Navy HSCP - Prior Service with 9/11 GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoitforv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

It seems that Navy HSCP is not a popular program (understandably) for most on here. I think I'm one of the few unique cases where it makes a ton of sense but wanted to bounce my logic against y'all for devils advocacy and contrarian perspectives. (@Big Time Hoosier I've seen you active recently albeit on the Dentistry side of the conversation)

I have 12 years active duty service in the Marines, left as an E-6 and was recently accepted into HSCP 4-year MC. I start med school this fall, and have 32/26 total months remaining of my Post 9/11 GI Bill (my back of the napkin math has me at about 3 1/2 years of tuition and fees covered by GI Bill). I'm under the impression I'll get E-6 pay at over 12 years + entitlements (~$94k/year in my area before tax on basic pay), once I complete med school I'll be commissioned as an O-3E with over 16 years (~$140k/year before tax). I cant figure out if I'll be eligible to retire at 20 after my kickback tour or if I'll need to wait/serve 3-4 more years afterward to complete 8 years of commissioned time (4 active + 4 IRR). I'm hoping to retire as an O-4/O-5 somewhere between 20-25 years of active service (determined by where I do my residency) which would put me at or around $58-70k/year in pensioned income.

I'm not overly concerned with a specific specialty, I'm more concerned with loving what I do and would love to work with the underserved veteran population once I've retired from active duty. I'd also be eligible for the military match/residency which would mean I'd get paid O-3E pay over 16 during residency vs $55-60k/year I've heard civilian residents get. I have a wife (who works) and kids so not having an income or living off of loans exclusively would be pricey.

Thoughts, comments, concerns????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The logistics are simply what they are; either it makes sense for you financially (which it sounds like it does) or doesn't. My two cents would be to ask how your body is holding up after 12 yrs of AD. I've always felt like one of the reasons you get full retirement at 20 is because 20 years of AD is ~ 40 yrs in any other job, lol. How do your wife and kids feel about you being whisked away for an 18-month hardship tour? These are some of the questions I suggest to everyone considering initial service, re-uping, or any other method of committing to military life.

Great questions to ensure someone is really ready for what active duty brings! My body is working lol but you're not wrong I'm starting to feel pretty old! My family is very used to the idea of moving every 4 years and me being deployed (I stopped counting number of deployments and just started counting overseas time, I'm at just under 7 years overseas). I say that to say we're going into this with our eyes wide open on what to expect... they're going to get their monies worth out of me for the those four years!

Members don't see this ad :)
My general opinion is that the HSCP is not a good deal, unless you’re prior service and still have the GI Bill. You check those two boxes. Now, you just need to weigh the personal pros and cons.

Big Hoss

Semper Fi! Please PM for further details. I did 5 years in the USMC, did HPSP, and just passed my boards.