Navy, Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuck1441

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I would like to speak with a Navy or Air Force dentist. Please PM me and I will give you my cell number. I am seriously considering the Navy HSPS but would like to speak with a practicing dentist in the Navy who has done this. Please PM me.

Thanks!

Yay, the military, what a great place to get all your school tuition paid, your school fees, wonderful travel experience, all for........hmmmmm....How about you give up your leg....no no....your arm, one arm is enough to do dental work....how about keep all of you extremities, just give up 20 years that you would have lived if you hadnt been killed in combat. Yeaaaaah.....
So lets recap, be a dentist with alllll your limbs, be a hero for those who think you are doing such a great thing, Spend some of your hard earned income paying a Shrink to help u deal with PTSD that was caused by bieng at the wrong place at the wrong time and killing civilian.
I'm sorry if I'm too sarcastic but a very close friend of mine got a little trigger happy and accidently shot a 6 year old Iraqi girl in the face. For him, as he tells me, trying to sleep every night is harder then a month of boot camp. The pain I've seen him go through is what makes me think about whether the military is an instituion that is at the very least suitible for Dentists and other professions where compassion and gentleness are very much needed. If u want to join the military thats your perogitive but try to be human once you come back again to the dental office

good lord, man, have some perspective. being in the medical corps is not quite the same as being in the infantry. even in the army, the dentists and doctors arent running clean-up squads and the like. with as much money as the navy has invested in me, they have a compelling reason to keep me alive and functioning.

might i see some horrific things if i am deployed? you bet. am i willing to risk it for the chance to be a patriot and serve my country? undoubtedly. the stipend, tutition coverage, etc. are just a really sweet part of the deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if I'm too sarcastic but a very close friend of mine got a little trigger happy and accidently shot a 6 year old Iraqi girl in the face. For him, as he tells me, trying to sleep every night is harder then a month of boot camp. The pain I've seen him go through is what makes me think about whether the military is an instituion that is at the very least suitible for Dentists and other professions where compassion and gentleness are very much needed. If u want to join the military thats your perogitive but try to be human once you come back again to the dental office

I am by no means advocating joining or not joining the military. It's up to each person to decide, but just to clarify. As a health professional, I'm pretty sure you are not even allowed to carry a weapon and are considered a non-combatant. I forget if they even train you to shoot the weapon, but my friend did the HSPS thing and I recall he said something about being a non-combatant and not being allowed to actually fight in a war.

Also, if you were a military dentist/surgeon/doctor and a person shot an iraqi girl in the face and she lived, you may very well be the person trying to help reconstruct that face and save that girls life as a health professional in military. Of course you might see horrific things in the military, but you'd be trying to ease and help those in pain more often than you would be the direct source of it.

I'm not looking to discuss pro's and con's with anonymous posters with suspect circumstantial evidence. Does anyone have the contact information of someone who is currently serving his/her contract as a dentist in the armed forces, esp. Navy. Please PM me the details.
Thanks!

You may try posting this on the military dentistry forum as well:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178

Do you have a recruiter yet? If so, your recruiter could probably hook you up with the names/numbers/email of navy dentists that you could talk to.

Utes

yes. do what utes suggests. i wouldnt imagine that you would find too many practicing military dentists trolling on a student forum site. but recruiters...they know people.

Avoid the military at all costs.

I'm not looking to discuss pro's and con's with anonymous posters with suspect circumstantial evidence. Does anyone have the contact information of someone who is currently serving his/her contract as a dentist in the armed forces, esp. Navy. Please PM me the details.
Thanks!

I do realize that given the fact we are in the front lines at the moment, now is really not the time to discuss anything. SIR YES SIR. Just Kidding, don't get all crazy and try to hunt me down now. Joining the military is your choice and you will harvest from it all the good stuff you think are there or you may regret it. You'll find out and either way, you'll come back to civilian life and tell everybody how great of a choice it was and how your glad you joined (even if you dont believe that)

good luck on your decision

Yay, the military, what a great place to get all your school tuition paid, your school fees, wonderful travel experience, all for........hmmmmm....How about you give up your leg....no no....your arm, one arm is enough to do dental work....how about keep all of you extremities, just give up 20 years that you would have lived if you hadnt been killed in combat. Yeaaaaah.....
So lets recap, be a dentist with alllll your limbs, be a hero for those who think you are doing such a great thing, Spend some of your hard earned income paying a Shrink to help u deal with PTSD that was caused by bieng at the wrong place at the wrong time and killing civilian.

Sounds like you need the therapy....

Sounds like you need the therapy....

I dont have the blood of innocent civilians on my hands, and if I did (like many that do), I wouldnt be flashing my medals or dog tags and bragging to my friends how I served my country. By the way the need for therapists in the US to help Military serviceman adapt back to normal civilian life is really high. PTSD cases are really high.

antecdotal evidence effin' RULES!

I dont have the blood of innocent civilians on my hands, and if I did (like many that do), I wouldnt be flashing my medals or dog tags and bragging to my friends how I served my country. By the way the need for therapists in the US to help Military serviceman adapt back to normal civilian life is really high. PTSD cases are really high.

That is what war is... the military isn't the peace corp, it is the military. You act surprised that innocent civilians die in war or civil unrest. Do you know how many civilians died in the civil war, WWI or WWII? Civilian casualties didn't start in Vietnam and continue with the more contemporary military actions of the US. By the way, innocent civilians die gruesome deaths all over the world.... I am not saying it is justified or that it is good, but it has been an ongoing issue for thousands of years and we as humans have to learn to still live and function inspite of the injustices. Losing our minds just makes the shrinks and the drug companies rich, it doesn't make the world a better place nor does it help the effected...

From what i've observed by reading military dental and medicine forums i noticed that military doctors have some cool assignments that they can do while in service that they'll remember once they get out... They can fly in jets, ride submarines, etc. But dentists, it seems don't do anything in the military that they wouldn't be doing in the civilian world... May be their cases are a bit different and they get to travel a bit. But i think it's more of a financial decision than anything else.

I think you should be a little nicer b/c maybe some people had to go to war (aka Vietnam) and had no choice. One of them is my father and yes he had to kill someone, but he isn't crazy and didn't have to adapt back to civilian life.

You should never be allowed to open your mouth ever again you ignorant piece of S***

I wish what I said wasnt true, but sadly it is. Grow up, sometimes the truth hurts.

what can i say.. ur just a ignorant fool. not all dental officers get sent out to iraq and is presented with the situation your "friend" was presented... n if ur story is true that ultimately was his mistake and yes, his burden to carry (was his clinic attacked or something?).

I see being a dental officer as an honorable way to serve the people who are in the front lines doing just that.. being a line of defense and making a statement that this country will not be attacked easily.

Sure, there may be dental students and current officers who are largely doing it for the immediate financial aid and it will be their loss.. but i;ve personally met and trained with many other medical professionals many of whom who left highly respectful posts to relocate their lives and their families to serve....

You are, by far, the weirdest version of a Healthcare Professional Ive ever come across. Wow. Its actually interesting how you could come to view life and the military this way. Sad and intriguing. You completely lack ANY understanding of how the military works. Really, you've maybe heard some strange anecdotes, which, are truly the exception. My personal anecdote lends the idea that you can serve on the same base in the southeast for 4 years, buy a house outside the base, moonlight in other offices if you feel like it, attend civilian CE courses or Military CE as you desire, and serve the people that are likely going down range. I won't change your views, but everyone who sees what you're posts are about should know that you have ZERO clue what you're talking about and rambled on worthlessly without reaching a single ear. God Bless you and your situation.

You are, by far, the weirdest version of a Healthcare Professional Ive ever come across. Wow. Its actually interesting how you could come to view life and the military this way. Sad and intriguing. You completely lack ANY understanding of how the military works. Really, you've maybe heard some strange anecdotes, which, are truly the exception. My personal anecdote lends the idea that you can serve on the same base in the southeast for 4 years, buy a house outside the base, moonlight in other offices if you feel like it, attend civilian CE courses or Military CE as you desire, and serve the people that are likely going down range. I won't change your views, but everyone who sees what you're posts are about should know that you have ZERO clue what you're talking about and rambled on worthlessly without reaching a single ear. God Bless you and your situation.

That post is 9 years old...