NBDE part 1 attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ortho_mds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored 68, 74, 71 in my three attempts. Will it affect my application if I pass NBDE in multiple attempts? Is it reported to the universities that I passed on several attempts?
Please share any tips and advise on preparing for NBDE part 1 and how to go about my applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have no idea on how could multiple attempts affect your application. But yes, when you fill CAAPID application and ask for official scores to be sent from ADA, it shows the number of attempts of each exam. I studied for part I with this schedule for dental decks and it helped me a lot. I also used Wheeler's for Dental Anatomy, Netter atlas for head and neck, and Guyton for physiology. I studied 4 days a week 5hours a day for 2 months and then 8 - 10 hours a day the last week. Hope it helps. I wish you all the best.

Attachments

• deckssch.jpeg
    deckssch.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Hi, I have no idea on how could multiple attempts affect your application. But yes, when you fill CAAPID application and ask for official scores to be sent from ADA, it shows the number of attempts of each exam. I studied for part I with this schedule for dental decks and it helped me a lot. I also used Wheeler's for Dental Anatomy, Netter atlas for head and neck, and Guyton for physiology. I studied 4 days a week 5hours a day for 2 months and then 8 - 10 hours a day the last week. Hope it helps. I wish you all the best.View attachment 262074
Thank you for letting me know the preparation material. I tried to open the attachment which you sent but it's not opening and shows "page not found". It will be real help if you sent me another link

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 68, 74, 71 in my three attempts. Will it affect my application if I pass NBDE in multiple attempts? Is it reported to the universities that I passed on several attempts?
Please share any tips and advise on preparing for NBDE part 1 and how to go about my applications?
I think it will affect your chances unless you have something in your CV that is very impressive like published research in the US, teaching experience, master in something.
To pass the NBDE I, I used dental decks, Kaplan Qbandk Kaplan NBDE and released questions which you can buy used from Amazon.
Best luck

hello, try it now. I uploaded it again, it shows the picture I attached.

I think it will affect your chances unless you have something in your CV that is very impressive like published research in the US, teaching experience, master in something.
To pass the NBDE I, I used dental decks, Kaplan Qbandk Kaplan NBDE and released questions which you can buy used from Amazon.
Best luck
I have conducted 5 research work, out of which 3 published , 1 book publication, Masters degree in Orthodontics, 3 year work experience as an orthodontist and 4 years work experience as a General practitioner, 7 years of teaching experience, community service in orphanage, Smile train (for cleft patients), Dental camps and starting mobile dental clinics, 200 hours of shadowing and volunteer dental assisting. Will this work or is there anything else I need to do??

Reactions: 1 users
I have conducted 5 research work, out of which 3 published , 1 book publication, Masters degree in Orthodontics, 3 year work experience as an orthodontist and 4 years work experience as a General practitioner, 7 years of teaching experience, community service in orphanage, Smile train (for cleft patients), Dental camps and starting mobile dental clinics, 200 hours of shadowing and volunteer dental assisting. Will this work or is there anything else I need to do??
GPA Bachelor of Dentistry (BDS) - 3.8
Masters (Orthodontics) - 3.7

Masters degree in Orthodontics in US? I thought they require at least Passing Part 1 to apply to MDS in Ortho.
Anyway, you have a strong profile and maybe you have been quite away from dental school.

Masters degree in Orthodontics in US? I thought they require at least Passing Part 1 to apply to MDS in Ortho.
Anyway, you have a strong profile and maybe you have been quite away from dental school.
No, Master's degree in Orthodontics from foreign country not from US. Want to enroll in dental school in US to get practicing license

Four attempts will show, that you never prepared or took your exams seriously, you are lacking in fundamental knowledge and have poor study habits.
Frankly, I would have thought really hard before even applying to any school, because IDP programs are very intense and expensive. Will you be able to graduate?

Four attempts will show, that you never prepared or took your exams seriously, you are lacking in fundamental knowledge and have poor study habits.
Frankly, I would have thought really hard before even applying to any school, because IDP programs are very intense and expensive. Will you be able to graduate?
I graduated from my bachelor's of Dentistry in 2008 and then went on to work as a general practitioner for 4 years. In 2012 I took admission for Master's degree in Orthodontics and graduated in 2015 and practiced as an orthodontist for 3 years....
It's been almost 12 years since I have studied these subjects which are taught in 1st and 2nd year. So it took time for me to bring back the fundamental knowledge of micro, patho, biochemistry and physio and study it from scratch.
Now about my study habits, I passed as an Honors student in my Bachelor's of Dentistry and held the 1st rank in my Masters in Orthodontics.

Yes I will indeed graduate not from IDP but from a graduate program.

I posted this to ask for advice and help, not criticism.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very impressive CV but I don't know how many of these things are in the U.S. What I will suggest is to get a master degree from the U.S or go to hygiene school and then apply. Advanced standing programs are very competitive and I never heard of someone with multiple attempts get accepted I am not trying to be negative but I am trying to advise you. Also, think about AEGD programs because they look more at the clinical experience or dental public health which is not that competitive and they do not ask for NBDE.
And for the exam, I highly recommend Kaplan and if you can get their preparatory course that will be even better.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello.
First Aid was my major source during the studying process, and I found it very helpful. I think it has all that you need to pass that exam successfully: all topics that you need to know are covered very well in a very compact way, it has many pictures, charts, funny and easy to remember mnemonics, facts. Also I liked that it has a lot of free space, so you can write down your own notes and the paper of this book is marker resistant, even to strongest markers.
While reading it I have found few mistakes, but I still think that the book is great.
If you don’t understand something, or it looks like you want to know more so that to understand some material better - you can refer to the topics in the subject-based textbooks or internet.
Alongside with First Aid, I was also using Dental Decks, Dental Boards Mastery App on iPhone, Released ASDA Exams, Netters Atlas, and also I had separate subject books for each of the sections of the exam. I was referring to these textbooks whenever I felt that I wanted to know more details or to get better understanding :)
I would definitely recommend this book as a benchmark in your NBDE preparation.

Hey, your resume is damn impressive. Just try to pass this exam with full determination. Dont worry about the attempts. Just pass and apply as soon as possible. I think you might be late for this season. But give both the boards n apply next year. I am sure you will make it through!

Hello.
First Aid was my major source during the studying process, and I found it very helpful. I think it has all that you need to pass that exam successfully: all topics that you need to know are covered very well in a very compact way, it has many pictures, charts, funny and easy to remember mnemonics, facts. Also I liked that it has a lot of free space, so you can write down your own notes and the paper of this book is marker resistant, even to strongest markers.
While reading it I have found few mistakes, but I still think that the book is great.
If you don’t understand something, or it looks like you want to know more so that to understand some material better - you can refer to the topics in the subject-based textbooks or internet.
Alongside with First Aid, I was also using Dental Decks, Dental Boards Mastery App on iPhone, Released ASDA Exams, Netters Atlas, and also I had separate subject books for each of the sections of the exam. I was referring to these textbooks whenever I felt that I wanted to know more details or to get better understanding :)
I would definitely recommend this book as a benchmark in your NBDE preparation.
Thank you sonitta....I'm studying first aid and dental board busters......this time I'm also using the DBM app.....hope I get through....

Hey, your resume is damn impressive. Just try to pass this exam with full determination. Dont worry about the attempts. Just pass and apply as soon as possible. I think you might be late for this season. But give both the boards n apply next year. I am sure you will make it through!
Thanks a ton .....I'm considering applying for AEGD programs too and have submitted my application for Craniofacial research fellowship programs too..waiting to hear back from them.....let's see how it works out....

I graduated from my bachelor's of Dentistry in 2008 and then went on to work as a general practitioner for 4 years. In 2012 I took admission for Master's degree in Orthodontics and graduated in 2015 and practiced as an orthodontist for 3 years....
It's been almost 12 years since I have studied these subjects which are taught in 1st and 2nd year. So it took time for me to bring back the fundamental knowledge of micro, patho, biochemistry and physio and study it from scratch.
Now about my study habits, I passed as an Honors student in my Bachelor's of Dentistry and held the 1st rank in my Masters in Orthodontics.

Yes I will indeed graduate not from IDP but from a graduate program.

I posted this to ask for advice and help, not criticism.
Pat on the back will not help you. My criticism will. Trust me
Your efforts years ago will be taken into consideration, but admissions care more about your ability to succeed now. Every year hundreds of students get dismissed from dental schools because they can't manage the load and schools loose money. They really care about their income and don't like to loose. Keep that in mind
Every time you fail, you get a report. Pay extra attention to those sections and don't rush. Admit, that you need to work harder then before or someone else - this is fine. Get back to basics and don't just use review materials - they are for people who just graduated and still have fresh knowledge

Pat on the back will not help you. My criticism will. Trust me
Your efforts years ago will be taken into consideration, but admissions care more about your ability to succeed now. Every year hundreds of students get dismissed from dental schools because they can't manage the load and schools loose money. They really care about their income and don't like to loose. Keep that in mind
Every time you fail, you get a report. Pay extra attention to those sections and don't rush. Admit, that you need to work harder then before or someone else - this is fine. Get back to basics and don't just use review materials - they are for people who just graduated and still have fresh knowledge
I don't want a pat on the back......I'm telling you what have I done till now and asking for advice regarding what could be done by me..... asking someone "do you think you could pass" is not the kind of help one wants

Start taking exams well prepared, that is for the start and don't expect only certain answers when you post on a public forum - for the rest

Yes I went through all the free videos last time when I appeared for my exam. But I already bought the paid version this year to get all the info needed to prepare.
Thank you for the offer

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about just focus on the basic. I'm like you and in my experience I found it very helpful to watch kaplan usmle videos (green background)+youtube to prepare for nbde 1. it was like someone giving me a lecture which made studying much easier since I understood the concepts. another thing is you should memorize the difficult questions from ADA past exams papers. there will be a lot of repeats.

Don't worry about just focus on the basic. I'm like you and in my experience I found it very helpful to watch kaplan usmle videos (green background)+youtube to prepare for nbde 1. it was like someone giving me a lecture which made studying much easier since I understood the concepts. another thing is you should memorize the difficult questions from ADA past exams papers. there will be a lot of repeats.
Which app did you use for practice questions??

Which app did you use for practice questions??
I didn't use any app and I advice you to stick to one source (first aid or dental decks) and study it extremely well+use wikipedia and youtube for things you don't understand (don't waste your time with too many sources) and for questions use released ADA questions since these will be repeated the most. it's better to study things that you know will show up rather than some practice questions that you may never see.

this is the link for the ADA questions if you need them

Thanks a ton .....I'm considering applying for AEGD programs too and have submitted my application for Craniofacial research fellowship programs too..waiting to hear back from them.....let's see how it works out....

Hey can you please give me your email address , I have some questions and I’m also taking NBDE

Hey can you please give me your email address , I have some questions and I’m also taking NBDE
Hi, have you already taken NBDE 1?? If yes, then please share your experience. I am appearing for the same next week

Thank you everyone for helping me with all the information and moral support.....I Passed NBDE Part 1!!!!!

Presently I am a dental student and studied for NBDE I for 2 weeks , I found the test easy as material was mostly what we already covered in the 1st year.
100% of my year passed the test and we all studied about the same amount.
I just don't understand how international dentists take the NBDE tests 3 times in a row and fail it (???)
the pass rate for international dentists is only 20% on the 1st attempt. ADA should seriously evaluate if international dentist that fail their 1st attempt should be even allowed to ever practice in USA.

Presently I am a dental student and studied for NBDE I for 2 weeks , I found the test easy as material was mostly what we already covered in the 1st year.
I just don't understand how international dentists take the NBDE tests 3 times in a row and fail it (???)
the pass rate for international dentists is only 20% on the 1st attempt. ADA should seriously evaluate if international dentist that fail their 1st attempt should be even allowed to ever practice in USA.
Ohh really!!!!! How well will you perform on the test when you appear for it 10 years later after passing your 1st year.....don't judge without knowing the complete story.... International dentists don't come to US and appear for the exam when they are in dental school like you are right now....they are already practicing dentists not students and they come 7-10 years later after they have graduated..... And you have a great opinion for ADA to change the rules!!!!
If you have so much free time to pass comments on this platform, instead of really helping, then kindly stay away from it.....I don't know why SDN let's snob write on this platform, SDN should change the rules......

Totally agree. The fact is currently many foreign nationals who come from THE country in SOUTH ASIA have already infiltrated into the dental education system and I would say, in the next 20 years, it will become even worse. These foreign PRIVATE dental school graduates with a surprisingly good-looking GPA would fail multiple attempts in the board exam and eventually, they can still practice in this country. And also, there is no brake in the immigration law to prevent them from pouring in. They will monopoly the whole profession. Really feel bad for your guys and god bless the United States.

Totally agree. The fact is currently many foreign nationals who come from THE country in SOUTH ASIA have already infiltrated into the dental education system and I would say, in the next 20 years, it will become even worse. These foreign PRIVATE dental school graduates with a surprisingly good-looking GPA would fail multiple attempts in the board exam and eventually, they can still practice in this country. And also, there is no brake in the immigration law to prevent them from pouring in. They will monopoly the whole profession. Really feel bad for your guys and god bless the United States.
Totally agree. God bless United States with dentists like you. With the kind of hatred and insensitive attitude you have towards people of THE South Asia you will definitely make a great example of what not to be. You talk about infiltration as if you own the system. If only THE United States of America was able to produce GREATS like you, it wouldn't have to give work visas to people from THE South Asia!! Don't wait for 20 years, we all can see what you will become in the next 2-3 years.

God bless you and YOUR America !!

Ohh really!!!!! How well will you perform on the test when you appear for it 10 years later after passing your 1st year.....don't judge without knowing the complete story.... International dentists don't come to US and appear for the exam when they are in dental school like you are right now....they are already practicing dentists not students and they come 7-10 years later after they have graduated..... And you have a great opinion for ADA to change the rules!!!!
If you have so much free time to pass comments on this platform, instead of really helping, then kindly stay away from it.....I don't know why SDN let's snob write on this platform, SDN should change the rules......

Just a comment on above threads:
While treating a patient as a dentist you constantly must refer to all material that you have learned previously. The purpose of the dentistry courses and the knowledge ( tested on NBDEs) is to continuously APPLY the learned knowledge when practicing dentistry and taking care of patients. As a dentist you can't just forget what you learned. Especially 7 years later you should know it from your practical experience even better then a dental student.
I just don't believe that some foreign dental schools teach well. I believe that some of the foreign dental schools produced poorly educated dentists and/or some of these dentist are not smart enough. ( when I say "foreign dental schools" I refer to schools not recognized by the ADA and not UK's, Canada or Australia)
Competition to get into a dental school in US is high and that is why US have smart people in dental schools.
I think ADA should change the rules when it comes to foreign trained dentists and allow only 1 attempt.

This is a
Just a comment on above threads:
While treating a patient as a dentist you constantly must refer to all material that you have learned previously. The purpose of the dentistry courses and the knowledge ( tested on NBDEs) is to continuously APPLY the learned knowledge when practicing dentistry and taking care of patients. As a dentist you can't just forget what you learned. Especially 7 years later you should know it from your practical experience even better then a dental student.
I just don't believe that some foreign dental schools teach well. I believe that some of the foreign dental schools produced poorly educated dentists and/or some of these dentist are not smart enough. ( when I say "foreign dental schools" I refer to schools not recognized by the ADA and not UK's, Canada or Australia)
Competition to get into a dental school in US is high and that is why US have smart people in dental schools.
I think ADA should change the rules when it comes to foreign trained dentists and allow only 1 attempt.
This is a highly subjective opinion.
Partly you are right, but, maybe due to a lack of experience, you are not aware, that stupid people are everywhere and some US schools do not teach well at all. at the same time you did not examine thoroughly every dental school in the world to judge the quality of education there or difficulty to get acceptance. The fact that those schools are not accredited only means, that US is protective of their market
Pretty much everything you said is very childish. Grow up and fill the chip

Reactions: 4 users
Sweetheart, you have no idea what you are talking about
My university program made me do medical school and dental school program, not to mention, that it had different approach to some conditions with different from current US science. Try to run marathon backwards, then you can compare and judge
Passing Boards when you are in US dental school is easy, because they just chew and put every single answer in your mouth

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree. God bless United States with dentists like you. With the kind of hatred and insensitive attitude you have towards people of THE South Asia you will definitely make a great example of what not to be. You talk about infiltration as if you own the system. If only THE United States of America was able to produce GREATS like you, it wouldn't have to give work visas to people from THE South Asia!! Don't wait for 20 years, we all can see what you will become in the next 2-3 years.

God bless you and YOUR America !!
Hopefully you can use your genius in eloquence to make up for the deficit in basic dental knowledge. Don't blame the ten years for attempts in Part II AGAIN !!!

Sweetheart, you have no idea what you are talking about
My university program made me do medical school and dental school program, not to mention, that it had different approach to some conditions with different from current US science. Try to run marathon backwards, then you can compare and judge
Passing Boards when you are in US dental school is easy, because they just chew and put every single answer in your mouth
I could feel the irony by reading between the lines. LMAO

This is a

This is a highly subjective opinion.
Partly you are right, but, maybe due to a lack of experience, you are not aware, that stupid people are everywhere and some US schools do not teach well at all. at the same time you did not examine thoroughly every dental school in the world to judge the quality of education there or difficulty to get acceptance. The fact that those schools are not accredited only means, that US is protective of their market
Pretty much everything you said is very childish. Grow up and fill the chip

I do not agree with you at all! But agree with the above post stating that : " some foreign dental schools do not teach well. I believe that some of the foreign dental schools produced poorly educated dentists ".
How can a rate of failure NBDEs be so high for foreign dentist? Because they lack the minimum knowledge! My opinion is based on statistics from ADA and I strongly believe that ADA is correct in not allowing foreign dentists from certain countries to practice here because of their lack of proper dental education and dental practical knowledge. ADA responsibility is to protect US patients and not to play politics. For example, they recognize Canadian dental schools and a dentist from Canada can practice in USA and vice versa. (because Canadian dental education is the same as in US and the NBDEs are the same)

My uncle, educated in one of the US med school & a specialist, has to pass the knowledge exam every so many years. He is 63 and never failed the exam even though he graduated from med school at 25.

I do not agree with you at all! But agree with the above post stating that : " some foreign dental schools do not teach well. I believe that some of the foreign dental schools produced poorly educated dentists ".
How can a rate of failure NBDEs be so high for foreign dentist? Because they lack the minimum knowledge! My opinion is based on statistics from ADA and I strongly believe that ADA is correct in not allowing foreign dentists from certain countries to practice here because of their lack of proper dental education and dental practical knowledge. ADA responsibility is to protect US patients and not to play politics. For example, they recognize Canadian dental schools and a dentist from Canada can practice in USA and vice versa. (because Canadian dental education is the same as in US and the NBDEs are the same)

My uncle, educated in one of the US med school & a specialist, has to pass the knowledge exam every so many years. He is 63 and never failed the exam even though he graduated from med school at 25.

And as for future IDP Admission, ADEA should make ADAT a must.

The failure rate is high, because foreign dentists have to take exam in a foreign language several years after graduation often working full time entry level jobs dead tired taking care of children at the same time.
I insist you have no idea what you are talking about

Reactions: 2 users
The failure rate is high, because foreign dentists have to take exam in a foreign language several years after graduation often working full time entry level jobs dead tired taking care of children at the same time.
I insist you have no idea what you are talking about

Excuses, excuses with no data to support what you are saying.
This is simple: there are ADA proficiency tests that every dentist must pass to practice dentistry. If a person can't pass them they should NOT be allowed to practice dentistry since patient's welfare is at stake. I believe that there should be only 1 attempt granted. Can't pass the test-do something else, but you can't become a dentist.
Over 90% of foreign trained dentists can't pass the test, they should not be allowed to practice, they do not have required knowledge. Read the following article, that states "Only two out of 240 foreign-trained medical and dental graduates who sat for the Medical and Dental Councils board examinations in November passed the first part of the examination. "
https://neweralive/238-foreign-trained-doctors-fail-statutory-exam

The data supports the statement that there is either poor education in foreign countries, the foreign dentists are not smart enough to pass the test, or maybe they got into dental schools not based on their grades ( apparently you can buy your way into some of these foreign medical and dental schools).
For example, ADA & Canadian Dental Association rejected some foreign dentist because:

"After a thorough review and investigation, the NDEB has determined that it can no longer verify credentials from Magadh University because there is not sufficient reliable information about the authenticity and validity of the documents," the board's Jennifer Sponchia wrote.

Note:
I will be no longer viewing this thread.

Dentistry is competitive, difficult, and complex everywhere. It is a tough career, no matter if you studied in Asia, Europe, America, or somewhere else. I have seen British Dentists coming from the very top Dental School in the UK (King's, UCL) failing the tests, here and there. And Americans (Michigan, UCLA) who had ventured abroad for Fellowships in the same situation with the foreign tests they had to take.

Tests are not supposed to be easy, and obviously a national applicant will be more prepared for the test of his country. Send the very top Dental Student from any Ivy League University to the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden or to the University of Zurich in Switzerland, and probably he will fail miserably. That doesn't mean he is not smart enough, that is what I am saying. The result will only reflect that he was not prepared for that test.

That being said, I think the NBDE is a very fair test, considering that provides you with the references and materials to take it. I also think that, you may be a very good professional in your country; based on the information that you have shared with us. However, 4 fails is too much and may discourage Program Directors to take you in consideration. What is worst, if you present yourself like this incredible good Orthodontist from India, why would you apply for an AEGD? It really doesn't make sense.

You should apply ONLY to Residencies or Fellowships in Orthodontics, which is what your curriculum indicates is your area of expertise. But, if it doesn't works, you should also be honest with yourself and accept the defeat. Persistence and perseverance are not the same, and PDs can tell the difference.

Everything is business. ADA gets money from foreign examinees. ADEA collect money from foreign applications. ETS, ECE also share a revenue. Some dental schools could earn half a million every year from IDP supplemental application fee.
Schools claim that "we take HOLISTIC consideration for each applicant." They will, indeed, accept a few multiple-attempts each year to keep the BUSSINESS flow. People encourage each other, "Hey, I know someone with a second attempt got into that program, so have faith! You will make it through!!" Bala bala~
When someone kindly reminds some guys to be smart, to bring their futile endeavor to a halt, some others will say discouraging others is rude. Still, I insist speaking out my mind that some foreign-trained dentists are not as excellent as they perceive themselves to be. When people say a different voice, please stay calm and listen, and use your rationality to evaluate your actual ability. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and money.

To our lovely incredibly good Indian Orthodontist: Good luck with your future academic career!

Everything is business. ADA gets money from foreign examinees. ADEA collect money from foreign applications. ETS, ECE also share a revenue. Some dental schools could earn half a million every year from IDP supplemental application fee.
Schools claim that "we take HOLISTIC consideration for each applicant." They will, indeed, accept a few multiple-attempts each year to keep the BUSSINESS flow. People encourage each other, "Hey, I know someone with a second attempt got into that program, so have faith! You will make it through!!" Bala bala~
When someone kindly reminds some guys to be smart, to bring their futile endeavor to a halt, some others will say discouraging others is rude. Still, I insist speaking out my mind that some foreign-trained dentists are not as excellent as they perceive themselves to be. When people say a different voice, please stay calm and listen, and use your rationality to evaluate your actual ability. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and money.

To our lovely incredibly good Indian Orthodontist: Good luck with your future academic career!
I have no idea why are you so interested in my career....let's talk about your career....other than being born in this country, what big achievement do you have that you can boast off?? How many years have you practiced dentistry?? How many patients have you treated till date?? How many clinical research work have you been part of?? How much knowledge do you have regarding the dental school curriculum of other countries and of USA?? How many times have you been nominated to sit on the board to define the curriculum to be followed by the dental students?? Tell me, do you even know the exact teaching methodology of each and every dental school program in all the dental schools of 50 states of USA??
If you have the answers for all these questions, then pass an opinion. Don't judge before you know the story of EVERY INTERNATIONAL DENTIST who is applying to study in this country.

I have no idea why are you so interested in my career....let's talk about your career....other than being born in this country, what big achievement do you have that you can boast off?? How many years have you practiced dentistry?? How many patients have you treated till date?? How many clinical research work have you been part of?? How much knowledge do you have regarding the dental school curriculum of other countries and of USA?? How many times have you been nominated to sit on the board to define the curriculum to be followed by the dental students?? Tell me, do you even know the exact teaching methodology of each and every dental school program in all the dental schools of 50 states of USA??
If you have the answers for all these questions, then pass an opinion. Don't judge before you know the story of EVERY INTERNATIONAL DENTIST who is applying to study in this country.

I have no idea why you are attacking this person who is telling you the truth.
You ask questions- ADA has done research on foreign dental schools and has statistics. Look at "Me-Dentist" post above. If you can't pass boards' tests you should not be allowed to practice. And overwhelming majority of foreign-trained dentists from foreign schools not approved by ADA fail the boards. Draw conclusions from that.

This rule applies to the US dental school as well, every student must pass the boards before he/she is allowed to practice. Overwhelming majority of students from US dental schools pass the boards on the 1st attempt. ( same for Canadian, UK, Australia schools).

Excuses, excuses with no data to support what you are saying.
This is simple: there are ADA proficiency tests that every dentist must pass to practice dentistry. If a person can't pass them they should NOT be allowed to practice dentistry since patient's welfare is at stake. I believe that there should be only 1 attempt granted. Can't pass the test-do something else, but you can't become a dentist.
Over 90% of foreign trained dentists can't pass the test, they should not be allowed to practice, they do not have required knowledge. Read the following article, that states "Only two out of 240 foreign-trained medical and dental graduates who sat for the Medical and Dental Councils board examinations in November passed the first part of the examination. "
https://neweralive/238-foreign-trained-doctors-fail-statutory-exam

The data supports the statement that there is either poor education in foreign countries, the foreign dentists are not smart enough to pass the test, or maybe they got into dental schools not based on their grades ( apparently you can buy your way into some of these foreign medical and dental schools).
For example, ADA & Canadian Dental Association rejected some foreign dentist because:

"After a thorough review and investigation, the NDEB has determined that it can no longer verify credentials from Magadh University because there is not sufficient reliable information about the authenticity and validity of the documents," the board's Jennifer Sponchia wrote.

Note:
I will be no longer viewing this thread.
I see, that you are scared to argue your case. I understand - it is very scary to through racist statements and then try to defend them.
It's OK, life will put you where you belong
All your statements are useless, because anyone has to pass Board exams to practice, as well as fulfill other requirements. At the same time no
one is asking to take away any of those requirements
"I am smarter and you are stupider" is a kindergarten level argument. Congratulations

Are you allowed to challenge the INBDE when it is released? It is suppose to be new and improved version of the board exam.

Unfortunately yes! The attempts do matter. But as someone already mentioned, if you have something impressive on your resume, it should help. Nevertheless, keep the hope alive and give your best shot. You never know ;)

Not passing an exam the first time and then learning from those mistakes and weaknesses to eventually pass the second time is fine in my opinion. We can give a pass on someone the first time, maybe they had too much anxiety or just a bad day in general. It's fine, s**t happens. Now, trying to pass it on the 4th attempt indicates, ok, something is wrong here. This will also raise some red flags for admissions committees when reviewing your application. People can tell you some anecdotal situations where people get accepted on multiple attempts (more than two times), albeit it's true, but they probably had to go above and beyond to mask that smear in their application. Competition is getting so fierce that some schools such as Rutgers won't even look at your application if you have an attempt, while other schools will be a lil more forgiving if you passed it on the second time. I was told by a coordinator at a school that it's fine if you passed on your second time, but passing on 4th or 5th attempts raises some red flags. And as some have already mentioned on here; will that person be able to handle the rigors of an international dental program?

As far as saying that some foreign trained dentists are not good. That's true, some are not good, just as some American trained dentists are not good either and I'm sure they passed their NBDE from the first attempt. You find the good and the bad everywhere and I've seen some really bad dentistry on both sides of the world. A lot of dental schools in this country love their IDP students because they're easier to teach since they've already been there done that, also because they have clinical experience and they don't have to babysit them in the clinic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.