NAVY or ARMY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty general question but are any of you in dental school under the navy or army scholarships......if so what do you think of them.....my hunch is leaning towards the navy (and by the way I will know if I got the navy scholarship sometime around the middle of the month)....any positives and negatives would be great.....I have done my research but I am always willing to hear more!

dentalguy

Members don't see this ad.

<~~~ Army

The main reason why I choose Army is because I found them to be more organized then the Navy people (you might have had a different situation). Everything is going OK... My scholarship came in late so I took out loans for the semester and they still haven't reinbursed my tuition back to me.. The stipend took a while to kick in, they made couple of mistakes with random stuff and so I kinda got screwed for a while..

Why I feel I made a good decision:
- I can see myself leading a military lifestyle, my personality fits that way of life
- my school's pricetag is wwwaaaayyyy beyond my means :)
- guaranteed job when i graduate in that, unless I freakin' kill someone, most likely won't worry about people suing me..

Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions..

Neither, unless I get into UOP or USC.

Members don't see this ad :)
gatorfan

I am curious to know what your views are on the Navy other than the organization.....every one is telling me thats a better way go to but the Army is definetely more organized and seems to care more about me.....any thoughts??

dentalguy

I'm not in either program but looked around a little. Two things to think about: 1. Army will never serve at sea for months at a time. 2. Navy has much cooler stations for assignment.

From what I hear Navy or Air Force would be better... this coming from a recruiter... reasons due to the type of responsibilities and training .... I hear Army is pretty brutal... I could be wrong... just what I heard... but before you make a decision ...do more research...

For all those wondering about the Army or navy scholarship programs I would definetly call the nearest recruiter. When I called the recruiter was very open to all my questions and did not try to make it sound more glamorous than it actually is. I learned a couple of things. First, when you sign on they pay for everything plus you get a stipend. Sounds good right? Well you owe the Army or Navy 8 years of service. 4 of those have to be practicing dentistry where you will be paid around 60,000. Then you have four years where you can be on inactive duty, but they can call you at any time and rip you out of your private practice, or you can continue to be a dentist in the armed forces. That part to me is a huge commitment and I believe that a dentist in the private field can come out ahead, financially speaking, if he or she builds a quality private practice. The loans will get repayed. So call your recruiter and see if its a match for you or not.

i would say chair force, being in the navy i would not recommend it unless you want to go to sea for 6 months at a time... if that doesnt bother you then go for it.

mobius said:
i would say chair force, being in the navy i would not recommend it unless you want to go to sea for 6 months at a time... if that doesnt bother you then go for it.

What has it been like for you.....you sound pretty negative on this.....i was thinking the navy would be a good way.....more so than the army....what has it been like with your 45 days of required service during dental school.....are you practicing in the navy right now....anything else i should know....i don't want a sugar coated answer

dentalguy

Air force only has a 3 year version of the scholarship, navy/army have the 4 year.

I served in the Air force, and I've been to army and navy bases. My first choice would be to take the 1 years worth of loans and go USAF.

If you need to have all 4 years paid, I'd personally go Navy because their bases are nicer (the ones I've seen) and you're LESS likely to be playing in the middle east 'sandbox'.

But other than that, either is a good choice.

CB

coreyb said:
Air force only has a 3 year version of the scholarship, navy/army have the 4 year.

I served in the Air force, and I've been to army and navy bases. My first choice would be to take the 1 years worth of loans and go USAF.

If you need to have all 4 years paid, I'd personally go Navy because their bases are nicer (the ones I've seen) and you're LESS likely to be playing in the middle east 'sandbox'.

But other than that, either is a good choice.

CB

AF is in the near furture offering 4year scholarhships for dental school. Don't ask me to cite a source, I read it somewhere in the Mil Med forum and am to lazy to find it.

NAvy is ok, but make sure you are willing to serve on a carrier for 6 months.

Just in the end, make sure you are not just doing it for money - you won;t like it, make sure you are interested in serving your country for at least 4 years and understand that there are times when you WILL be Officer first, Dentist second.

Good luck