Navy - Best Credentialing Locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

108stitches

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in my final year of dental school and am approaching the time to request a credentialing location. Any insight as to which bases tend to provide more experience in different departments? I’ve heard Great Lakes is a good one. I am more interested in the East coast, if possible. Norfolk? Maybe Parris Island?

Your experience/insight is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Parris Island >>> Norfolk. You’ll want a credentialing tour where there is not an AEGD. I would recommend staying away from Norfolk by any means possible. But that may also be out of your control as it’s the biggest blue side hub on the east coast.

Parris Island >>> Norfolk. You’ll want a credentialing tour where there is not an AEGD. I would recommend staying away from Norfolk by any means possible. But that may also be out of your control as it’s the biggest blue side hub on the east coast.

Not sure why you dislike Norfolk so much. I credentialed there and I felt I got a very good experience. The bulk of your the procedures here will be operative/crown/buildups but you’ll have rotation in tx planning, endo, and OS.

I am not familiar with Paris island but I heard it’s pretty surgery heavy over there. Oh in terms of location and things to do Norfolk definitely beats Paris island. Tons of restaurants/bars nearby downtown Norfolk and airport is only 20 mins away from most places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why you dislike Norfolk so much. I credentialed there and I felt I got a very good experience. The bulk of your the procedures here will be operative/crown/buildups but you’ll have rotation in tx planning, endo, and OS.

I am not familiar with Paris island but I heard it’s pretty surgery heavy over there. Oh in terms of location and things to do Norfolk definitely beats Paris island. Tons of restaurants/bars nearby downtown Norfolk and airport is only 20 mins away from most places.
1) Beaufort is small, but gorgeous. It’s a vacation destination. Good food, zero traffic, a good beach although about 30 min away, and close to Charleston and Hilton Head (45 min).
2) PI doesn’t have an AEGD. So as a credentialer you get more attention, experience, and a bigger budget than the places with an AEGD.
3) PI you also get rotations in Endo, OD, Surgery, and then obviously you spend most your time in operative. Your surgery experience in PI will beat Norfolk 10 fold. Endo is roughly the same although the Norfolk crew were better teachers, no doubt. But “the best teacher” is now retired.
4) Norfolk traffic is terrible and besides the downtown being pretty solid, it’s not a nice city. Norfolk does have good food though. I agree with that.
5) Sewell’s point is overrun with patients. The Norfolk triad’s chain of command is oddly situated. A lot of things you don’t realize as a credentialer. In PI it’s the dental clinic then Beaufort Hospital. In Norfolk it’s All the branch clinics, then they fall in like with attached medical clinics, which all fall in line with DDS at Portsmouth who works for CO at Portsmouth. It’s just a massive command which isn’t a good thing.

I’m glad you had a good experience. Norfolk does work you hard and keep you busy. That’s a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be advantageous to visit the base(s) where I would like to apply for credentialing? I've heard it helps when applying for a PGY-1 to visit the programs there, so I'm curious if the same would apply for credentialing.

Last edited:
Would it be advantageous to visit the base(s) where I would like to apply for credentialing? I've heard it helps when applying for a PGY-1 to visit the programs there, so I'm curious if the same would apply for credentialing.
Absolutely no difference by visiting them.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
I think everything FutureDent020 said is true. However, the AEGD doesn't affect our production or procedure mix at all. They are so busy doing implant boards, table clinics, lab work etc... that we see at least 3x the number of patients. You will have no shortage of Endo/ BU/ crown and simple operative. I agree that our oral surgery exposure is poor. There is a lot to like about living in Ghent, Larchmont, or VA beach, but the traffic can be horrendous when there are 4+ carriers in port. The hours are reasonable, and the new department head for credentialing runs a tight department. I have had a good experience, but I really wouldn't want to stay at Sewells point after this year. The worst part about Sewells point is the mix of Active duty, federal GS workers, and civilians. As active duty, you are held to the standards of all three, but you will find that no one wants to discipline civilians or GS employees. As a result, you will bear the brunt of double standards that you and your superior officers are powerless to stop. You could do much worse than Sewells point, but I would definitely choose PI over it if I could do this again. For anyone still reading, I am about to get my next orders. Anyone have experience in Bahrain as a 2 year accompanied tour?

Reactions: 1 users