Navy Dental Laboratory Technician aspiring to become a Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wittenjordan

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone!

It's been years in the making; however I've finally made the choice to advance my career in the dental field.

In 2010 I joined the US navy as a Hospital Corpsman Dental Assistant. After my first two weeks in dental assist school; I quickly realized that I did not wish to be the person sitting in the chair "assisting" the provider. I was provided the opportunity to attend the Dental laboratory program immediately after dental assist school. From the first day in class I knew that dental prosthetics was what I loved to do. In 2014 I was accepted to attend the Advanced dental laboratory program due to the fact that i was constantly pursuing further knowledge in the community (one of my prosthodontists had secretly recommended me for the program).

I have been fully enjoying the field of dentistry since the first case that was delivered with a prosthetic that i had fabricated. I was stationed in Rota, Spain when this first happened. We were treating an elderly retired veteran, who had been edentulous for about 3 years. I had requested to assist with the provider so that I may view what my final product looked like esthetically, and to visualize the process of delivery. When the provider seated her dentures and allowed her to look into the mirror, she broke down in tears and was extremely grateful. That case alone was what assured me that I wanted to stay in the field of dentistry.

As of today I am 6 courses away from completing my AAS in applied health sciences, still active duty Navy, and plan to begin my junior year immediately after completing my associates. I hope to work along side many of you in our field and am ecstatic to start taking my journey into actually being a provider.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning everyone!

It's been years in the making; however I've finally made the choice to advance my career in the dental field.

In 2010 I joined the US navy as a Hospital Corpsman Dental Assistant. After my first two weeks in dental assist school; I quickly realized that I did not wish to be the person sitting in the chair "assisting" the provider. I was provided the opportunity to attend the Dental laboratory program immediately after dental assist school. From the first day in class I knew that dental prosthetics was what I loved to do. In 2014 I was accepted to attend the Advanced dental laboratory program due to the fact that i was constantly pursuing further knowledge in the community (one of my prosthodontists had secretly recommended me for the program).

I have been fully enjoying the field of dentistry since the first case that was delivered with a prosthetic that i had fabricated. I was stationed in Rota, Spain when this first happened. We were treating an elderly retired veteran, who had been edentulous for about 3 years. I had requested to assist with the provider so that I may view what my final product looked like esthetically, and to visualize the process of delivery. When the provider seated her dentures and allowed her to look into the mirror, she broke down in tears and was extremely grateful. That case alone was what assured me that I wanted to stay in the field of dentistry.

As of today I am 6 courses away from completing my AAS in applied health sciences, still active duty Navy, and plan to begin my junior year immediately after completing my associates. I hope to work along side many of you in our field and am ecstatic to start taking my journey into actually being a provider.
Ask the LTs in your clinic for mentorship. I had a few Corpsmen who were planning on going to dental school and I was more than happy to help guide them. One of our dental lab techs went on to BUDS and became a SEAL, last I heard. I could not mentor him due to my aversion for physical fitness. ;)

I am also here if you have any specific questions.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ask the LTs in your clinic for mentorship. I had a few Corpsmen who were planning on going to dental school and I was more than happy to help guide them. One of our dental lab techs went on to BUDS and became a SEAL, last I heard. I could not mentor him due to my aversion for physical fitness. ;)

I am also here if you have any specific questions.

Big Hoss

Much appreciated,

I've been lucky enough to receive much guidance from several of our Lt's and of course the prosthodontists'. My biggest hurdle currently is figuring out how i'm going to accomplish my pre-reqs that require labs.

Edit: I also see some Hoosier pride! Did you grow up in Indiana or attend IU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you grow up in Indiana or attend IU?
OPSEC, shipmate. OPSEC.

35588b60d2aa9b323f09c803dd99cec1.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users