Which Branch now that the Navy is doing away with intern GMO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrisprWhispr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been fortunate enough to have been offered the HPSP scholarship for all 3 branches, but I'm struggling to decide on which branch. At the moment, Navy seems most appealing due to the highest chances of getting a better location assignment (yes I know, some of the marine bases are not in the best spot), that they are motioning they will be doing away with intern trained GMO's (allowing for the opportunity to moonlight with board certification and not be screwed if I'm medically discharged if any unexpected dischargeable condition were to appear). However, I know we haven't yet seen this transition occur and the Navy has been talking about doing these for years. I'm aware that everyone says the Army has the most residency spots, but comparing the Army's annual GME update ppt with the Air Force's HPERB, and the Navy's BUMED Notice 1524, it seems like the Air Force consistently has the most residency spots. Additionally, doing a residency at a civilian location seems more appealing due to more cases/seeing a more diverse patient population.

What are your thoughts, and what other things should I consider with choosing the right branch?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose to join the Navy to have the opportunity to be a flight surgeon, and do things I'd never get to do as a civilian, or a member of any of the other branches, and I was successful. I've got my whole life to do medicine. Only a small window to fly high performance military aircraft, deploy with Marines, and other cool stuff. If you don't want to prioritize cool stuff, and are focused on the nerdy stuff, then the Army has the biggest GME options out there. The Air Force I think has the most outservice spots and/or joint mil/civ partnerships. There are some residencies where it probably doesn't matter as much, and others where it probably matters more.

Members don't see this ad :)
The nerdy parts of medicine made me laugh. We’re ****ing doctors. Even the jocks are nerds. But if you really want to play hard, the best way by far is to be able to afford your own toys.

Military medicine as we know it is on the cusp of a death spiral if there isn’t course correction. Go civilian. If you still want to join after being fully trained, do so after verifying things haven’t become utter chaos.

Reactions: 1 users
The nerdy parts of medicine made me laugh. We’re ****ing doctors. Even the jocks are nerds. But if you really want to play hard, the best way by far is to be able to afford your own toys.
Some of us are definitely more nerdy than others.
Don't worry, GMOs are not going away. Every few years they float the idea, come up with a plan, don't implement it, and then go back to taking just as many/possibly more GMOs than ever. It's the drug they just can't quit. There are a bunch of threads on this forum discussing this for 20+ years, and GMOs are still being sent out year after year.
I think GMOs will be around for a while as well. Even the Air Force and Army still have them, and they did away with them a long time ago. However I think the Navy is the closest it has ever been to having an actual plan to phase them out. I don't think they'll meet their timeline to do so, but it's more realistic now than before.

I also see "Similar Threads" below this text box as I'm typing entitled "No more Navy GMO's?" and "If they take GMO's away...." from 2008 and 2007, respectively. So yeah...

The reason why Navy GMO’s never go away is because the way the Navy imbeds and utilizes its medical officers is very different from the Air Force and the army.

The navy deploys too much and too often for its forward medical officers to hold a board certification and actually maintain skills to be good at their job. That’s why GMO’s with only 1 year of residency training will always be around.

I look at it from the flight surgeon perspective. Why would anyone in their mid-30’s who just finished residency decide to go to flight surgeon school for a year (where they don’t practice any medicine and have to uphold higher physical standards), and then go to a squadron where they manage msk and mental health all the time and deploy probably 50% of their time with their unit. All while not utilizing any of their residency training, and trying to start a family. Are there some people who would do it? Sure…but there aren’t nearly enough people who would do it to fill our large number of flight surgeon billets. Therefore, we will continue to take people who owe time and don’t have a board certification to fill that role. Flight school was made for people in their mid-20’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Military medicine as we know it is on the cusp of a death spiral if there isn’t course correction. Go civilian. If you still want to join after being fully trained, do so after verifying things haven’t become utter chaos.
@CrisprWhispr lots of unknowns as suggested here. However, military medicine will always be around in one form or another so still a great option for the perfect person. The perfect person is service first, medicine second. Adaptable, optimistic. Identity centered in things outside of just doctor prestige.

As I saw it, you had 3 red flags in your question. Preference for deferment for civilian residency, already worried about moonlighting, and suggestion that there’s a decent chance you get medically discharged.

All of these point to someone who is doctor first, service second. Not an ideal candidate in my opinion. I’ve been wrong though.

Reactions: 3 users
What are your thoughts, and what other things should I consider with choosing the right branch?
Yeah I think the whole "doing away with GMO" thing has been thrown around a bunch of times over the years. I don't see any way that they can though as the current system relies so much on undertrained doctors to fill billets. My advice is don't do it, just go civilian. You can always join later if you still want to or do guard/reserve if there's a desire to serve later on. So much is changing in mil med with DHA taking over and there's no way to know what's going to change in the world/political/war landscape that could have a significant impact on your career. Go civilian, get trained in whatever specialty you want. If later on you still want to serve, the military will absolutely take you.