Navy HPSP/HSCP or Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillBob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions from people who are in/completed these programs.

I am currently a Naval Officer and will have ~7yrs in service when I start medical school fall 2014 (assuming I get in). Due to the fact I am already Navy, I would prefer to stay Navy; however, I think both army and navy have different perks/flaws in their respected medical corps. I believe the HSCP looks like the best deal for me. If there are any priors out there who chose HSCP or HPSP over the other one, I would like to hear your opinion why.

First question: In my uneducated eyes the army looks like the easiest branch to land a residency in an area that you actually want to practice medicine based on the sure number of residencies. I comprehend that there are more army physicians, which is the main reason why they have more residencies. Is this assumption incorrect? Likewise, if any person feels they can give a honest opinion on which branch they thinks cultivates a physician’s medical skills vice administrative, I would be interested in hearing their opinion.

Second question: Will a contingent resignation from the navy allow me to accept an army HPSP scholarship? I am deciding if I should do an unqualified or contingent resignation? (Hopefully someone on SDN dealt with this before and knows the answer)

Third question: Can HSCP personnel do military clerkships during their summer breaks? I know this is standard practice for people doing HPSP.

Fourth question: If I do HSCP, will I have to do ODS? I only ask, since technically they make you enlisted for your schooling period (E7), and then you get re-commissioned (I know ODS is a joke compared to OCS, so it doesn’t really bother me either way). If I choose the army HPSP will I end up going to BOLC or a blue to green officer program?

I am ultimately going to apply to all three, since I know I could very while not get accepted by any of these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a Naval Officer and will have ~7yrs in service when I start medical school fall 2014 (assuming I get in). Due to the fact I am already Navy, I would prefer to stay Navy; however, I think both army and navy have different perks/flaws in their respected medical corps. I believe the HSCP looks like the best deal for me. If there are any priors out there who chose HSCP or HPSP over the other one, I would like to hear your opinion why.

I chose HSCP over HPSP before I got an acceptance at USUHS. For priors with the GI Bill and if you get into your instate med school it is WAY better than HPSP. Having said that, 7 (prior time) + 4 (HSCP time) + 4 (residency +/-) + 4 (payback) = 19 so if your goal is to get out as soon as possible then you only need one more year, be that from residency or extension. But going to USUHS would only add about two more years from when you could get out and would be even better than HSCP for a prior officer for pay while in school as well as additional multiplier for retirement. To me, that was worth the extra couple of years. Check out this blog post on HSCP:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/health-services-collegiate-program-military-medicine-series/

First question: In my uneducated eyes the army looks like the easiest branch to land a residency in an area that you actually want to practice medicine based on the sure number of residencies. I comprehend that there are more army physicians, which is the main reason why they have more residencies. Is this assumption incorrect? Likewise, if any person feels they can give a honest opinion on which branch they thinks cultivates a physician’s medical skills vice administrative, I would be interested in hearing their opinion.

I'm only a MS1 at USUHS, but it does seem like you will have a better shot at getting your choice and training straight through with the Army. I think in the Navy you can get what you want, but may have to do a GMO to do it. Faculty and staff here keep saying "by the time you graduate the Navy will have done away with the GMO billets and be using board certified physicians," but just like the "impending pilot shortage" I will believe it when I actually see it.

Second question: Will a contingent resignation from the navy allow me to accept an army HPSP scholarship? I am deciding if I should do an unqualified or contingent resignation? (Hopefully someone on SDN dealt with this before and knows the answer)

I can't answer this one.

Third question: Can HSCP personnel do military clerkships during their summer breaks? I know this is standard practice for people doing HPSP.

Yes, but you won't get funded for it like HPSP. You'll have to set it up one your own and cover your own travel and food.

Fourth question: If I do HSCP, will I have to do ODS? I only ask, since technically they make you enlisted for your schooling period (E7), and then you get re-commissioned (I know ODS is a joke compared to OCS, so it doesn’t really bother me either way). If I choose the army HPSP will I end up going to BOLC or a blue to green officer program?

I am ultimately going to apply to all three, since I know I could very while not get accepted by any of these programs.

No, you won't have to do ODS, but someone may screw up the paperwork and think you do. So don't let them make you. Don't know what the Army would make you do. But with 7 years as an O, I would apply to USUHS also if I were you.

Thanks Cooperd0g for the response. The link is very useful.

I am applying to USUHS, and would choose it if I get in since it's an awesome deal. I also know my chances of being accepted are slim to none (MCAT 27, AMCAS GPA 3.15). That is why I am hedging my bet on getting a HSCP or HPSP program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Cooperd0g for the response. The link is very useful.

I am applying to USUHS, and would choose it if I get in since it's an awesome deal. I also know my chances of being accepted are slim to none (MCAT 27, AMCAS GPA 3.15). That is why I am hedging my bet on getting a HSCP or HPSP program.

Those numbers are pretty marginal. I'd say you should hedge your bets by applying to all three HPSP programs if serving is really that important to you and be ready for the possibility that you won't be accepted.

I am a prior Navy service member who is currently in his second year of med school via HSCP. If you get into USUHS then take that, but if you don't I would take the HSCP program in a heart beat over HPSP for your situation (unless you are dead set on doing an Army residency). HSCP counts towards retirement, it counts toward "time in service" (so you get paid more once you re-commission as a doctor), you get paid way more during school and can use the GI Bill for tuition, and you get your first summer off and get paid for it to hang out at the beach for 3 months (no ODS or active duty shadowing, etc.). But if you do do HSCP look for the schools with the lowest tuition so that the GI Bill covers the majority of it.

I am a prior Navy service member who is currently in his second year of med school via HSCP. If you get into USUHS then take that, but if you don't I would take the HSCP program in a heart beat over HPSP for your situation (unless you are dead set on doing an Army residency). HSCP counts towards retirement, it counts toward "time in service" (so you get paid more once you re-commission as a doctor), you get paid way more during school and can use the GI Bill for tuition, and you get your first summer off and get paid for it to hang out at the beach for 3 months (no ODS or active duty shadowing, etc.). But if you do do HSCP look for the schools with the lowest tuition so that the GI Bill covers the majority of it.

:thumbup:

Do HSCP, internship, residency, payback (+/- GMO) and you'll be darn close to 20. Absolutely makes up for not getting the $20k bonus.

If you have a family - tricare is also a bonus to HSCP. Save a lot of money compared to buying civilian health insurance for your family on your own.

You're just limited to in-state schools, schools with great yellow-ribbon programs or taking a little debt.

Re: ODS -- I was NROTC, Marine Capt, and even ran an ROTC indoc in the same barracks as ODS. When I ask about ODS, I keep getting the same answer -- "You'll need to go." If they try to make me go, it'll be ugly... but I'm guessing that, with the sequestration, they'll be more than happy to not send me and save the $$.

:thumbup:

Do HSCP, internship, residency, payback (+/- GMO) and you'll be darn close to 20. Absolutely makes up for not getting the $20k bonus.

If you have a family - tricare is also a bonus to HSCP. Save a lot of money compared to buying civilian health insurance for your family on your own.

You're just limited to in-state schools, schools with great yellow-ribbon programs or taking a little debt.

Re: ODS -- I was NROTC, Marine Capt, and even ran an ROTC indoc in the same barracks as ODS. When I ask about ODS, I keep getting the same answer -- "You'll need to go." If they try to make me go, it'll be ugly... but I'm guessing that, with the sequestration, they'll be more than happy to not send me and save the $$.
You may be asking the wrong people. Generally, prior officers are not required to go to ODS for obvious reasons. I did some time in Newport and never saw any prior Os going through ODS. I saw plenty of prior enlisted. I think your ROTC stuff should fill their requirement.

You may be asking the wrong people. Generally, prior officers are not required to go to ODS for obvious reasons. I did some time in Newport and never saw any prior Os going through ODS. I saw plenty of prior enlisted. I think your ROTC stuff should fill their requirement.

Of course you're right - ROTC should fit the bill. And I'm sure, when push comes to shove, I won't have to go. But you know how the bureaucracy works... God help you if you're a square peg in a round hole...

Of course you're right - ROTC should fit the bill. And I'm sure, when push comes to shove, I won't have to go. But you know how the bureaucracy works... God help you if you're a square peg in a round hole...

Of course, does not apply for other service officers. I was a USAF O-4, USAFA grad, and I still had to go through ODS when I switched to Navy in medical school.

Question 1: definitely do HSCP plus GI bill in your case. Just find a low cost school. Given the numbers you posted, I would also look into DO schools. Advantage: lower entrance requirements Disadvantage: they are usually much more expensive. Do you have a graduate degree? If your graduate GPA is higher than undergrad, the Navy will use that for HPSP/HSCP.

Question 2: don't have any good answers here. I know the USAF process: I had to get approval letters signed by my squadron, group, and wing commanders. The personnel dept. processed these and I was out free and clear, DD214 and all. I was on the IRR roles, but didn't have to drill or anything.

Question 3: don't have specific knowledge, but I think it is likely this would be possible. You would just have to coordinate with the person in each department that handles rotators.

Question 4: if you stay Navy, no. If you go Army, yes. I was prior USAF O-4, academy grad and had to do Navy ODS when I switched. If I had stayed USAF, I would have been covered.

Thanks for all the advice and answering my questions.

I am applying to mainly DO schools and a few MD schools.

I thought HSCP would be the smartest choice for a person like myself, and you guys have confirmed that sentiment. That time in service is hard to beat even if I have to take a couple small loans out to pay for tuition. I am applying early, which is what my recruiter recommended (both army and navy). The navy recruiter also informed me that the HSCP program just required people to meet the minimums, and then it was first come first serve. He also said that were only 15 to 20 of these given a year. I am not sure if he meant that for just medical school students (Don't quote me on these statements as fact its just what he told me). I am still going to apply for the HPSP program both army and navy as well, because like some of you stated, I may not get into any of the programs. Especially due to the fact that HPSP is becoming more competitive.

Numberwunn I will feel bad if you have to do ODS. Marine ROTC and Naval ROTC are ran by the same detachments. But, like you were saying nothing would surprise me when dealing with the military. That is why I asked the question myself. Hopefully you get this ODS thing all figured out before it is to late, and they send you just because no one tried to figure out the right answer. I am sure it will be a walk in the park compared to TBS if you have to go; I imagine you will have a similar mentality of the whole gimmick as the navy seals had in my went OCS class.