NC State vs Ohio State - Have to Decide by Monday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmwells

Reaction score
Hey, so I was OOS accepted to Ohio State, but I was pulled off the OOS NC State (NCSU) waitlist today and I have until Monday to make a decision. If anyone could PLEASE give me any insight into these 2 programs I would greatly appreciate it. I am mostly interested in emergency veterinary medicine and know both of these schools offer great opportunities for caseload and what not. I have also reviewed the google doc "factors when picking a school."

My biggest question is related to cost. I've heard Ohio gives lots of scholarships to 2nd and 3rd year students and are trying to give a free year of tuition to student, but if anyone has any experience with this and could provide some insight please let me know! However, NCSU offers the opportunity of applying for resident status after 1 year. Does anyone have experience with this and could let me know if this is an easy process or if most people get denied residence status?

Also, if anyone knows information about the social aspect of both schools that would be great. Example, if one school is particularly more cliquey or what not.

Again, I appreciate any insight and am super grateful for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t have any insight but something I did recently when I was trying to learn more about a school was to find the Facebook group for accepted students and ask there. If it’s private you could message the moderator. Good luck & congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Go to the school that costs the least, you are getting the same degree no matter where you go. However, debt follows!
2. Compare cost of living of Raleigh and Columbus (I think that's where OSU is). I can speak about Raleigh, and it is a lovely city with a college in it. I know basically nothing about Columbus! If you are an extrovert/ambivert and like to socialize, check and see which city you would vibe more with. Don't bank on scholarships saving you. Yes, they are available, but not everyone gets them.
3. If you are interested in ER medicine, check and see which schools currently have their ER departments open to receiving patients. In these times, ERs are overrun with low staffing, so some colleges actually had to start sending cases to private practices or other colleges.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I've heard virtually everyone gets resident status after 1st year at NCSU and they help you with the process as well.

Also honestly... if you feel like you need more time to decide you can say yes to NCSU, pay the deposit, and then make up your mind later. Perhaps after you've had a chance to visit both, talk more to financial aid, etc.

It will cost you the price of the deposit, but the school will have zero problems filling the seat later. Try to be nice and let them know as soon as possible so the next student on the waitlist has time to arrange their life, but don't rush yourself.

My gut instinct is to say NCSU because of resident tuition being pretty much guaranteed vs *maybe* getting scholarships, buy I don't know enough about Ohio to say for sure.

Absolutely do not bank on being the person who gets the full ride if they only have one. Our school has one full ride. That's a 1 in 500 chance. It's not random either - it went to someone with a compelling backstory and unique circumstances.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate everyone's input! personally, I feel that I would be the happiest at Ohio, but the in-state tuition at NCSU after the first year is a big deal. Ohio has recently said they are trying to provide every vet student with a free year of tuition, but I am not sure what my odds would be in receiving this. I checked out clinical information and it seems they have very similar curriculums and rotation schedules, except NCSU students pick a focus area which is not something I'm sure I'm interested in.

• Care
I’m going to be going to the Ohio state in the fall so if you decide to go there that’d be great! I thought they had said just one person either each year would get the free tuition so 1 out of 160 would get it. But I am not totally sure, I would email Sandra to see if you could talk to anybody. I’m calculating the OOS debt for Ohio and it’s honestly kinda scary, maybe calculate costs for everything you can think of and if it’s not that big of a difference id go with Ohio. I love Ohio so can’t go wrong with it! Too bad eveything is so expensive.

I appreciate everyone's input! personally, I feel that I would be the happiest at Ohio, but the in-state tuition at NCSU after the first year is a big deal. Ohio has recently said they are trying to provide every vet student with a free year of tuition, but I am not sure what my odds would be in receiving this. I checked out clinical information and it seems they have very similar curriculums and rotation schedules, except NCSU students pick a focus area which is not something I'm sure I'm interested in.

Have you spoken with tOSU's financial aid office or any vet school leadership about scholarship numbers? Depends on how open they are/can be with the information, but some pointed questions like these may help you get a better idea of your chances of getting at least some funding.

-What current percentage of 2nd/3rd year students get scholarships from the school
-Avg scholarship amount
-If scholarships are mostly merit or experience based

Have you spoken with tOSU's financial aid office or any vet school leadership about scholarship numbers? Depends on how open they are/can be with the information, but some pointed questions like these may help you get a better idea of your chances of getting at least some funding.

-What current percentage of 2nd/3rd year students get scholarships from the school
-Avg scholarship amount
-If scholarships are mostly merit or experience based
This would be a great idea! I can definitely email them but I'm not sure I'd hear back before I have to decide by Monday for NCSU

• Care
I’m going to be going to the Ohio state in the fall so if you decide to go there that’d be great! I thought they had said just one person either each year would get the free tuition so 1 out of 160 would get it. But I am not totally sure, I would email Sandra to see if you could talk to anybody. I’m calculating the OOS debt for Ohio and it’s honestly kinda scary, maybe calculate costs for everything you can think of and if it’s not that big of a difference id go with Ohio. I love Ohio so can’t go wrong with it! Too bad eveything is so expensive.
My mom and I looked at some loan debt calculators and the monthly payments are about a $600 difference for the same timeframe. However, if I go to NC State, I could easily pay it off faster. I just really love the welcoming atmosphere and kindness and everything from the faculty at tOSU. It's like deciding to choose between what I like and who I've talked to more (tOSU) vs. debt at NC State

You can also get instate tutiton in Ohio after the first year I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity, where did you end up deciding on?
I chose Ohio State! After speaking to several students, one of who goes to NC State, and the dean at the Ohio State University, I felt a much greater sense of community and belonging at tOSU. The dean was super responsive and helped in answering my questions asap via email and phone call, which just made me feel so supported. I also was not the biggest fan of selecting a focus area at NC State.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I chose Ohio State! After speaking to several students, one of who goes to NC State, and the dean at the Ohio State University, I felt a much greater sense of community and belonging at tOSU. The dean was super responsive and helped in answering my questions asap via email and phone call, which just made me feel so supported. I also was not the biggest fan of selecting a focus area at NC State.
Congrats! See you there!😁

OSU is a better overall school by every measurable med school ranking criteria. In the case of competitive specialties, the difference is apparent. Good choice. I think your tuition will drop if you get in state residency. Great food in Columbus too!

Last edited:
OSU is a better overall school. Good choice. I think your tuition will drop if you get in state residency. Great food in Columbus too!
I'm just going to say that this attitude saying one school is better than the other is toxic in this day and age. NC State is a fantastic program, and they could beg to differ with that statement. You get the same degree no matter where you go, just go where you find a sense of community, and somewhere where you won't go broke.