Navy HPSP/GMO Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazooka

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been searching these threads and talking to people about HPSP/GMO for several weeks. I feel like I have gathered a lot of valuable information, but I still feel somewhat unclear in a few areas. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has current information on these topics and is willing to share!

Background: I'm starting school at DMU-COM this Fall. I'm currently interested in Anesthesia or Ortho, but I am fully aware that this will most likely change. I was recently awarded the Navy HPSP. Ever since I began considering medicine as my career choice, I've concurrently been thinking about serving in the military. I have a strong desire to serve, but I'm becoming more uncertain about this IF it is possible that it could somehow affect my career/personal goals.

Questions:
1. I know that in the Navy there is a very real chance of serving as a GMO before going through to residency. You can do FS, UMO, and like regular clinical work (not sure what the real term for this last option is). I'm most interested in FS, and "regular." So as a GMO, are you deployable? And if so, how long are these deployments typically? Also, where are you located for GMO when you're not deployed? (only on base? other clinics?)

2. How does the payback work? For instance, if I do a 3 year GMO, and then do a 3 year military residency, will the years I spent as a GMO not count as payback? Will I "owe" more service after that residency? The only way a GMO will clear my service obligation is if I complete a full 4 years, correct?

3. Is there any way to know how many slots are available for each residency BEFORE we apply to the match? Because I understand the number for each residency changes every year, and that could be a factor when applying.

I'm very sorry if I these are "dumb" questions, I have absolutely no prior military experience or many close people to ask. I know many of these topics have been touched on in previous threads but I'm not sure if I understood everything completely. I wanted to clarify everything now before I sign the dotted line.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I've been searching these threads and talking to people about HPSP/GMO for several weeks. I feel like I have gathered a lot of valuable information, but I still feel somewhat unclear in a few areas. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has current information on these topics and is willing to share!

Background: I'm starting school at DMU-COM this Fall. I'm currently interested in Anesthesia or Ortho, but I am fully aware that this will most likely change. I was recently awarded the Navy HPSP. Ever since I began considering medicine as my career choice, I've concurrently been thinking about serving in the military. I have a strong desire to serve, but I'm becoming more uncertain about this IF it is possible that it could somehow affect my career/personal goals.

Questions:
1. I know that in the Navy there is a very real chance of serving as a GMO before going through to residency. You can do FS, UMO, and like regular clinical work (not sure what the real term for this last option is). I'm most interested in FS, and "regular." So as a GMO, are you deployable? And if so, how long are these deployments typically? Also, where are you located for GMO when you're not deployed? (only on base? other clinics?)

2. How does the payback work? For instance, if I do a 3 year GMO, and then do a 3 year military residency, will the years I spent as a GMO not count as payback? Will I "owe" more service after that residency? The only way a GMO will clear my service obligation is if I complete a full 4 years, correct?

3. Is there any way to know how many slots are available for each residency BEFORE we apply to the match? Because I understand the number for each residency changes every year, and that could be a factor when applying.

I'm very sorry if I these are "dumb" questions, I have absolutely no prior military experience or many close people to ask. I know many of these topics have been touched on in previous threads but I'm not sure if I understood everything completely. I wanted to clarify everything now before I sign the dotted line.
1) You are deployable. Deployments are usually 9 months these days if you are going to a warzone with the Marines though that can change at any time. For a ship it is much more complicated and I don't think anyone can give you a 'normal' amount of time to be at sea. Being deployable doesn't necessarily mean you will deploy. When you are not deployed you are wherever your unit is based out of (for example if you are with 5th regiment Marines you would be in Camp Pendleton) and you will see clinic composed of just your active duty Marines

2) The time you owe at the end of residency is equal either to the amount of time you owed going into to residency or the length of the residency, whichever is more.
Examples
A) 4 year HPSP obligation -> 2 year GMO tour -> 2 year obligation -> 2 year residency to complete Fam Med -> 2 year obligation after residency
B) 4 year HPSP obligation -> 2 year GMO tour -> 2 year obligation -> 4 year residency to complete Gen Surg -> 4 year obligation after residency

3) No, or at least not in a way that will help you make a decision. The number of residency spots available can change after the match, and you have no idea how many people are applying or what their stats are, so basically you don't know your odds.

Also just to be clear GMO tours happen after Intern year, and before the rest of residency.

These are not dumb questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, joining could affect your career goals but not in a way any of us can predict.

You want a highly competitive specialty as a post-merger DO. That is the bigger challenge you face.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Continue to educate yourself on the process. Read as much as you can. There is lots of truth on this forum, and you have to be able to live with the variety of potential pitfalls.

Reactions: 1 user