Navy GMO and payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAbrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong:
During the 4th year of medical school, the military match takes place (for me, the Navy). I choose my top residency. If I fail to get it, I enter into an internship upon graduation. During this internship year, I apply for a GMO tour location. If I do a 2 year GMO tour and then am accepted into a 3 year residency, upon completion of the residency do I owe 2 years (if I have a 4 year HPSP scholarship)?
Please fill in any missing information.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
During the 4th year of medical school, the military match takes place (for me, the Navy). I choose my top residency. If I fail to get it, I enter into an internship upon graduation. During this internship year, I apply for a GMO tour location. If I do a 2 year GMO tour and then am accepted into a 3 year residency, upon completion of the residency do I owe 2 years (if I have a 4 year HPSP scholarship)?

no, you would owe 3 years, because the residency added time which you will pay concurrently with hpsp time.

I want out is correct here. You would owe whichever is longer: the number of years in residency or the number of years left on your HPSP contract.

So for the other side of coin: if you did internship and then a one year GMO tour and came back for a two year residency you would owe the three years left on your HPSP scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong:

The match during your 4th year of medical school is only for internship. You have to re-apply for a PGY2 position during your internship. If you don't get a PGY2 position, you get sent out to the fleet as a GMO.

save this to your computer.

Attachments

• PaybackChart.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 187
Thanks.
So, next year when I am applying for an internship, I am not applying for a residency program (just location of the internship). I should apply to an internship location where the residency that I am interested in is at. Is this correct?
Also, If I wanted to, could I just do 4 years of GMO and be finished with my obligation and then do a civilian residency (that is, if I could stand the lag in GME training)?

Last edited:
Thanks.
So, next year when I am applying for an internship, I am not applying for a residency program (just location of the internship). I should apply to an internship location where the residency that I am interested in is at. Is this correct?
Also, If I wanted to, could I just do 4 years of GMO and be finished with my obligation and then do a civilian residency (that is, if I could stand the lag in GME training)?
Yes, yes, and yes. :)