Navy OMFS residency timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LogOff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I applied for Navy OMFS next cycle (in 2018) as an active duty LT would I start summer of 2019 or 2020? I know typically there is a gap year where you do general dentistry but since I'm active already could I forgo that?

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply in the winter/spring of 2018 you will be boarded in June of 2018 and, if selected you would begin in July of 2019.

You do not get to forgo a year.

If you apply in the winter/spring of 2018 you will be boarded in June of 2018 and, if selected you would begin in July of 2019.

You do not get to forgo a year.
@vellnueve What I mean is would I still have to do a year of general dentistry from 2019-2020 or would I start the residency July 2019. It seems you're saying start OMFS in 2019 so that's good. Weighing future options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to just add to my own thread rather than start a new one... when does HPSP payback start, ODS start date or graduation and ascension to LT? Wondering in regards to retention bonus signing before residency and if the timelines would work.

ODS start date if done after graduation. If done in a prior year, first day on active duty following graduation.

The timing does work if you start before July 1. I am in residency and also on retention bonus because I finished my payback just prior to starting residency.

Bummer, I didn't start ODS until July 30, so is there no way to do the retention bonus during residency? I'm guessing they don't want to let someone start a month late even if it means 100k... :\

Bummer, I didn't start ODS until July 30, so is there no way to do the retention bonus during residency? I'm guessing they don't want to let someone start a month late even if it means 100k... :\

No, you won't be able to do retention bonus in residency unless you wait until the year following the end of your commitment to start residency. This is why in the past I've encouraged new officers to arrive at ODS or their first duty station and begin their payback immediately.

No, you won't be able to do retention bonus in residency unless you wait until the year following the end of your commitment to start residency. This is why in the past I've encouraged new officers to arrive at ODS or their first duty station and begin their payback immediately.
Well it is what it is I suppose..didn't have much choice UOP doesn't have time to do ODS until after graduation which isn't until mid June anyway. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Do you not qualify for retention bonus after residency? Is it just that you want the money now? Thanks

Do you not qualify for retention bonus after residency? Is it just that you want the money now? Thanks

Retention bonus is only available once you have completed any existing educational commitment. If you complete your four years before the end of June you can start a program that year and receive retention pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, sorry to revive an old thread. I also have some questions about timing.

Lets say I graduate dental school when I am 27 and manage to match into a Navy OMFS residency directly out of dental school. From what I have gathered, I will have needed to apply for that residency as a D3, then I would be able to carry out 4 years of residency --> 4 years of concurrent HPSP / Residency payback. Bringing me to ~35 years old?

Also, I read that civilian residencies (FTOS) require consecutive payback, while Navy residencies are concurrent. Is this correct?

Some final questions... does the Navy offer both 4 and 6 year OMFS residencies? How would going to a P/F school, which takes basic sciences with the med school, affect one's chances of being selected right out of school?

Again, apologies for hijacking - just wanted to see if I could get a bit more clarity!

Hey everyone, sorry to revive an old thread. I also have some questions about timing.

Lets say I graduate dental school when I am 27 and manage to match into a Navy OMFS residency directly out of dental school. From what I have gathered, I will have needed to apply for that residency as a D3, then I would be able to carry out 4 years of residency --> 4 years of concurrent HPSP / Residency payback. Bringing me to ~35 years old? sure

Also, I read that civilian residencies (FTOS) require consecutive payback, while Navy residencies are concurrent. Is this correct? yes

Some final questions... does the Navy offer both 4 and 6 year OMFS residencies? How would going to a P/F school, which takes basic sciences with the med school, affect one's chances of being selected right out of school? 4 only at this time. P/F won't help you much

Again, apologies for hijacking - just wanted to see if I could get a bit more clarity!

Reactions: 1 user
Good question, not sure bc I'm currently in a civilian OMS residency but in the FAP program so I'm going active duty after residency. The only thing that I'm not sure of really is when I would start ODS as I would like to try to start ODS in August not July

Apparently was told I have to speak to the detailer about 6months before finishing to find out my dream sheet