NCSU vs Cornell vs tOSU (mainly)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdgirl1820

Reaction score
Hi guys! I would love to get any advice that anyone is willing to share! I did not get into my IS (Purdue), but I was fortunate to get offers at NC State, Cornell, Ohio State, UT, and Tufts. For context, I am primarily interested in wildlife, small animal, and infectious disease/immunology research. Although I am considering financials, I am more interested in school fit, student wellbeing and balance, resources available, facilities, if the faculty are approachable, location, etc. I think my top three options are currently NCSU, Cornell, and tOSU, but I am also still considering the other two as well so any thoughts and input about any of them would be super helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on all your acceptances! I’m struggling with where to go too, but will probably pick what is closest to family since vet school is so hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
student wellbeing and balance
Keep in mind that vet school is 4 years while being a doctor is 30-40 years. And unlike what popular opinion says, you don't get to keep the debt and pay it off over that 40 years; you get 10-25 years to pay it off before the government comes for whatever is left in the form of high taxes.

100k would have been a 28% down payment on my house. So not only is that 100k saved in tuition loans, that 7% interest saved on tuition interest, and currently 5-6% interest on a home mortgage. That adds up for a young doctor in their first few years of school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I would love to get any advice that anyone is willing to share! I did not get into my IS (Purdue), but I was fortunate to get offers at NC State, Cornell, Ohio State, UT, and Tufts. For context, I am primarily interested in wildlife, small animal, and infectious disease/immunology research. Although I am considering financials, I am more interested in school fit, student wellbeing and balance, resources available, facilities, if the faculty are approachable, location, etc. I think my top three options are currently NCSU, Cornell, and tOSU, but I am also still considering the other two as well so any thoughts and input about any of them would be super helpful!
Cornell and Tufts are very good for wildlife. But Tufts tends to be a bit pricier. But NCSU is significantly cheaper and i'm usually all for picking a school with strength in your interest. I think you could probably find research here at Cornell as well but I cannot speak to that availability of that another school. Cornell is in a cute little town but there isn't that much to do if your not a hiking fan lol. I think we have a lot of resources here which is good bc during your first year their goal is to make you find information. Most of the faculty are pretty nice here.

Also, feel free to ask me about Cornell as I am currently here!