Navy Vet. How far will ECs and experience carry me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SARmedic8401

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I’m brand new to this forum and am hoping to find some good advice or insight. I did 8 years in the Navy as a Search and Rescue Corpsman. While in, I also volunteered as an EMT, then as a Paramedic out in town with local fire/ems. I got out about a year and a half ago and have done some humanitarian work with a Veterans group that included rescues/medical aid during Hurricane Harvey in Texas this last summer.

How far will these ECs/experiences carry me for getting into med schools, DO or MD? My GPA is about a 3.35. Bs in Physics, Cs in Gen Chem, As in three Bios (and i expect a couple more As in recommended Bio classes), B/B- in Ochem series. C in calculus. Still haven’t taken an official MCAT but got a 501 on a full Kaplan practice test a few months ago without any prior studying. I’m going to burn through my GI Bill to finish my bachelors and am wondering if med school is a pipe dream with these stats. I’ll appreciate any and all insight!
 
Great experiences. Your sGPA needs some sprucing by the grades you listed. You might need to take a few more higher level science courses to bring your sGPA up and show an upward trend. Study hard and get a ridiculously high MCAT and you should be good to go for both, though probably a better shot at DO.
 
I have Genetics and Cancer Biology coming up soon with a really awesome Bio teacher I’ve had before. I feel confident I should be able to get As in both of these classes. I’m hoping that will help offset my Cs. Thanks for the response.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, thank you for your service.

Being a Vet is one of the best EC you could do in the eyes of the ACDOM, and you will be afforded a lot of leeway in admissions that most people will not in regards to stats. I have talked to an Army vet that was admitted into a DO school with a 21 on the old MCAT, roughly equivalent to a 492-494, which is almost unheard of. With that said, do not shoot for that, aim as high as you can on the MCAT.

With a 3.3 GPA and your ECs, if you were looking at DO only, I would think anything above a 498 (even lower depending on the school) would put you in the running at some schools, and a 500+ would seal the deal at most DO schools (assuming you are not lacking in the interview).

If you manage to hike up your GPA to a 3.4+ and your MCAT to a 505+, I could see some MD schools interested in you, especially your state schools and lower tier MD schools.
 
First, thank you for your service.

Being a Vet is one of the best EC you could do in the eyes of the ACDOM, and you will be afforded a lot of leeway in admissions that most people will not in regards to stats. I have talked to an Army vet that was admitted into a DO school with a 21 on the old MCAT, roughly equivalent to a 492-494, which is almost unheard of. With that said, do not shoot for that, aim as high as you can on the MCAT.

With a 3.3 GPA and your ECs, if you were looking at DO only, I would think anything above a 498 (even lower depending on the school) would put you in the running at some schools, and a 500+ would seal the deal at most DO schools (assuming you are not lacking in the interview).

If you manage to hike up your GPA to a 3.4+ and your MCAT to a 505+, I could see some MD schools interested in you, especially your state schools and lower tier MD schools.

+1
I know more than one vet who scored MD and DO accepts with ~500 MCATs and ~3.4s.
 
I'm a former Navy Corpsman, as well, and was in your shoes a few years ago. Didn't get to help with Harvey but we may also be involved in the same humanitarian org.
My number one advice is to apply broadly, both DO and MD, and including some reach schools. With your experiences, it's variable how a school is going to weigh your extensive ECs against your stats. And it's probably variable on who reads your application and who you interview. So cast a wide net. I had a similar GPA and to my surprise got into a top 20 MD school. Lots of schools seem to like veterans.
It goes without saying to try and ace the rest of your classes and do as well on your MCAT as you can. Also start working on your "why medicine" story. Most schools will ask that in secondaries or interviews. You'll need to sell your experiences and so need to hone your story so you can effectively convey it (often in under 500 word). Have as many people read it, give you feedback, and refine it.
Med school in definitely not a pipe dream. Just finish your pre-reqs strong and apply wisely. Good luck!


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone. I’m brand new to this forum and am hoping to find some good advice or insight. I did 8 years in the Navy as a Search and Rescue Corpsman. While in, I also volunteered as an EMT, then as a Paramedic out in town with local fire/ems. I got out about a year and a half ago and have done some humanitarian work with a Veterans group that included rescues/medical aid during Hurricane Harvey in Texas this last summer.

How far will these ECs/experiences carry me for getting into med schools, DO or MD? My GPA is about a 3.35. Bs in Physics, Cs in Gen Chem, As in three Bios (and i expect a couple more As in recommended Bio classes), B/B- in Ochem series. C in calculus. Still haven’t taken an official MCAT but got a 501 on a full Kaplan practice test a few months ago without any prior studying. I’m going to burn through my GI Bill to finish my bachelors and am wondering if med school is a pipe dream with these stats. I’ll appreciate any and all insight!
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Your service and EMT will count a lot. Your MD chances will be best with your state school, and fine for any DO school. A number of the southern MD schools also have a soft spot for veterans.
 
I was active AF for 8 years (not a medical job, but I was an EMT before I joined). I had a 2.7 from before I joined, a few Cs, a D, an F and a W. After I got out, I brought my GPA up to 3.61cGPA/3.69sGPA, got a 506 MCAT with some research too, and I got 3 interviews and 2 acceptances, so if I’m any indication, it’s very possible for you.

If you still have a while to go on your undergrad, apply to a research experience for undergraduates program. I did mine through Harvard and they looove Veterans. Definitely a great opportunity and I highly recommend it.

Quillen is very VERY pro-Veteran. They offered me an interview, but I had already been accepted by my state school so I declined. They seem to have a really great program though, so I’d recommend considering them.
 
Hey @SARmedic8401 please feel free to private message me. Just applied this cycle and was wildly successful, got into a T20 and a T10 with a marginal MCAT. @Just Call Me Doc and @Goro are awesome resources too. Love to help other vets, so feel free to bounce anything off me.
 
Thanks! I’ve been stressing lately because anytime I try googling how my grades will effect my med school application, the general consensus is I’m pretty much screwed, based off past forums/threads. I knew my military background would help but I never knew how much until after reading these responses. I really appreciate the insight.
 
Thanks! I’ve been stressing lately because anytime I try googling how my grades will effect my med school application, the general consensus is I’m pretty much screwed, based off past forums/threads. I knew my military background would help but I never knew how much until after reading these responses. I really appreciate the insight.

Those results are typically for traditional applicants or civilian non-trads. Military experience is huge. I’m sure there are schools that don’t care as much, but there are many that really see the value.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, Army vet here, 506/3.29. My EC's were not as good, only thing close would be leadership (PL/XO etc). Apply to your state MD school, and...

MAKE SURE YOU APPLY TO ETSU (QUILLEN). They love vets, their school is on a VA campus. Vets get in-state preference not only for tuition, but more importantly for admissions considerations. And seeing as they have a small population applying it will definitely help your odds. Also, probably the friendliest and most supportive school I interviewed at.
 
Hey, Army vet here, 506/3.29. My EC's were not as good, only thing close would be leadership (PL/XO etc). Apply to your state MD school, and...

MAKE SURE YOU APPLY TO ETSU (QUILLEN). They love vets, their school is on a VA campus. Vets get in-state preference not only for tuition, but more importantly for admissions considerations. And seeing as they have a small population applying it will definitely help your odds. Also, probably the friendliest and most supportive school I interviewed at.
Is that where you're gonna end up?
 
Hey @SARmedic8401 ... got into a T20 and a T10 with a marginal MCAT...

What range is marginal? 503-507?

This post gives me a lot of hope, especially as a Texas vet with questionable stats. Also, I am applying to ETSU as well as all Texas schools (and an expensive list of other schools...)
 
Ehh... anonymity is important. LizzyM would not be too happy. Say... 63? High Science GPA comparatively with almost all A's in prereqs. I can PM if it would help.
 
Out of those I only applied to ETSU for stats reasons. Does it make sense to throw in another $100 for those other four? Even with in-state biases and not really being in the good zone for stats?
 
Out of those I only applied to ETSU for stats reasons. Does it make sense to throw in another $100 for those other four? Even with in-state biases and not really being in the good zone for stats?
Over the course of your career practicing, a few hundred bucks for a few reach schools is not much to worry about. And the cost of not getting in this cycle applying to narrow, is a lot of money and lost time earning a much higher wage.
 
Out of those I only applied to ETSU for stats reasons. Does it make sense to throw in another $100 for those other four? Even with in-state biases and not really being in the good zone for stats?
Applying as a veteran puts an asterisk next to all the stats on MSAR. I had interviews (and subsequent acceptances) at schools where I was waaaaay below the 10th%ile. Your school list should be as simple as this: state schools + anywhere you'd like to attend if given the chance.
 
Applying as a veteran puts an asterisk next to all the stats on MSAR. I had interviews (and subsequent acceptances) at schools where I was waaaaay below the 10th%ile. Your school list should be as simple as this: state schools + anywhere you'd like to attend if given the chance.

This. No way would I have been competitive at Mayo if I hadn't had the backround I had.
 
Applying as a veteran puts an asterisk next to all the stats on MSAR. I had interviews (and subsequent acceptances) at schools where I was waaaaay below the 10th%ile. Your school list should be as simple as this: state schools + anywhere you'd like to attend if given the chance.

Do you happen to know if thats the case with residency too? lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't make it past their automated cut-off, lol. I did get a second rejection a few months later though, telling me I had been re-reviewed and was still not up to the standard. So a human definitely looked at my app at some point.

Haha yeah I was waiting for the axe the whole time.
 
Do you happen to know if thats the case with residency too? lol
for tuition purposes, if you're using federal money they almost always have to charge you IS tuition. However, you can only designate one state of residence on AMCAS, and schools are under no obligation to deviate from that.

All that being said, if a state school doesn't have many IS veterans to pick from, they'll take an OOS veteran in the same way they import high mcat score-ers. Especially if you have connections to the state.
 
fellow Army vet here as well. not a medic I was a combat engineer. I was unsuccessful this cycle for multiple reasons; however, being a vet definitely helped my somewhat mediocre application. my GPA was better my school list was super top heavy and I ended up with 6 interviews (i'm planning on working in a clinic and moving out of CA as well as brushing up on my interview skills I suggest you do a few mock interviews as well). Anyways, my point is that its absolutely possible to get your foot in the door with your EC's and you shouldn't feel discouraged. you got this man and I'll be here if you need encouragement or a place to vent. what is it you navy dudes say hooyah? good luck man!


also look into vocational rehabilitation before you use the rest of your GI bill.
 
for tuition purposes, if you're using federal money they almost always have to charge you IS tuition. However, you can only designate one state of residence on AMCAS, and schools are under no obligation to deviate from that.

All that being said, if a state school doesn't have many IS veterans to pick from, they'll take an OOS veteran in the same way they import high mcat score-ers. Especially if you have connections to the state.

I'm a 3rd year at my state school with in-state status already lol..... I meant residency apps like after medical school, do they also start off applicants who are veterans as I'll be applying for residency next year haha
 
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Your service and EMT will count a lot. Your MD chances will be best with your state school, and fine for any DO school. A number of the southern MD schools also have a soft spot for veterans.


I currently am doing my UG at UCSD. I’m taking all of winter quarter off to study full time for the MCAT in the spring so that I can apply Summer ‘19. I really would like to get into UCSD to medical school, for various reasons, but mostly because my kids are here in San Diego. Realistically, what MCAT score would I need to be looking at getting to have a chance at UCSD? My other options would be UCD, UCI, Western, and most other mid tier schools in CA.
 
@BombsAway

I’m starting to get nervous now. I recalculated my sGPA and I’m sitting at barely a 3.0. I took another FL practice through Kaplan and got a 504. Granted, this is without any preparation other than taking my prerequisites, but no studying for the MCAT. I’m taking winter quarter off to study full time before I take the MCAT in April. I have a strong upward trend in my last 60 units, but overall, I don’t think the upward trend is that significant. All the veteran success stories I’m seeing on SDN are typically lower MCATs but decent GPAs.

Hypothetically, say I get around 510+ on my actual MCAT do you think I should still apply MD or stick with DO? I’m a California resident and go to a UC currently. Grandma is Native American, grandpa is from Tahiti. Not sure if I count as URM tho since my biological father is white.

Dream schools would be UCSD or UCD. But would like to go to either of the Westerns if I can’t get the two above.
 
@BombsAway

I’m starting to get nervous now. I recalculated my sGPA and I’m sitting at barely a 3.0. I took another FL practice through Kaplan and got a 504. Granted, this is without any preparation other than taking my prerequisites, but no studying for the MCAT. I’m taking winter quarter off to study full time before I take the MCAT in April. I have a strong upward trend in my last 60 units, but overall, I don’t think the upward trend is that significant. All the veteran success stories I’m seeing on SDN are typically lower MCATs but decent GPAs.

Hypothetically, say I get around 510+ on my actual MCAT do you think I should still apply MD or stick with DO? I’m a California resident and go to a UC currently. Grandma is Native American, grandpa is from Tahiti. Not sure if I count as URM tho since my biological father is white.

Dream schools would be UCSD or UCD. But would like to go to either of the Westerns if I can’t get the two above.
You can shoot for some lower MD as well. Include ETSU Quillen in your list. DO definitely. with a 510, you will end up somewhere!
 
The biggest issues that emerge for 1st year students is discipline in regards to self-study. The biggest issue that emerges for 3rd year students is professionalism/punctuality during rounds. Military students rarely struggle in either area.

Academically, you are good for DO. MD? A stretch unless you clear at least 510, probably 516


Thanks for the insight. I’m pretty happy with my baseline MCAT considering I haven’t taken Biochem or studied for the test. I’m really hoping that, after taking Biochem and committing 2-3 months to full time study, I’ll be able to get a 510+
 
Sorry but I wouldn't consider you URM. Maybe I'm wrong. I just think when you have to reach back to grandparents and it's only on one side... plus the big thing is too, how much did that affect your upbringing? Have you been raised/treated by others as though you were?

I'm Jewish, but we're hardly underrepresented, and while anti-Semitism is real, all around I don't feel like it was something I should claim.

At some point it feels like grasping at straws for admission. The thing about trying to get URM in there is not about what you're saying here.

I don't want to sidetrack this into a debate about the value of URM in admissions, just wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like something to claim to help you.
 
Sorry but I wouldn't consider you URM. Maybe I'm wrong. I just think when you have to reach back to grandparents and it's only on one side... plus the big thing is too, how much did that affect your upbringing? Have you been raised/treated by others as though you were?

I'm Jewish, but we're hardly underrepresented, and while anti-Semitism is real, all around I don't feel like it was something I should claim.

At some point it feels like grasping at straws for admission. The thing about trying to get URM in there is not about what you're saying here.

I don't want to sidetrack this into a debate about the value of URM in admissions, just wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like something to claim to help you.


Ya that was kind of what I was thinking. I was just throwing it out there in the ether. In the end, I think it would probably hurt me more than help. I personally see the value of URM in admissions. But I think you’re right in that any intelligent Adcom would see right through it in my case
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as the MCAT, if y ok ubare over 500 without prep you be fine....i was at 488 with just prerequisites....broke out the kaplan books for 7 months on top of classes and full time work and hit 506.
@BombsAway

I’m starting to get nervous now. I recalculated my sGPA and I’m sitting at barely a 3.0. I took another FL practice through Kaplan and got a 504. Granted, this is without any preparation other than taking my prerequisites, but no studying for the MCAT. I’m taking winter quarter off to study full time before I take the MCAT in April. I have a strong upward trend in my last 60 units, but overall, I don’t think the upward trend is that significant. All the veteran success stories I’m seeing on SDN are typically lower MCATs but decent GPAs.

Hypothetically, say I get around 510+ on my actual MCAT do you think I should still apply MD or stick with DO? I’m a California resident and go to a UC currently. Grandma is Native American, grandpa is from Tahiti. Not sure if I count as URM tho since my biological father is white.

Dream schools would be UCSD or UCD. But would like to go to either of the Westerns if I can’t get the two above.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
As far as the MCAT, if y ok ubare over 500 without prep you be fine....i was at 488 with just prerequisites....broke out the kaplan books for 7 months on top of classes and full time work and hit 506.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even with a 3.0 sGPA you think I’ll be fine?
 
+1
I know more than one vet who scored MD and DO accepts with ~500 MCATs and ~3.4s.

So I recently got a 504 on another FL practice MCAT without prior preparation. I recalculated my sGPA tho and realized it’s close to 3.0. Do you think I’m SOL out of MD school, even if I get a 510+? I’m a California resident btw