICVA during the office closure, they will still be sent out. Not affected by the closure!

I am sure that whenever one of us gets any notification we are going to come here and tell the others :) We are all in this together :)

They said the scores will most likely be posted on the 21st? When did they say this? Would help me not check obsessively!

They said the scores will most likely be posted on the 21st? When did they say this? Would help me not check obsessively!

I have been reading and reading last year's posts....the scores last year was posted on the 16-17 January...technically (I am trying to think or at least come up with all sorts of "theories" to keep my mind busy - LOL) mid January would be tomorrow (January 16) so MAYBE if they keep their protocol that scores are going to be delivered mid January, it is kinda giving me "little hope" that I might see something tomorrow...but, on the other hand, I did not see any notice last year that their office was closed....so it might as well be the 21st when they return anyway.

I just told myself that I am not going to the VMX and I am already heartbroken because I was hoping to go....so if I pass great! Done! if I do not pass then at least I will not feel bad that I spent my CE money on a Conference when I could use it for the test again. That is what is keeping me sane - LOL

For what it's worth, I think last year's NAVLE window closed sooner, and the office closure should not affect timing. I'm hopeful you hear back in time, but if not I'm sure you can find a good use for your CE budget after you find out you passed!

I heard from a little birdy that unless they have computer issues, they will be out today! Here's hoping this is true.

For what it's worth, I think last year's NAVLE window closed sooner, and the office closure should not affect timing. I'm hopeful you hear back in time, but if not I'm sure you can find a good use for your CE budget after you find out you passed!

Thank you for the support :)

I just want to say that whatever the score is, YOU, dear VETERINARIAN STUDENT are already a veterinarian :) That is the profession that you dreamed of and worked hard to become. I know a lot of vets here in the US that say they would not go to vet school again and that makes me sad...because you once dreamed of becoming one and it is like giving up on your dream because of the pressure we suffer in this field (But I am not judging as each one of us knows our limits and when we had enough).

I am already a veterinarian in my birth country and I am doing this path again now in the USA my beloved chosen country to live and spend the rest of my life. It is like doing school all over again as the ECFVG program is not easy and taking the NAVLE is only a part of it. Being a vet is amazing. I loved every single moment of it and I miss it so if I do not pass it this time I will keep trying. Remember, this exam does not define you or your competency of being a great vet in the future. Some people do excellent in exams like these and badly in practical tests and the opposite is also true.

And please remember, once you are a DVM, think back at these moments you are going through as a student now. There will be other students under your wings in the future, learning from you. Be patient, be kind, help them learn. Not everyone of us learn at the same speed and pace but we are all capable of learning with the right teacher/mentor/method.

Let's keep waiting up - LOL!

I heard from a little birdy that unless they have computer issues, they will be out today! Here's hoping this is true.

where did this info come from? it's already kind of later in the day I was thinking it was too late...

where did this info come from? it's already kind of later in the day I was thinking it was too late...
I've now heard "not until the 21st" and "today", which has me *highly* stressed :D

I've now heard "not until the 21st" and "today", which has me *highly* stressed :D

me: doesn’t get on SDN in four years

also me: gets on SDN after four years to relate to others incessantly worrying about NAVLE

Hey guys I got an email back from ICVA confirming that IF the scores are ready, they will be released even though the office is closed. No delay due to office closing. But they “don’t know the exact date”.

Hey guys I got an email back from ICVA confirming that IF the scores are ready, they will be released even though the office is closed. No delay due to office closing. But they “don’t know the exact date”.

Good to know :) Thank you!

From someone who knows a person on the board. Don’t know if that is 100% true though. Just putting out what I’ve personally heard ‍♀️