NC pre-vet "program"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WolvesDragon55

VMCVM Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! So one of my cousins recently decided to start the pre-vet route. She is planning on moving to NC and going to NC state. She asked me if I knew anything about the pre-vet curriculum there, club, majors, opportunities, etc. and I had no idea what to tell her (being from MD). So I thought I would ask some of my more knowledgeable peers. I already gave her a ton of info on applying, what she needs to do to get experience, etc.

Specifically she is interested in equine.

Any info is appreciated! Thank y'all!
 
I would try to answer, but a lot has changed since my undergrad days 🙂 That is for the better! They have a great Pre-Vet support system here at NCSU, including the VetPAC (http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/vetpac/).

Pre-Vet is just a label here, so the options on the majors is endless. This includes Animal Science, Poultry Science, Biology, etc. etc. Animal Science allows you to take a variety of courses focusing on different species (Equine, Bovine, Swine, etc). This is the link to the NCSU Animal Science Department that lists several things she can take a look at: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/home/teaching.htm.

I am sure a more current student will be able to offer more insight 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If she has any more particular questions, I can probably answer them! I'm a recent NCSU grad (2012) and now attend the vet school. I'm not a horsey person but know we have a ton of opportunities with them; there's internships with the equine unit, a therapeutic riding organization in the area, you can actually take horseback riding as a PE credit, etc, etc.

If she's going to be in Raleigh sometime this semester, prospective students can meet up with VetPAC interns and chit chat about anything her heart desires - there's info on making an appt here: http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/vetpac/index.cfm?pageID=1968 That website also has a ton of opportunities and info on it, too.