NBDE Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxwelltheDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled at Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry. I would like to know what are the best NBDE Part 1 books and resources for me to ace the NBDE Part I.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends on each individual. Different people like studying from different sources but most commonly used ones include dental decks, First Aid, Dentin, Kaplan, ASDA papers, Dental board mastery app etc. I personally feel decks and ASDA papers are a must. Rest add on to these two.

I personally think the decks are just too much. My friends and I went through First Aid, Dental Board Mastery app and some old questions and we all passed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think the decks are just too much. My friends and I went through First Aid, Dental Board Mastery app and some old questions and we all passed.
Agreed. I hate the decks. I only used the Dental Boards Mastery app and a few of the ASDA released tests for both part 1 and part 2 and passed no problem.

Agreed. I hate the decks. I only used the Dental Boards Mastery app and a few of the ASDA released tests for both part 1 and part 2 and passed no problem.

what scores were u getting in the app tho?

This is reassuring. I've been using the app primarily while doing released exams. Hopefully it's sufficient.

This is reassuring. I've been using the app primarily while doing released exams. Hopefully it's sufficient.

Where did you get released exams?

Where did you get released exams?
You ASDA chapter might have them, too. We bought brand new copies a few years back so we could scan them and give clean digital copies to everyone (one of the fraternities had copies that they gave out, but they had writing and answers all over them so they were almost useless).

What time frame do you guys recommend to start studying in advance in order to prepare?

Mastery app is the way to go in my opinion. I took boards in the beginning of July and passed. I spent, 2 weeks studying (typical at my school) with roughly 12 hours a day studying Every third day I did no studying to keep from getting too stressed while cramming. So that averages out to about 8 hours a day for 2 weeks. I watched YouTube videos for the dental anatomy section and learned everything else on the exam through practice questions and looking at my sketchy microbio notes for that respective section. I was getting about 58-61% of the answers correct for most of the subjects my first time around on the mastery app. I then went over 2 released exams and 1 test from Crack the Nbde. I didn't time myself, as I answered questions and checked those answers right away. I didn't like Crack the nbde because the questions were too in depth. I think mastery app was most representative of the exam. Right before my exam, I went back over mastery app questions I marked as Don't Know, which definitely helped.

I thought I failed the exam during and after it, but I've heard the same thing from others, so make sure to keep your cool during the exam and pace yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Mastery app is pretty good, but I started it in the midst of studying off the decks so I only did 100-150 questions. After 2 and a half weeks of studying the decks I took the boards and passed.

If you want to get through the decks on a more relaxed schedule, 4 weeks is fine. If you want to really hit studying hard, 2 weeks is doable but a bit of a crunch. Some of my classmates put in 1 week but I don't think that's good for most people. I glanced through the dental anatomy videos on youtube and noticed they were great material, but just didn't have the time to look through them. Instead I watched the occlusion videos and learned the tricks. Helped me on a ton of occlusion questions.

Last edited:
Just got my board results. I passed. The app was more than enough.;)

Can anyone comment which is better between first aid and mosby's?

Hey guys I passed part 1. I used First aid(as a foundation). I took notes on the important high yield concepts. I also used Dental Boards Mastery app and used the decks for biochemistry and anatomy. I found the 300 dental anatomy facts on you tube great. Let me know if you guys need advice. I studied for 2 months.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I passed part 1. I used First aid(as a foundation). I took notes on the important high yield concepts. I also used Dental Boards Mastery app and used the decks for biochemistry and anatomy. I found the 300 dental anatomy facts on you tube great. Let me know if you guys need advice. I studied for 2 months.
Hello,
I appreciate your offer to help.thats very nice of you.I am preparing for AFK (feb 2018) do you think its enough time.
In your expert opinion what should be my strategy to pass.
I am also considering to joing caoaching shool but they are so expensive.any recommendation for good school in toronto (Yes I am in Toronto)
Please reply me ASAP as I am nervous but have burning desire to pass the exam in first attempt.

Thank you again to you and all the members for helping