Navy HPSP Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double4life

Made In America.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D2 at Howard University and I'm in the process of applying for the Navy HPSP. As far as I know it's just myself and another D3 in the entire school that's applying. This process is soooo slow. I submitted my application in February and have not even taken my physical in the Naval Medical Center in Bethesda yet. After the physical I'm suppose to appear before two Navy Dentists for an interview then have my application package reviewed by a Committee.

What will the committee be looking for? I've been told by friends that as long as I remain in good academic standing I'm a shoe-in for the scholarship. Their reasoning is that we're at war and not a lot of pre-docs (D-students) are lining up at their front door clamoring to join the Dental Corps. Is this considered false confidence on my part?

Members don't see this ad.

If the process is that slow, it is not entirely your fault. Sounds like it could be the recruiter, which is not surprising. Just search this forum, and you will see stories of recruiter issues from each branch.

In reality, the process should not take longer than 6 months, which if you started in Feb, means you should be closer to the finish line than you inidicate.

This may seem like a negative, but it isn't because the military is a beauracracy, and the sooner you get used to that the better.

As far as requirements, you are good shape because you are already in dental school and in good standing, which is important. This is much less riskier for the Navy than giving a scholarship to a student who has not entered dental school yet.

As far as recruitment numbers, the Army is hurting the most, while the Navy is in the middle and the Air Force is getting all it needs.

I wouldn't worry about what you can't control as far as the speed of the service you are dealing with (Navy). It may seem like a pain now, but any sort of debt relief you can get is great, and most folks know D.C. is not cheap.

You will reap the rewards of reducing debt by not taking on as much debt as your peers in the first place. Most students walk around with the false sense of security that they will pay off their debts in 5 to 10 yrs, but this is far more unlikely than your belief in acquiring the scholarship.