Navy Vet. How far will ECs and experience carry me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I recently got a 504 on another FL practice MCAT without prior preparation. I recalculated my sGPA tho and realized it’s close to 3.0. Do you think I’m SOL out of MD school, even if I get a 510+? I’m a California resident btw

Nah. If it’s above a 3.0 and you do well on the MCAT, you still have a shot if you apply smartly. Vet status gives you a little leeway in places. Staying in CA might be hard though for MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah. If it’s above a 3.0 and you do well on the MCAT, you still have a shot if you apply smartly. Vet status gives you a little leeway in places. Staying in CA might be hard though for MD.

Cool thanks man. I’m already starting to lose sleep over this and I’m still a year away from applying

Members don't see this ad :)
What range is marginal? 503-507?

This post gives me a lot of hope, especially as a Texas vet with questionable stats. Also, I am applying to ETSU as well as all Texas schools (and an expensive list of other schools...)

Are you getting any luck this cycle?

Are you getting any luck this cycle?
Three interviews so far. We will see. No MD interviews yet, which isn't ideal since I'm very undecided on a specialty and loved working with surgeons and with FP physicians. I worry about limiting my ability to go surgery if I go DO, but eh, beggars can't be choosers.

Three interviews so far. We will see. No MD interviews yet, which isn't ideal since I'm very undecided on a specialty and loved working with surgeons and with FP physicians. I worry about limiting my ability to go surgery if I go DO, but eh, beggars can't be choosers.

That gives me hope at least. I’ve only taken FL practice MCATs but have a feeling I’ll be around mid 60s Lizzy M when I apply next cycle. I’d imagine you’d still have a shot at surgery as long as you crush the USMLE right? Fortunately I really want to do EM so DO school should be fine for me in pursuing that route, but it’s still nice to be able to have better options with an MD school behind you.

Congrats on the interviews. Hopefully you score some acceptances and get some MD invites soon.

Do you mind me asking what DO schools you’ve heard back from? If I don’t get MD, my preferences are for both Westerns and Touro-CA

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interviewing at one of the Westerns, MSUCOM, and another well known school that isn't Touro. Trying to keep some anonymity! ;) Touro is brutal stats wise, I didn't apply, but that is just my personal choice. Only applied to one Western, got an interview. We will see how they go, first one is this weekend.

I'm interviewing at one of the Westerns, MSUCOM, and another well known school that isn't Touro. Trying to keep some anonymity! ;) Touro is brutal stats wise, I didn't apply, but that is just my personal choice. Only applied to one Western, got an interview. We will see how they go, first one is this weekend.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

It went great. I think I will get an acceptance. Loved the school. Hoping for that first MD interview, though! I think with the matches I saw, surgery is possible at this school so not a deal-breaker being a DO school.

That’s awesome. Congrats. Ya hopefully that MD interview comes in. If not, then at least you’ll get to save money on not buying plane tickets lol.

That’s awesome. Congrats. Ya hopefully that MD interview comes in. If not, then at least you’ll get to save money on not buying plane tickets lol.
Just got an II at Qullien/ETSU. That place loves vets. Gotta apply there.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice! Keep those II coming. I know they’re not pouring in, but do you feel a little more relieved that you at least have a few now?

I'm up to five total IIs now, which is a good feeling. I've heard that past three, you're good, so...

Thanks! I’ve been stressing lately because anytime I try googling how my grades will effect my med school application, the general consensus is I’m pretty much screwed, based off past forums/threads. I knew my military background would help but I never knew how much until after reading these responses. I really appreciate the insight.

Don't stress too much about STATS you find on forums. Most applicants don't have years of military experience, and schools really value that these days. You'll be graded on a whole different curve. That said, you should strive for as close as possible to 3.5GPA and 510 MCAT and apply broadly.
I'm a Marine veteran, had a mediocre GPA and MCAT, but got accepted to multiple MD schools. Loving life as a 3rd year in Texas!

As long as you have good enough scores to get your foot in the door, you'll shine on the interview trail.
PM me with any questions.

Thanks man. Congrats on almost being done with med school! I wouldn’t mind ending up in Texas. I have a lot of friends out there. Not sure if it’s even worth applying being out of state though. I was down in Orange/Vidor area helping out during Hurricane Harvey so maybe that’ll help if I apply to TX schools

Thanks man. Congrats on almost being done with med school! I wouldn’t mind ending up in Texas. I have a lot of friends out there. Not sure if it’s even worth applying being out of state though. I was down in Orange/Vidor area helping out during Hurricane Harvey so maybe that’ll help if I apply to TX schools
Good luck! Texas schools are extremely Vet friendly, so It's probably worth it to fill out the TMDSAS. Baylor is on the AMCAS sys anyways, so it's an easy app for you. Most of the out-of-state peeps at my school have something going for them--like being a veteran--so it's certainly possible. Also tuition is cheap.

I'm up to five total IIs now, which is a good feeling. I've heard that past three, you're good, so...

I’m pretty stoked. I just now learned that AACOMAS calculates your sGPA differently than AMCAS. I’ve been stressing hard because my AMCAS sGPA is close to a 2.9-3.0. But my AACOMAS sGPA is a 3.2. This is such a huge relief. Especially since both Westerns are near the top of my preferred school list (MD/DO), and I’m already hitting mid 500s on FL practice without any prep.