NBDE Tutorials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All subject related ( NDB1,NDB2, NBDE) info can be shared here.

This thread is exclusively for users who want to help others by explaining a certain topic of interest, post mnemonic's or questions ( please include answers too) and for deliberating academically informative information.

Please don't post unrelated links, websites ( use the "links of interest" for this) or any other messages including words of thanks and encouragement here.

( suggestions and opinions on how to improve and modify this thread are welcome)

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone
i had a question about parathyroid hormone,
it causes a reabsorbtion of calcium from the kidneys right?
then is it true that in cases of hyperparathyroidism there is increased renal calcium excretion?
i would appreciaite an explanation!
thanx
ksr

hi everyone
what is the correct answer to the question? and why?
1.The amount of oxygen bound to hemoglobin:
a. is directly proportional to the partial pressure of oxygen? or
b. decreases if Pco2 increases?
the answer in 2006 decks from kaplan is written as B.
but that means that the amount of oxygen bound to hemoglobin is not proportional to the partial pressure of oxygen?
how is that possible?
could some one please explain?
thanx
ksr

Members don't see this ad :)
ksr said:
hi everyone
what is the correct answer to the question? and why?
1.The amount of oxygen bound to hemoglobin:
a. is directly proportional to the partial pressure of oxygen? or
b. decreases if Pco2 increases?
the answer in 2006 decks from kaplan is written as B.
but that means that the amount of oxygen bound to hemoglobin is not proportional to the partial pressure of oxygen?
how is that possible?
could some one please explain?
thanx
ksr

co2 has more affinity towards hb than does o2. and hence when there is rise in pco2 and a fall in po2 then hb will bind more to pco2 than po2.
hope you understand

ksr said:
hi everyone
i had a question about parathyroid hormone,
it causes a reabsorbtion of calcium from the kidneys right?
then is it true that in cases of hyperparathyroidism there is increased renal calcium excretion?
i would appreciaite an explanation!
thanx
ksr

in normal state pth causes renal reabsorption of ca.
but you are talking about hyperparathyroidism. its not a normal state. so during this condition there is excess hence the kidneys are going to excrete it because of the constant high levels of ca in blood
hope you understand my explanation

tamanna said:
in normal state pth causes renal reabsorption of ca.
but you are talking about hyperparathyroidism. its not a normal state. so during this condition there is excess hence the kidneys are going to excrete it because of the constant high levels of ca in blood
hope you understand my explanation
Hyperparathyroidism is overactivity of the parathyroid glands resulting in excess production of parathyroid hormone (PTH). Increased PTH consequently leads to increased serum calcium (hypercalcemia) due to 1) increased bone resorption, allowing flow of calcium from bone to blood, 2) reduces renal clearance of calcium, and 3) increases intestinal calcium absorption.
The excretion of Ca through the kidneys decreases which is one of the causes for hypercalcemia.

hi tammanna
thanx for the answers
could you please tell me where you read about the affinity of co2 being more than that of o2 for hemoglobin?
thanx a lot
ksr

sagi said:
Hyperparathyroidism is overactivity of the parathyroid glands resulting in excess production of parathyroid hormone (PTH). Increased PTH consequently leads to increased serum calcium (hypercalcemia) due to 1) increased bone resorption, allowing flow of calcium from bone to blood, 2) reduces renal clearance of calcium, and 3) increases intestinal calcium absorption.
The excretion of Ca through the kidneys decreases which is one of the causes for hypercalcemia.

in renal clearance it is more than the usual due to the saturation of the substrates. hence the renal clearance is more than usual in hyperparathyroidism.
this is what i read. i can send you the article if you need

ksr said:
hi tammanna
thanx for the answers
could you please tell me where you read about the affinity of co2 being more than that of o2 for hemoglobin?
thanx a lot
ksr

kaplan book

can anybody pl tell me a way 2 remember the processess of MITOSIS N MEIOSIS without cofusion?thanx.

Hi guys...have a doubt in the occlusion questions..when answering the arrow based questions on mandibular movemnets.how do we know whether it is a rite lateral movement or a left one ...i know that if its a straight arrow its working and an oblique is non working but i cant figure out abt the right side or left side. sorry of this question is dumb ...i read the dental anat tutorial but couldnt understand. any help on this would be great! is there any easy way to answer these occlusion questions because i know there are loads of them on the exam.

If The Arrow Points Labial Or Buccal It Is Left And If It Ponts Lingual It Is Right

Members don't see this ad :)
hi ...thanks dentist 33 for that but when u tried answering the questions in the past papers...it doesnt come out right. inact it shows that buccal is right side and lingual is left side after seeing the answers to the arrow questions. i wonder why there is this discrepancy. sorry for the botheration.

For me I just check with the teeth and the arrows. First decide the given teeth max or man, left or right quadrant and then with the arrows we can know rt or left lateral movement. Hope I do not make more confusions for you.

hey people.

i would appriceate if some one could guide me, what materials do i need to study for NDBEpart 1. should i just rely on kaplan and bouchers,and nbde exams sets?. do i need to refer my textbooks as well? i am asking this because i have no access to dental text books..so guidance needed urgenlty. intend to give ndbe 1 in may2007

regards,
missiondds

hey people.

i would appriceate if some one could guide me, what materials do i need to study for NDBEpart 1. should i just rely on kaplan and bouchers,and nbde exams sets?. do i need to refer my textbooks as well? i am asking this because i have no access to dental text books..so guidance needed urgenlty. intend to give ndbe 1 in may2007

regards,
missiondds

try to get the dental decks .... they will be of great help.....

wat coll have u graduated from devang????????????

i do have kaplan review notes and decntal decks 2004 and 2006
and few papers as well...

lemem knwo if ur interested.....

Rashi.

a few questions that i dint have answers to...maybe they're dumb but yeah i dint manage to crack them !!!

which of teh following describes innate immunity:
1.allergic reaction to insect venom
2.classical pathway of complement
3.destruction fo virus infected cells by T killer cells
4. production fo IgG in response to insect venom
5.alternative pathway of complement.

which condition causes myelin degeneration of axis cylinders of peripheral nerves:
1.lead poisoning
2. silver poisoning
3. mercury poisoning
4. bismuth poisoning
5. tetracycline poisoning

hi i think the answer for first question regarding innate immunity is alternate pathway and for second one its lead poisionong..correct me if i am wrong but i feel these are probable answers

hi i think the answer for first question regarding innate immunity is alternate pathway and for second one its lead poisionong..correct me if i am wrong but i feel these are probable answers

hi i dunno abt teh first one..maybe ur right.btu abt teh second one i've been doin some readin n have foudn otu that mercury affcets teh CNS much mroe than lead...so i guess it wudnt b wrong to assume it affceted teh PNS as well...

another one i cdunt get...

The biologically active conformation of trimeric G-proteins requires:

1.the alpha subunit to bind to GDP
2. teh alpha subunit to bind to GTP
3. teh hydrolysis of beta subunits
4. teh alpha subunit to phosphorylate downstream targets

coupled respiration requires all except one:
1.ADP
2.Oxygen
3. carbon di oxide
4.electron donor
5. INorganic phosphate

which of teh following best describes teh strength of cardaic msl contraction:
1.decreased when extracellular Ca++ increased
2.increased when extracelluler Ca++ increadsed
3.mainly regulated by vagal impulses
4.unaffected by extracellular Ca++
5.mainly regulated by heart rate

hi again

im not sure on the

i think its the alpha subunit to bind to GTP ..

for respiration its inorganic phosphate ..correct me if i am wrong ..bye

hi again

im not sure on them but ill try

answer is 2...increased when extracellular ca++ increased

in cardiac muscle contractile force is regulated by vayin the degree to which fibres are activated..positive inotropy is related to increased availability of intra cellar ca2+...increased concentration of extracellular ca2+ causes an increase in ca2+influx during phase 2 of action potentialfor respiration its inorganic phosphate ..

correct me if i am wrong ..bye

coupled respiration requires all except one:
1.ADP
2.Oxygen
3. carbon di oxide4.electron donor
5. INorganic phosphate

its GTP and nto GDP....they're part of second messenger systems which act by hydrolysis of GTP to GDP..so i guess GTP is teh answer....

and teh cardiac msl question had alreday been taken care of....

hi again

im not sure on the

for respiration its inorganic phosphate ..correct me if i am wrong ..bye

inorganic phospahte is impossible...cso coupled respiration is oxygen uptake dependant on presence of ADP and phosphate...i think CO2 cud b teh answer since ist respiration and Co2 is always a product and not a requiremtn fro any respiration...wat say/? its simple logic....

its GTP and nto GDP....they're part of second messenger systems which act by hydrolysis of GTP to GDP..so i guess GTP is teh answer....

and teh cardiac msl question had alreday been taken care of....

QUOTE=rashiarora;4422824]its GTP and nto GDP....they're part of second messenger systems which act by hydrolysis of GTP to GDP..so i guess GTP is teh answer....

and teh cardiac msl question had alreday been taken care of....[/QUOTE]

yap i will always read fast and write something sorry its GTP .neurotrabsmitters when bind G proteins tranform GDP to GTP of alpha subunit .dissociaton occurs these move to ion channels and membranes enzymes such as adenylate cyclase whihc converts ATP to cyclic AMP and further CAMP depentent protein kinase activated and then finally phosphorylation hope my explanation is rt.

check thsi out...okay this time i knwo the answer but cant reason ti out....

which of teh followin gas mixtures would be most potent stimulant to teh respiraoty centre:

%02 %co2 N2

1. 20 0.5 79.5
2. 20 2.0 78
3. 18 2.0 80
4. 20 5.0 75
5. 25 3.0 72

teh answer is 4...now can someone please help me reason ti out??????

hey all,
I am new to this forum and new to USA as well,so please help me to find out how to start with the complete preparation........i mean EE ,toefl.......DAT........its all so confusing :confused: ......somebody please help!!!!!!!!!!
thanx.

hey all,
I am new to this forum and new to USA as well,so please help me to find out how to start with the complete preparation........i mean EE ,toefl.......DAT........its all so confusing :confused: ......somebody please help!!!!!!!!!!
thanx.

koi to bataao!!!!!!!!!!pls help!

hi ppl
hope everybody is doin gr8
i have just started preparing for my nbde part1 but i m findin it really hard to go thru all the things in a proper manner
i have a lot of stuff but i dunno how to utilize it....
like i started wid a plan to tackle decks first n then go topics wise but its not helpin me alot....
can ne1 of u help me as to how to start studies n go thru everythin on time
i'lll b so very thankful guys
peace!!

hi
it depends on wht have u studied uptil now ok?
if u r a dentist then wht u need to do at first is start preparin for ur national board dental exam part 1 tht is the most imp thing along wid tht u neeed to get ur educational credite evaluated thru ece their website is www.ece.org
u can also go to www.ada.org there u'll find everythin
but ece n nbde r very imp after takin nbde u can apply to various skools for doin dds which is mandatory for forgein trained dentists but for tht u'll b needin ur toefl scores too but all this is afterwarrds first step is a v good score in nbde 1
goodluck

Can anyone tell me what prophylaxis should be given for Endocarditis in penicillin allergic patients?

In old papers its given Erythromycin But in 2007-2008 case studies booklet its given that Erythromycin is no longer used in penicillin allergic pt due to its effect on GIT, the drug of choice is cephalexin

What is the correct ans?

Dear Parila It I Think It Should Be Cephalaxin. Pls Correct Me If I Am Wrong

This thread is exclusively for users who want to help others by explaining a certain topic of interest, post mnemonic's or questions ( please include answers too) and for deliberating academically informative information.

Please don't post unrelated links, websites ( use the "links of interest" for this) or any other messages including words of thanks and encouragement here.

( suggestions and opinions on how to improve and modify this thread are welcome)

hi there
can someone explain me the this question
IN AN IDEAL INTERCUSPAL POSITION,WHEN THE MANDIBLE MAKES LATERAL EXCURSION,THE MESIOLINGUAL CUSP OF THE PERMANENT MAXILLARY RIGHT FIRST MOLAR OPPOSES THE........SULCUS BETWEEN THE LINGUAL CUSPS OF THE MANDIBULAR FIRST MOLAR

i want to know abt nbde.i want to know that whether i have to clear both parts for gettin admission to a dental school or i have to clear only part1.pls help..........................

hi im new to this place .i have started preparing for nbde part1 xam. i stayes in north carolina charlotte. i have complited my bds in india . can u tell me from where i will get an artificial ideal denture model to study dental anatomy, well im planing to give my xams in jan please help me for that. and anybody have dendal decks flash cards i will pay them n also i will pay for shiping charges.

hello friends i need to know abt ece. plz can anybody help me . i have completed my coarse of bds in april 2007 i got my pdc from university bt still i have to get convocation from university i will get that after 4 to 5 months can i apply for ece without convocation or i need it
thanku
shradha