NBDE 1 ASDA papers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toyotasupra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been studying for NBDE 1 for the last 6 weeks. I am taking it in 4 days. On the asda papers I've been scoring 78% on anatomical sciences, 68% biochem, 60% micro, 85% dental anatomy. The materials I have used so far is First Aid QA, Dental Mastery App (scored much higher here 80-90%), YouTube NBDE I videos, wiki, and the 1987, 2008 ASDA papers.

For those of you who have passed, should I try to bring up my micro score or just focus hardcore on the dental anatomy since I only have 4 more days?

One of my buddies said he ignored all other topics and just studied dental anatomy and ended up passing, his theory was even with guessing you'll get 50% in the other areas, but with 80-90% in dental anatomy you will pass.... sounds legit?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to update this. I passed! I did fail this exam once, but it was because I focused on biochem and micro, my weakest subjects. WORST IDEA EVER!!!!! I've been reading a lot of NBDE 1 study guides that suggest focusing on your weaknesses... No No NO NooooooooOoOoO! Focus on your strengths which should be dental anatomy and head neck; plus these two subjects are more focused and you are likely to score higher. Vs biochem or micro which they can ask about tiny random molecules to random functions of cells you've never heard of/learned about.

Basically don't waste more than 4-5 weeks to study for this exam. I studied like 8-10 hours a day for 5 weeks, but started forgetting a lot of the stuff I learned the first week. Soooo... 4 weeks max is what I'd say for NBDE part 1. If you are getting around 70-80% (on first try with no cheating) on the ASDA exams you will pass.

Also I wasted like 4-5 days studying more micro because I scored 60% on the ASDA exam; top tip, don't waste your time --- absolutely none of the materials I studied for was on the exam for micro. Would have been better spent on head neck anatomy or dental stuff.

Overall my strategy was to focus on my strengths -- head neck anatomy and dental morphology/occlusion -- this was the bulk of my 4 weeks studying. If you score near 100% on those two, you can literary get 30-40% on micro and biochem and still pass. Or even 100% dental, 50% on micro, biochem, anatomy. To pass you only need 58-60% overall.

Hope this helps any struggling souls like myself.

Hi all,

I've been studying for NBDE 1 for the last 6 weeks. I am taking it in 4 days. On the asda papers I've been scoring 78% on anatomical sciences, 68% biochem, 60% micro, 85% dental anatomy. The materials I have used so far is First Aid QA, Dental Mastery App (scored much higher here 80-90%), YouTube NBDE I videos, wiki, and the 1987, 2008 ASDA papers.

For those of you who have passed, should I try to bring up my micro score or just focus hardcore on the dental anatomy since I only have 4 more days?

One of my buddies said he ignored all other topics and just studied dental anatomy and ended up passing, his theory was even with guessing you'll get 50% in the other areas, but with 80-90% in dental anatomy you will pass.... sounds legit?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I just wanted to update this. I passed! I did fail this exam once, but it was because I focused on biochem and micro, my weakest subjects. WORST IDEA EVER!!!!! I've been reading a lot of NBDE 1 study guides that suggest focusing on your weaknesses... No No NO NooooooooOoOoO! Focus on your strengths which should be dental anatomy and head neck; plus these two subjects are more focused and you are likely to score higher. Vs biochem or micro which they can ask about tiny random molecules to random functions of cells you've never heard of/learned about.

Basically don't waste more than 4-5 weeks to study for this exam. I studied like 8-10 hours a day for 5 weeks, but started forgetting a lot of the stuff I learned the first week. Soooo... 4 weeks max is what I'd say for NBDE part 1. If you are getting around 70-80% (on first try with no cheating) on the ASDA exams you will pass.

Also I wasted like 4-5 days studying more micro because I scored 60% on the ASDA exam; top tip, don't waste your time --- absolutely none of the materials I studied for was on the exam for micro. Would have been better spent on head neck anatomy or dental stuff.

Overall my strategy was to focus on my strengths -- head neck anatomy and dental morphology/occlusion -- this was the bulk of my 4 weeks studying. If you score near 100% on those two, you can literary get 30-40% on micro and biochem and still pass. Or even 100% dental, 50% on micro, biochem, anatomy. To pass you only need 58-60% overall.

Hope this helps any struggling souls like myself.

Thank you so much for advice! Im about to start and planning to have exam in March/April. Felt like I was on a neverending road but your post gave me some hope. Really appreciate!
What about physiology and pathology parts? Even though head/neck and dental anatomy is the most important, you would still read the other parts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users