NBMEs instead of UWorld for CBSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering the CBSE is known to be much more similar to NBMEs than to UWorld question format, would I be ill-advised to stop UWorld and do NBMEs instead? Forms 25-30 themselves are already 1000 questions.

If it matters, I dont plan on using UWorld to initially learn content, but to test myself and review and get used to question format. Im using bootcamp and anki to cover the material. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The CBSE questions are more similar to practice NBMEs but Uworld questions have explanations. Most people do like 2-5 NBMEs about 1-2 months prior to the test.

Both are important to do IMO. Depends how far through Uworld you are and when the test date is (assuming February). Generally I wouldn't replace UWorld with NBMEs.

I think both are necessary. NBMEs 21-31 + free 120 are almost mandatory. Not saying you can't do well without them but you're losing easy points.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can find forms 20-24 online with explanations if you dig around. They’re not official explanations, but some tutor or someone else. They were correct though.

25 onward have explanations. Some are better than others, but they’re set up like UWorld explanations- learning objective, longer explanation, why each answer is wrong, etc.

Your goal should be to see as many questions as possible. UWorld and the NBMEs are gold standard. I would try to get through as much UWorld as possible. But I would also make sure that I did NBME 20-31 (I think is the most recent). Review thoroughly. Hit your weak spots, and then reuse the NBMEs a few weeks later as question blocks to see it all again. Fill in with UWorld on your phone when you have down time. 10 questions here. 10 questions there.

I have a question. Where is everyone finding these NBME for the CBSE? If I am a D3 should I be taking the February one next year or would the July test be okay to take before application or should I do both?

I have a question. Where is everyone finding these NBME for the CBSE? If I am a D3 should I be taking the February one next year or would the July test be okay to take before application or should I do both?
If you are a D3, this July is the last time you can take it unless you want to do a gap year

Would it be wise to take it both February and July? Also, I cannot put 2025 for the match program is that because it doesn't open until next year for applying to the OMFS match.