Navy Annual HIV Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holyravioli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received an email about doing the annual 2 year HIV test. It didn't specify that we needed a physician signature, it just has you list things like weight, height, and says you need to attach a copy of HIV results. Do we have to physically have this done in person at a lab or can we order a kit from a drug store like CVS and submit proof this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a reservist? Are you in a situation where it wouldn’t just be easier to go in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a reservist? Are you in a situation where it wouldn’t just be easier to go in?

Sorry, I really should have specified. I'm an HPSP student. Just really busy between starting board prep and school (I'm a 2nd year) and I don't have a car yet.

Yeah, I have to agree with the above. I think it’ll be a PITA if you don’t go to a nearby military facility. However, they may accept if from your university lab. Or they may not say anything if you ignore it, frankly. But that’s a bit of a gamble.

Reactions: 1 user
A quick way to get a HIV test is an Anylabtestnow. It costs $49 done by Quest.

Why not just call up the unit you're assigned to and see where you can get a PHA performed at? They usually have lab services on site so they might send you to the local MEPS and have it done there for you.

I've never heard of someone submitting results via a non-DoD lab. I recommend going to closest MTF or VA and having it done to save yourself the headache
Yeah, I have to agree with the above. I think it’ll be a PITA if you don’t go to a nearby military facility. However, they may accept if from your university lab. Or they may not say anything if you ignore it, frankly. But that’s a bit of a gamble.

I did the biennial requirement at my school during my third year. You send it in a copy of the results with your AVP form you submit annually. The cost is reimbursable. No hassles.

Why not just call up the unit you're assigned to and see where you can get a PHA performed at? They usually have lab services on site so they might send you to the local MEPS and have it done there for you.

I should've said it before (sorry) but I'm still in med school. Not assigned yet, but maybe I'll look into MEPS. Forgot about that.

I did the biennial requirement at my school during my third year. You send it in a copy of the results with your AVP form you submit annually. The cost is reimbursable. No hassles.

I think they're making the requirement every 2 years now. I think I had mine done before school started this past year, but I will look into seeing if my school will do that anytime soon. Good idea.

I think they're making the requirement every 2 years now. I think I had mine done before school started this past year, but I will look into seeing if my school will do that anytime soon. Good idea.

??? That's what biennial means? Unless you were referring to the annual health questionnaire you have to submit, but honestly doubt they'd change that from yearly... How else are they supposed to pretend they actually care...