USMLE NBME 18 - Questions and Answers - Discussions & Explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAberrantGene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NBME 18 has been released and is available on regular and extended feedback.
I will be taking it fairly soon as my exam is around the corner.
Let's continue the great trend on this forum and start a discussion once people start taking it,

Best of luck fellas ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
FYI for anyone who felt cruddy after this test, I took it 8 days before my exam and scored a 228 and wasn't very happy, since my goal was higher and I thought my UWorld progress reflected something in the 230s. Well, my actual score came back today and I managed a 240 on the real thing. So anyway, if you didn't feel wonderful after this test, you do have hope of still doing much better on the actual exam, and I'm saying that as someone who normally does better on practice than the real thing.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys, do you mind sharing how many questions you got wrong and what score that corresponded with? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Read through entire thread and nobody has answered this one yet! Help!

32 yo HIV+ man comes for follow up. He has been treated with HAART for the past 6 years during which his plasma HIV viral load has been undetectable. His viral load has now increased, and antiretroviral resistance is suspected. HIV genotype analysis confirms that the virus has resitance mutations. Based on finding, which of the following are most likely mutated?
a) capsid and gp120
b) CD$ and CCR5
c) Nef and Vpr
d) nucleocapsid and gp41
e) reverse transcriptase and protease
f) tat and rev

I answered Nef and Vpr but it was wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read through entire thread and nobody has answered this one yet! Help!

32 yo HIV+ man comes for follow up. He has been treated with HAART for the past 6 years during which his plasma HIV viral load has been undetectable. His viral load has now increased, and antiretroviral resistance is suspected. HIV genotype analysis confirms that the virus has resitance mutations. Based on finding, which of the following are most likely mutated?
a) capsid and gp120
b) CD$ and CCR5
c) Nef and Vpr
d) nucleocapsid and gp41
e) reverse transcriptase and protease
f) tat and rev

I answered Nef and Vpr but it was wrong.

It's E.
They are asking you to choose a mechanism of resistance for one of the components of HAART therapy: NRTIs + 1 protease inhibitor or integrase inhibitor or NNRTIs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there, can I get some help with these? thanks in advance!

for this one, I narrowed it down to Acyclovir and Ganciclovir, but how do you decide between those 2?
View attachment 202898

What clues should you look for in this question? I saw "abnormal shapes and sizes", which pointed me to AML or CML, but then the "dry tap" threw me off.
View attachment 202899

Acyclovir hsv, gan- cmv more or less.

Dry tap think myelofibrosis always or hairy cell.

Was there a Q w the third one?

It should be C.
He is a long time smoker presenting with signs of right heart failure.
Also note that the murmur increases on inspiration which indicates a right side murmur...
COPD leads to pulmonary hypoxic vasoconstriction, that results in right ventricular hypertrophy and subsequent right heart failure.

OMG - for some reason, I didn't even register the fact that Cor pulmonale was an answer choice. A "DUH" moment for me, but thank you for the wonderful explanation :)

did anyone get this right? Patient has polycystic kidneys with a high Creatinine level. This person has renal failure, so PTH should be high, and Bicarbonate should be decreased (kidneys can't reabsorb bicarb). So, the answer is either A or C. I chose C and got it wrong. I think the answer is C, because PTH actually increases serum levels of Phosphate because PTH causes bone resorption, causing phosphate to be released into the blood. PTH causes phosphate excretion by the kidneys, but I guess it's not enough to balance the phosphate being released from the bone?

View attachment 203079

renal problem --> retain phosphate--> increase PTH to increase calcium (low vit. D w renal problem) and try to decrease phosphate. Leaves you with C. Bicarb will decrease due to kidney problem as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this has already been answered or not, but can someone explain this concept?

From Block 2 Part 2:
36-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV. Two months ago, started antiretroviral therapy with efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir. Labs: CD4 352 and undetectable HIV viral load. Two months ago, CD4 count was 158 and plasma HIV viral load was 5500. Next step?
- Continue efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir with no changes

I don't know if this has already been answered or not, but can someone explain this concept?

From Block 2 Part 2:
36-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV. Two months ago, started antiretroviral therapy with efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir. Labs: CD4 352 and undetectable HIV viral load. Two months ago, CD4 count was 158 and plasma HIV viral load was 5500. Next step?
- Continue efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir with no changes

HIV patients should be kept on a HAART regimen, which includes 2 NRTIs and one other drug PI/NNRTI/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

HIV patients should be kept on a HAART regimen, which includes 2 NRTIs and one other drug PI/NNRTI/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank you that makes sense! I was wondering why none of the drugs aren't swapped out if the pt develops resistance?

upload_2016-5-7_15-55-15.png

is the answer staphylococcus aureus? Since it is the "causal organism"?

View attachment 203424
is the answer staphylococcus aureus? Since it is the "causal organism"?

Most likely Vibrio given marine background and severe cellulitis leading to sepsis.. From Wiki... Vibrio leads to, "necrotizing wound infections of injured skin that is exposed to contaminated marine water. In other words, the V. vulnificusbacteria can enter the body through open wounds when swimming or wading in infected waters,[4] or by puncture wounds from the spines of fish such as tilapia or stingrays. These patients may develop a blisteringdermatitis sometimes mistaken forpemphigus or pemphigoid."

Reactions: 2 users
in this question, the patient is a baby (10 days old), and it looks like symptoms of conjunctivitis. I'm torn between Chlamydia or Cytomegalovirus. Cytomegalovirus is a TORCH infection and associated with Retinitis.
However, I read online that Chlamydia causes red eyes with a "watery discharge". But Chlamydia is not a TORCH infection, and it seems unlikely in a 10-day old infant.

Thanks in advance!
It's chlamydia. When you see neonatal conjunctivitis, it is either gonorrhea or chlamydia - not CMV. Gonorrhea causes a more purulent conjunctivitis and occurs in the first 1-2 days of life. This case, occurring at day 10, is more consistent with chlamydia.

Plus, the fact that they mention the mother missed out on prenatal care - they are referring to the fact that she would have been screened for and treated for chlamydia or gonorrhea prenatally - whereas they don't do that for CMV. Just another clue :)

for the below question, in Chagas disease, the smooth muscle (at the Lower Esophageal sphincter) fails to relax, so the LES stays closed and that's why the esophagus becomes dilated.

with that being said, is the answer C? The problem is lack of smooth muscle relaxation, but "degeneration" seemed too strong of a word. I looked on wikipedia, and it said there is an imbalance between excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters, and Chagas disease patients lack inhibitory neurotransmitters such as VIP (so maybe the answer is D?).

thank you!!!!!!!!

It's E. The smooth muscle fails to relax because of denervation.

I know PTU causes agranulocytosis, but I wasn't sure if that's the correct answer (how does Agranulocytosis cause ulcerative pharnygeal disease)? Your immune system will be compromised (lack of neutrophils, etc.), which could lead to an infection?

View attachment 203531
Yup. Pharyngitis is a classic presentation of neutropenia/agranulocytosis.

Sometimes the question stem will describe someone with who is taking PTU who presents with a sore throat, asking what the next step is. And the answer is get a complete blood count.

Yup. Pharyngitis is a classic presentation of neutropenia/agranulocytosis.

Sometimes the question stem will describe someone with who is taking PTU who presents with a sore throat, asking what the next step is. And the answer is get a complete blood count.

thank you for answering so many of my questions!

okay, here's another one!

Looks like this patient has plenty of neutrophils (normal Leukocyte count is 4,500-11,000).

but neutrophils are not present at the site of the lesion, which means the neutrophils aren't adhering to the site (so maybe the answer is "integrin")?
View attachment 203611
That's correct. It is leukocyte adhesion deficiency, which is caused by a defective integrin.
(Note that another key association with this condition is delayed separation of the umbilical cord, because neutrophils are also involved in that process.)

Based on the clues in the quetion stem, I think the answer to this question is Strep. viridans. Out of all the answer choices, "greening reaction" looks good because Strep. viridans is Alpha-hemolytic and turns green on blood agar, but I wasn't sure if "greening reaction" is a trick, or is that what it means? thanks in advance.
View attachment 203823
It's the greening reaction. Coag production applies to staph. Viridans is resistant to optochin. I don't recall seeing indole production come up in FA, but it looks like it's produced by a bunch of gut flora and some other bacteria I haven't heard of. Novobiocin sensitivity is used for staph. And bacitracin sensitivity is used for GAS and GBS.

It's the greening reaction. Coag production applies to staph. Viridans is resistant to optochin. I don't recall seeing indole production come up in FA, but it looks like it's produced by a bunch of gut flora and some other bacteria I haven't heard of. Novobiocin sensitivity is used for staph. And bacitracin sensitivity is used for GAS and GBS.

thank you!

A 68 year old man has a serum creatinine of 2.3 mg/dL due to chronically increased hydrostatic pressure in Bowman space. Which of the following disorders is the most likely cause of these finding?

a) BPH
b) Congestive heart failure
c) Hypertension (wrong)
d) Interstitial nephritis
e) Nephrotic syndrome
f) Type 2 diabetes mellitus

I believe this one is BPH. Also got this wrong but reading about it I realised that Bowman Space is the space contained past the glomerular basement membrane into the tubules. A obstruction would increase hydrostatic pressure along the tubules before that obstruction. If someone marked BPH on this one and got it right please say so just so we can get this question 100% over with. Thanks in advance!

I believe this one is BPH. Also got this wrong but reading about it I realised that Bowman Space is the space contained past the glomerular basement membrane into the tubules. A obstruction would increase hydrostatic pressure along the tubules before that obstruction. If someone marked BPH on this one and got it right please say so just so we can get this question 100% over with. Thanks in advance!

yeah, I put BPH, and I definitely got that right.

Here's another question. I have no idea about this one!

View attachment 203955

The question states that parathyroid glands are not found superiorly. The 3rd pharyngeal pouch contributes to the inferior parathyroids. The 4th pharyngeal pouch develops into the superior parathyroids. I think the answer is A. abnormal migration of endoderm from the fourth pharyngeal pouch. Also, incomplete formation of the 3rd pouch could also contribute to T cell defects since the thymus is also derived from 3rd pouch.

Reactions: 2 users
NBME 18 is by far the stupidest exam of them all. Some questions are so terribly written with poor answer choices. I did just as well on it as my other NBMEs due to the curve, but dear god it was such a stupid exam.

i'm still confused on the heparin-warfarin question.. why is the answer long half life of factor II? factor II is still around wouldn't the PTT still be normal also? because factor II is part of the combined pathway

i'm still confused on the heparin-warfarin question.. why is the answer long half life of factor II? factor II is still around wouldn't the PTT still be normal also? because factor II is part of the combined pathway

Initially, that question didn't make any sense to me either for the same reason. The only way it would makes sense is if they chelate the sample with protamine before the PT test, which, to me is logical step. Otherwise when you're bridging to warfarin your PT wouldn't be accurate due to the effects of heparin on the common pathway. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in here. If they do chelate the heparin, then the entire vignette, and the answer, makes sense.

3. A 25 yo man just returned from work as worker from Africa begins oral chloroquine therapy for malaria caused by Plasmodium vivax. His initial therapeutic response is good, but he develops recurrent parasitemia 2 months later. Which of the following best explains the recurrence ?
a. Chloroquine is ineffective as oral therapy for P. vivax malaria (WRONG)
b. Chloroquine is ineffective on the exoerythrocytic malaria tissue stages
c. Chloroquine is only effective against P. vivax when combined with metronidazole
d. The patient has a second previously occult malaria infection
e. The patient is inefected with a chloroquine-resistant strain of P.vivax

why is A wrong? chloroquine would not target the hyponozoites, correct? is exoerythrocytic just a fancy name for that stage of hypnozoite? wouldn't the inability to target the hypnozoites make chloroquine ineffective for vivax?

1. a 35 yo woman with infertile, receive injection of contrast material into cervix. on hysterosalpingogram, contrast material also seen in peritoneal cavity, which explain this finding
a) rupture of the fallopian tube
b) rupture of the uterine body
c) spillage of contrast, which an artifact
d) spillage of contrast which normal

why do the tubes spill (d)? Are they normally not connected at all to the ovary? they just float there? This is definitely news to me if so :-O

3. A lab tech wipes doiwn the workbench with alcohol after an experiment. This treatment will successfully inactivated viruses with which of the following characteristics?
A- DNA genome
B- enveloped virion
C- helical capsid
D- icosahedral capsid
E- naked virion
F- RNA genome

33-year-old man dx with epilepsy age 10 years. Most recent generalized tonic-clonic was 5 years ago. Medication was adjusted. Current meds include carbamazepine. He's never had any collisions while driving his motor vehicle. Patient's status with respect to driving?
why is he medically qualified to drive? What is the cutoffs/regulations with this? never heard of this before

5. there was a celiac question.. why did they have pale stools? I thought pale stool tends to happen if you aren't excreting bile into the GI tract, sicne that is what gets converted to stercobillin that gives it the color.

39yo man with polycystic kidney disease has 6 mo hisory of intermitent blood in urine. T 37C, pulse 100, resp 24, BP 160/90. physical shows no other abnormality. his serum urea concentration is 100 mg.ml, creatinine 8mg.dl. urinalysis shows blood. arterial gas would be:
pH pCO2 HCO3
a)7.22/28/11
b)7.32/64/32
c)7.38/40/23
d)7.46/19/13
e)7.49/50/37

I understand why people say A since it was renal failure > metabolic acidosis. I think the way I was thinking about this was that i thought also in PKD people get hypertension from increased renin release due to the cysts blocking blood flow (hence why you give them ACE/ARBs).. so i was thinking E because high RAAS would cause lots of H+ to be excreted, creating the metabolic alkalosis. why is this wrong?

A 40 year old man has had orthostatic hypotension and loose stools for 1 year, 26 years of T1DM. What is causing the loose stools?
Exudation
Malabsorptioni
Motility disorder
Osmosis
Secretoin

Why motility? Somebody said previously it was a neuropathy from diabetes, why wouldn't that cause constipation instead?

5. 18 month old girl with 2 days of cough and hoarseness. 102 fever. Harsh, barking cough. Mild erythema of the oropharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa but no exudate. Rapid strep test is negative. Condition improves within 4 days. What was the cause?
Influenza A, Parainfluenza, RSV, S. aureus, C. diptheriae

I said influenza but it was wrong. Was it RSV? How can I tell what is was just based on "harsh barking cough" I didn't think it was parainfluenza since no inspiratory stridor. I was thinking flu since the erythema in the throat which is where influenza invades, right?