NC Malpractice Situation - Any info appreciated...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCER2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently contacted by a hospital in NC about potential employment after completing my program in 2008. So far seems like a nice hospital in a nice area run by a nice, stable group. Nice patient mix with good reimbursement.

My problem is... NC doesn't have the best reputation in the world for malpractice environment. ACEP gave it an F on its ER report card. So my question is (particularly to you guys practicing in NC), how big of a deal should this be? I'm originally from SC (which apparently has the 5th best malpractice climate in the country), and I look forward to returning to the southeast after finishing residency to be nearer to my family. There are a lot of appealing factors for me about North Carolina, which caused me to look there as well.

In my mind, the job is still under consideration for me. Just curious how you guys feel about it? Also, are there any current signs that times may be changing (ie non-economic damages caps, etc.)? At this point with no ties to any particular area trying to keep my options open. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Two words - John Edwards.

any time someone does something terrible, underhanded, dirty, or just generally greed driven, we should say that they "pulled a john edwards".

ex1. baseball team X dismantles their roster after winning the world series so as to decrease salary while still cashing in on the world series cache. owner X "pulled a john edwards"

ex2. lawyer X makes a deal with satan to make him rich and have hair that never moves. this lawyer has "pulled a john edwards"

on the other hand, north carolina is a beautiful state. very few states have mountains and beach w/in 30 minutes of each other.

-tm

Members don't see this ad :)
on the other hand, north carolina is a beautiful state. very few states have mountains and beach w/in 30 minutes of each other.

-tm

just an FYI, in case you ever visit NC, The beach is more like 4-5 hours from the mountains. plan accordingly
streetdoc

I was recently contacted by a hospital in NC about potential employment after completing my program in 2008. So far seems like a nice hospital in a nice area run by a nice, stable group. Nice patient mix with good reimbursement.

My problem is... NC doesn't have the best reputation in the world for malpractice environment. ACEP gave it an F on its ER report card. So my question is (particularly to you guys practicing in NC), how big of a deal should this be? I'm originally from SC (which apparently has the 5th best malpractice climate in the country), and I look forward to returning to the southeast after finishing residency to be nearer to my family. There are a lot of appealing factors for me about North Carolina, which caused me to look there as well.

In my mind, the job is still under consideration for me. Just curious how you guys feel about it? Also, are there any current signs that times may be changing (ie non-economic damages caps, etc.)? At this point with no ties to any particular area trying to keep my options open. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

Any minute, Apollyon should be showing up. He trained in NC and is now working in SC, and he's pretty well versed from the sound of things in the relevant issues.

just an FYI, in case you ever visit NC, The beach is more like 4-5 hours from the mountains. plan accordingly
streetdoc

good thing i'm not a geographer...

-tm

streetdoc

I was wondering how he was getting around. That gulfstream V must be gassed up and ready to go right off of Kitty Hawk or something (yeah, yeah, Wilmington would probably be closer).

streetdoc

Depends on the beach, where you are in the mountains, and of course how fast you drive (not that anyone here would ever break the law and speed of course...). :)

Any minute, Apollyon should be showing up. He trained in NC and is now working in SC, and he's pretty well versed from the sound of things in the relevant issues.

Thanks for the props. In short, it is like SCER2005 said - it's night and day between NC and SC (with the sunny side on SC). I was surprised to see how much the state is on the doctors' side in SC, whereas that is definitely NOT the case in NC. Mind you, I'm a bit biased. Still, I love where I'm at, and do certainly feel much more professionally protected in SC. Moreover, the rates for the protection are not through the roof, by any means.

Man, have I got a solution for you. Stay in Texas in one of the country's best medical-legal environments and then visit the family on the coast.

Afterall, you now have a bonafide Texan in the family. :)

Take care,
Jeff

I was wondering how he was getting around. That gulfstream V must be gassed up and ready to go right off of Kitty Hawk or something (yeah, yeah, Wilmington would probably be closer).
Damn....I was going to make a comment about a Cessna Citation.

He ain't just talking about malpractice either.

Let's not start up the NC vs. SC debates! It could get ugly... ;)

Seriously, I don't know 2 states that are so close together that are so different culturally, politically, geographically, etc. I can't comment on the malpractice climate because I'm not at that stage yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if SC is as doctor-friendly as everyone here says.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's not start up the NC vs. SC debates! It could get ugly... ;)

Seriously, I don't know 2 states that are so close together that are so different culturally, politically, geographically, etc. I can't comment on the malpractice climate because I'm not at that stage yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if SC is as doctor-friendly as everyone here says.

Seriously? No foolin', as a transplanted northener, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. Educate me, please! (I'm serious! Even if you want to do it via PM so as not to start a flame-fanning debate, do it, please)

Seriously? No foolin', as a transplanted northener, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. Educate me, please! (I'm serious! Even if you want to do it via PM so as not to start a flame-fanning debate, do it, please)

LOL. Alot of the differences you might not notice unless you've lived here for a while. I've lived in NC my whole life and have alot of family from SC, so I guess I have a different perspective. Let's just say I'm not a fan of SC with the exception of Charleston (which is fantastic) and Hilton Head (never been there, but everyone I know who's been there loves it).

I really don't want to hijack this thread.....I'll PM you later today so I won't get myself into a flame war. :)

It's actually quite simple.

Here in N.C. we actually know how to cook a pig.

It's actually quite simple.

Here in N.C. we actually know how to cook a pig.

Oh its on now....

And I agree completely. :thumbup:

- it's night and day between NC and SC (with the sunny side on SC). I was surprised to see how much the state is on the doctors' side in SC, whereas that is definitely NOT the case in NC. Mind you, I'm a bit biased. Still, I love where I'm at, and do certainly feel much more professionally protected in SC. Moreover, the rates for the protection are not through the roof, by any means.

If you want to live in one of the best places on earth, you gotta pay a price.:smuggrin:

And by the way, where the hell did SC get the idea about puttin' a red sauce on a pig???

You know, our brothers in the western part of the state get away with this as well.

It is a minor sin compared to mustard though, those silly South Carolinians.

Mustard???:eek: That just sounds NASTY!

I little in potato salad and a good squirt on a samwich, the rest of the time it should stay in the fridge.

I assume that some of you have tried Bill's BBQ and Parkers? Mmmmmm...;)

You know, our brothers in the western part of the state get away with this as well.

It is a minor sin compared to mustard though, those silly South Carolinians.

How dare you mock our mustard sauce!

The way I see it, the differences between SC and NC bbq can be compared to the difference between peach pie and peach cobbler. Both darn tasty, just a touch different.

As for malpractice, I seem to recall our OBs (this is SC) only paying something like $30,000 a year. My ophthalmologist pays around 10, and my FP around 2 or 3. Note: these numbers are a few years old off my very bad memory, so take with a few dozen grains of salt.

imagine my delight when i found a restaurant here in chicago that serves NC STYLE BBQ!!!! it's not "the same" but it is vinegar based w/ no nassy sauce smeared on it. they also serve SWEET TEA. and are 2 blocks from my house!!!!

NC is usually at least a lil above SC in education rankings, thank you very much! SC has cheaper gas, i'll give it that. but they have to live w/ the awfulness that is south of the border and myrtle beach!!!

OUCH!
So you mock our mustard based BBQ (don't knock it 'till you try it), our education rankings (which mean about as much as EM rankings), and Myrtle Beach (which may be an eyesore, but those damn yankees and canadians treat it like Mecca so we laugh all the way to the bank).

I really see no need for flames about this topic-to each their own.
Do north and South Dakota have this type of hostile relationship??

streetdoc <--SC born and raised...and edukated ther two!

i've had the mustard, it's ok... maurice's i think it was called, down in columbia. i just prefer the NC style and well chicago bbq just downright sucks.

i forgot to add a GO TARHEELS! to my last post

i've had the mustard, it's ok... maurice's i think it was called, down in columbia. i just prefer the NC style and well chicago bbq just downright sucks.

i forgot to add a GO TARHEELS! to my last post

Yep, Maurice is quite the celeb with his confederate flag flyin' restaurants 'round here in columbia. mmmmm, all this talk about BBQ is making my hungry!
GO COCKS!
streetdoc

Oh I live in Greenville. I can eat some Parker's. But nothing beat's B's BBQ. :D

And seriously, red sauce on a pig? That's just uncalled for.

B's has some dang good ribs. I admit, their BBQ might kick parkers to the curb.

I'll call truce since we once fought under the same flag, but there's still no 'scuse for mustard on BBQ though.:oops:

B's has some dang good ribs. I admit, their BBQ might kick parkers to the curb.

I'll call truce since we once fought under the same flag, but there's still no 'scuse for mustard on BBQ though.:oops:

You can get ribs at B's? What time do you get there, 2am? Put up a tent?

Mustard sauce works just fine thank you. It is better than red sauce, and since mustard is 80% vinegar (give or take), I don't know why you are complaining.

Go Tigers.

Dudes. VINEGAR sauce. That is ALL!

You can get ribs at B's? What time do you get there, 2am? Put up a tent?

Mustard sauce works just fine thank you. It is better than red sauce, and since mustard is 80% vinegar (give or take), I don't know why you are complaining.

Go Tigers.

I've never heard of anyone getting ribs at B's. Maybe I just haven't gotten there in time. I should point out that B's is roughly 1.5 miles from my apartment.

Dudes. Mustard sauce. That is ALL!

Wait, what? Take that back!!!

Dudes. VINEGAR sauce. That is ALL!

WOW! Hard to find a girl who knows her barbecue. If I wasn't already married.... j/k ;)

Seriously, I'm a vinegar sauce man myself but really like the slight addition of the tomato base in the Western Style. I've had barbecue from all around the region and don't care for the mustard-stuff at all. In my opinion, you just can't beat Lexington barbecue and hush puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just like to say that I love how any conversation about the Carolinas quickly turns into a barbeque discussion. :laugh:

VINEGAR FTW.

WOW! Hard to find a girl who knows her barbecue. If I wasn't already married.... j/k ;)

Seriously, I'm a vinegar sauce man myself but really like the slight addition of the tomato base in the Western Style. I've had barbecue from all around the region and don't care for the mustard-stuff at all. In my opinion, you just can't beat Lexington barbecue and hush puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOH hush puppies. The best hushpuppies I've EVER had were a little different than the usual - cornbread on the outside and BUTTERED CORN on the inside. Calling them hushpuppies may be blasphemous, but OH HOW YUMMY!

IMNHO, tomatoes have no place in my bbq.

Sadly, the best Carolina (and when I say "Carolina" I really mean "G-d's Country") bbq I've ever had was at this place in Williamsburg, VA (yeah...wtf??!?!). Pierce's. Eat there if you every get the chance.

Okay now we can be friends again. Thanks for the edit. I was worried there for a second, SoCute...

Sowwy!

I'd just like to say that I love how any conversation about the Carolinas quickly turns into a barbeque discussion. :laugh:

VINEGAR FTW.

We could always veer it toward Chick-Fil-A and Bojangles :p

does anyone know who to contact to get Chick-Fil-A to open an outpost in the Windy City? They're circling, but not coming in!

I still wish I could get Krystal in NYC. White Castle just isn't the same. And the only Krispy Kreme I've been able to find is inside Penn Station, everywhere else it is Dunkin Donuts. Sigh . . .

VINEGAR FTW.

Yeah, if In-N-Out had a carolina bbq sandwich, they could take over the world.

Hmmmm.

Two words - John Edwards.
speaking of ... that man... did y'all see today on the news that he said his DREAM JOB and I quote "dream job" if he couldn't be President was to be a MILL SUPERVISOR? lol. My uncle is one and he said "keep that *nice man* away from forestry, the malpractice people can have him"

For ribs at B's, you have to show up early and you have to ask for them. Of course, it has been years since I have had them...are they even in the same place, with the smoke pouring out of the shed in the back?

Three more years and I can return to the south...how sweet it will be. Of course, my arteries thank me every day for not being there. I often wonder if the BBQ places in NC are getting kickbacks from the local cardiologists...:rolleyes:

Well poop is 90% water, but I prefer water. :smuggrin:

I promise to give it a fair shake if I ever get the chance to try it... the mustard sauce of course.

Well poop is 90% water, but I prefer water. :smuggrin:

I promise to give it a fair shake if I ever get the chance to try it... the mustard sauce of course.

I still wish I could get Krystal in NYC. White Castle just isn't the same. And the only Krispy Kreme I've been able to find is inside Penn Station, everywhere else it is Dunkin Donuts. Sigh . . .

Since Krispy Kremes are 80% hot air anyways, you ain't missin' much.

What the Carolinas need in the worst way is Tim Horton's. Good doughnuts, great coffee!

KK beat the hell out of DD, especially when hot mmmmmm...

KK beat the hell out of DD, especially when hot mmmmmm...

I agree that KK has the better doughnuts, but I do admit that I like DD coffee much better.

For ribs at B's, you have to show up early and you have to ask for them. Of course, it has been years since I have had them...are they even in the same place, with the smoke pouring out of the shed in the back?

They haven't even mopped the floors from what I can tell.

Any BBQ joint that has a road named after them is worth the drive to see. This one is worth waiting to eat at, just get there early, or you'll be in line when they run out of food.

To all of you who believe North Carolina BBQ is superior I have just one word for you........ Shealy's. If you don't know what it is then I truly pity you. They have THE best food period anywhere. I would gladly kill you all just for a bite.

Damn! Now I've gone and made myself all hungry. And who is giong to clean all of this drool off the keyboard.

To all of you who believe North Carolina BBQ is superior I have just one word for you........ Shealy's. If you don't know what it is then I truly pity you. They have THE best food period anywhere. I would gladly kill you all just for a bite.

Damn! Now I've gone and made myself all hungry. And who is giong to clean all of this drool off the keyboard.

Shealy's is the ONLY reason I visit my in-laws (that's not a joke). They live just minutes from Shealy's, but prefer Jackie Hite's BBQ (they only exist to torment me).
Another day, another trip to get mustard-based BBQ...
streetdoc

I ignored this thread for a few days; I wasn't in the mood to read about malpractice. Once I saw 40+ replies I figured something fun was happening... who would have guessed we were discussing BBQ instead.

And just to rock the boat, I'm an Alabama-south georgia-north florida BBQ kinda guy, and prefer the sweet sauce. On pulled pork. You can't do pork any other way-- sliced or chopped is a sin. And my favorite ribs are from Dreamland in Tuscaloosa.

Sorry Carolina.