Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

findingnemo13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in learning a little bit more about the Navy HPSP program and would like to speak with someone who has recent served or is currently serving their payback time. PM me if you are willing to chat! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There is a site section dedicated to this question.

On that note; whether its worth it is all up to you. Personally; it is a great deal for 4 years

I looked on their site and have a few questions. While in dental school, you get $2122 a month? Are you required to serve 45 days a year while in dental school? If so, what would the "serving" be? Also how much would you make a year while actually practicing dentistry for 4 years. After you leave the program after 4 years of service, does the Navy pay you each month still for the rest of your life? When you are serving for 4 years, is it like around the world or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked on their site and have a few questions. While in dental school, you get $2122 a month? Are you required to serve 45 days a year while in dental school? If so, what would the "serving" be? Also how much would you make a year while actually practicing dentistry for 4 years. After you leave the program after 4 years of service, does the Navy pay you each month still for the rest of your life? When you are serving for 4 years, is it like around the world or what?
hs2013

I'll try to answer your questions

1) $2122/month; this is the stipend? wow, when i was HPSP it was 900!!! Good for you!! I don't know the current rate but you get a monthly stipend if its 2122 that is fantastic!
2) 45 days; don't worry about this; basically you are 45 days on active duty; you don't have to do anything if your school is year round. Most schools require attendance during summer so most students can't spend 45 days somewhere away from school and they understand this; they will on paper say you are on active duty but that is it; u just continue with your studies;
**however, if you do have some downtime and want to see some cool stuff; then u can use that 45 day or less period and connect with people to either arrange for a ship tour; maybe even go on a ship and go out with them for a week or 2........its all up to you how u want to do it.

3) Pay after u graduate
ok; when u graduate and enter the navy you will be an O3 w/ less than 2 years experience; so initially your pay will suck! however, you get yearly pay increases; you will feel underpaid until you hit the 4 year mark.

Here is the breakdown

Basic pay - salary
BAS - $230 something - this is nontaxable allowance for food etc....
BAH - housing allowance - this is nontaxable and varies depending on your zip code. If you are stationed in san diego it is high vs if you are in 29 palms it is low -- it is based on cost of living
VSP - this is taxed
ASP - this is taxed

VSP/ASP - are phased out and they are lumped together under dental special pay.

Google - military pay; there is a pay chart for military; you can get exact numbers from there

If you get out after 4 years; you DO NOT get paid for the rest of your life! haha, you have to do 20 years of active duty service to get a pension.

When you leave after 4 years; you will ride out the remainder of your 4 years therefore total 8 years in the IRR or inactive reserve; or you can go active reserve if you want to still serve part-time and make a little money...if you go IRR; you are a civilian and you don't do anything military related

During your 4 year active duty time; you can be stationed either on a ship, overseas, marines, seabees; etc . everyone will do some sort of operational tour when u start out.

You tell your assignment officer; detailer; what you want to do when u get in the navy. Sometimes you have to be flexible. You may want san diego but they may tell u to take a ship, or send you overseas....

Basically the first 4 years you have to pay your dues; after that if u are still in the navy they will reward you by giving you more options.

hope this helps.

My advice; don't worry about any of this stuff; concentrate on dental school study hard graduate top of your class. while in the Navy you will likely decide you may want to specialize; or just get out and open a GP practice etc.......keep your options open.

If you have an open mind; like a little adventure and are socialable you will have a great time in the Navy!

Let me know if i can help you any other way

hs2013

I'll try to answer your questions

Let me know if i can help you any other way

Hi I read your reply,

I have a question

So if I apply and get accepted to HPSP and go to DS which is 4 years and costs 300k I would have to then serve 4 years to the navy ?

And let's say I get accepted to a 3yr DS (UOP) AND costs 300k would I have to serve 3 or 4 years after graduation ?

And I am from NY do you know anybody I can contact if I have Any questions?

Hi I read your reply,

I have a question

So if I apply and get accepted to HPSP and go to DS which is 4 years and costs 300k I would have to then serve 4 years to the navy ?

And let's say I get accepted to a 3yr DS (UOP) AND costs 300k would I have to serve 3 or 4 years after graduation ?

Military Dentistry Sub-Forum

Hi I read your reply,

I have a question

HPSP is year for year

If you go UOP it is 3 years since you received 3 years of support

I have friends in navy who went to UOP they all were 3 years

Sorry don't know anyone from NY

HPSP is year for year

If you go UOP it is 3 years since you received 3 years of support

I have friends in navy who went to UOP they all were 3 years

Sorry don't know anyone from NY

Thank you, very nice if you to write back.

Thank you, very nice if you to write back.
Your welcome

Whatever route you take HPSP is fine. If you don't do it it is fine.

But remember: See the big picture!!!

3-4 years is a small fraction of the time you will spend in your entire career...............think hard; have a vision and go for it

Enjoy the journey!

Are looking for a Navy dentist, dental student on HPSP or a recruiter?

I'm looking for someone with experience of the HPSP via NAVY. I have questions about pay , duties, family, time, benefits , etc.

uhhhhmmm

have you been reading? We are all HPSP people unless i am missing anything 4 year HPSP to be specific.

uhhhhmmm

have you been reading? We are all HPSP people unless i am missing anything 4 year HPSP to be specific.

Is there a way I can shadow a dentist in the navy based in NY if there are any?

Active duty no; since there is no base there; the closest active duty base would be Groton, CT