NBDE PART 1-->First time taker, requesting some information

Started by navneetdh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I am starting my prep for NBDE part 1. I am a full time student so I decided to start a bit early and hopefully dedicate time studying off and on through the school year and during breaks.

I don't know much about this test and I was wondering if anyone could provide me some basic info.

1. how many sections does the test have?
2 sections in total with a break in between. each section has 200 questions and the max time for each section is 3.5 hours. total of 400 questions in the entire test with roughly 10 % questions will be testlet based.

2. how many questions should I expect --breakdown by topic?
400 questions total. Refer http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/nbde01_examinee_guide.pdf ((for distribution by topic , esp pg 34-35))

3. What sources are essential for studying and what can I use as extra reference material?
4. Where and how do I start? Like which book should I start with?
You will see infinite links answering these two questions in the same thread.

5. Are there practice tests and old tests available and if so where can I find them?
Yes, the most authentic of them are the ASDA past papers, available online at http://68.20.243.219/asda/members_online/members/createorder.asp?action=start&token= (( or get it from your friends /ebay/ amazon if you dont want to shell those many bucks))

6. I have heard something about kaplan notes--can anyone tell me what it is and how useful and how can I purchase it.
KAplan notes are good books but extensive in content. Read them in the beginning if you have time, to get a fair idea of the material. Towards the end, refer to other concise materials to save time and be exam oriented. Available at ebay/ amazon etc.


Thanks a lot and good luck to all those who are taking it soon.[/QUOTE]