NBME peak score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bsimon24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question about typical NBME/exam performance. I seem to have improved to the point of performing extremely well in all organ systems, pharm, and micro. However, I notice that no matter what I do during the week my biochemistry/mol. and cell bio is low. I have 3 weeks left until my exam and my score seems to be stuck in the 226-230 range. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this particular problem? If so any help would be greatly appreciated.

NBME 12 (March)- 204
School CBBSA- 224
NBME 13 - 224, 1st week
NBME 15-224, 2nd week
NBME 16- 230, 3rd week

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I have a question about typical NBME/exam performance. I seem to have improved to the point of performing extremely well in all organ systems, pharm, and micro. However, I notice that no matter what I do during the week my biochemistry/mol. and cell bio is low. I have 3 weeks left until my exam and my score seems to be stuck in the 226-230 range. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this particular problem? If so any help would be greatly appreciated.

NBME 12 (March)- 204
School CBBSA- 224
NBME 13 - 224, 1st week
NBME 15-224, 2nd week
NBME 16- 230, 3rd week

I'm roughly in the same boat as you are,
School CBBSE-235. Jan. UWSA1-242. Jan
NBME 11-230 feb
NBME 13- 247 April 3
NBME 15- 251. April 19
NBME 16- 251. May 18

People have been telling me to just go 'take the exam already' as soon as I hit 230, it made me feel like I might have 'peaked' or whatever but I refused to believe that and continued to do questions, only when I'm done with what remains of my RX and uworld will I finally give up on trying to raise my score (probably next month) It's been a slow climb, beginning with the UWSA in January till NBME 16 which I took this afternoon, but roughly that's my plan, doing as many questions as possible, including all the NBMEs. My performance in the some systems are consistent others not (micro, anatomy, behavioral). my two cents is you should expose yourself to as many questions as possible and learn from them. Hope that helps.

You probably don't want to hear this but if your performance is consistently weak in those areas, it means you are lacking in the fundamentals. That's not something you can fix by reading First Aid. If you have time, crack open a solid review book with some depth. If your school's lectures are solid and you have access to them on recording, double speed it and spend some solid time on it.

I'm roughly in the same boat as you are,
School CBBSE-235. Jan. UWSA1-242. Jan
NBME 11-230 feb
NBME 13- 247 April 3
NBME 15- 251. April 19
NBME 16- 251. May 18

People have been telling me to just go 'take the exam already' as soon as I hit 230, it made me feel like I might have 'peaked' or whatever but I refused to believe that and continued to do questions, only when I'm done with what remains of my RX and uworld will I finally give up on trying to raise my score (probably next month) It's been a slow climb, beginning with the UWSA in January till NBME 16 which I took this afternoon, but roughly that's my plan, doing as many questions as possible, including all the NBMEs. My performance in the some systems are consistent others not (micro, anatomy, behavioral). my two cents is you should expose yourself to as many questions as possible and learn from them. Hope that helps.

Can I ask, having reached the point of prep where you're hitting 250 on NBMEs, are you finding doing Rx worthwhile? Aren't most of their questions very straight forward, designed more for the initial stages of reading?

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably don't want to hear this but if your performance is consistently weak in those areas, it means you are lacking in the fundamentals. That's not something you can fix by reading First Aid. If you have time, crack open a solid review book with some depth. If your school's lectures are solid and you have access to them on recording, double speed it and spend some solid time on it.
Oh no, I really appreciate any type of help. I'm accepting of critique. I'm just at an odd place. As far as the areas I'm scoring low in on the NBME. I am not sure why I am understanding the Kaplan/Uworld Mol. Bio/Biochemistry, but not so much the NBME. I understand the concepts and fundamentals, however I have noticed it is very specific types of questions I miss in those sections (i.e. the ones with enzymes in table format- i know the enzymes and all the steps etc, but during the exam I didn't notice some key things that the graph was trying to say). I think I am having more trouble figuring out exactly what some of the questions are asking. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

You have to be really honest with yourself. Ask what topics would make you uncomfortable if you got them on the real thing then hit those. Hard.

It seems to be clear what those topics are for you, and I would block off a few days to dedicate to thoroughly building up that knowledge base. Like don't even review organ system or micro stuff that you know until you feel more comfortable with the stuff holding you back. I did this with biochem for about 2 days and it worked.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to be really honest with yourself. Ask what topics would make you uncomfortable if you got them on the real thing then hit those. Hard.

It seems to be clear what those topics are for you, and I would block off a few days to dedicate to thoroughly building up that knowledge base. Like don't even review organ system or micro stuff that you know until you feel more comfortable with the stuff holding you back. I did this with biochem for about 2 days and it worked.
Yes I believe you are right. Thank you for the response.

Can I ask, having reached the point of prep where you're hitting 250 on NBMEs, are you finding doing Rx worthwhile? Aren't most of their questions very straight forward, designed more for the initial stages of reading?

I didn't really use the first aid while I was doing basic Med so I kinda need Rx for a solid read. it just helps me pay attention to the tiny details in the first aid that I might have missed on my first pass and I think concepts stick better when you get a question on them wrong. I agree that Rx takes a simplistic approach but there are some questions I've come across that have impressed me.