NCSU - where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on good areas v. bad areas to live near NCSU? I'm looking at buying a house within a 1hr radius of the school - dependent on where the SO finds a job:). Anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

you could do a WHOLE lot better than within an hour. i'll give you more specifics at some point. how soon are you looking to do this?

I have no advice to give other than to second the notion that you don't want to live an hour away from school. Especially not if you're buying, since then you can't just decide it didn't work as well as you had hoped after one year and move closer. My commute to work right now is 1 hour (one way, without traffic) and sometimes it takes 2 hours with traffic. So I know a thing or two about selling your soul to highway.

Generic (i.e. not vet school specific) reasons why it's a less than desirable choice:
1) rising gas prices (I spent $250+ on gas last month!)
2) the dangers of driving while tired (and realizing 15 min into your drive that you are dead tired is AWFUL when you know you have no choice but to keep driving for another 45+ min)
3) time lost with loved ones
4) makes it really really hard if you need to be home for anything (plumber, package being delivered, anything)

There are other reasons, too, that I'm just not thinking of right now. And more than likely the distance from school is not your main point, you know everything I've said, and I've taken this discussion off on a tangent. Sorry, I just wanted to add in my vote for living closer! It's one of the things I'm so excited for about vet school. Goodbye awful commute!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you're absolutely right on all points, including that I don't *want* to be an hour from school. But, I can't very well ask the SO to drive more than I'm willing to drive, and he's looking for a job within a 2hr radius of raleigh (hence the 1hr house radius). With any luck we'll find him something a lot closer! But in case we don't....hence the thread

Plus, I commuted 70 miles one way for undergrad so I'm not opposed to the drive itself - albeit, back then I was annoyed at having to pay more than a dollar per gallon :laugh:

People in Raleigh commute a lot--an hour commute isn't atypical. However, it is miserable--the traffic is terrible since there really isn't public transportation, especially from Raleigh to the RTP in the morning and from the RTP to Raleigh from around 4:30-6:30 in the afternoon. If you can avoid those hours though, the commute isn't bad, and other directions aren't bad either.

There are so many areas within an hour of Raleigh that it's really hard to know what to recommend. The drive on US 1 into Raleigh isn't bad (its actually a nice drive, but a bit of a speed trap), so Sanford wouldn't be bad. I commuted to Southern Pines from Raleigh several times per week for a while, and it was actually a nice commute--but I wasn't completely exhausted, either. US 1 close to Raleigh/Cary (when its still part of 440) can get pretty bogged down in the afternoon heading south, but I haven't driven it as much since they opened it up and added lanes, so they may have rectified the problem.

I think right many people commute from east of Raleigh into the city along I-40 and highway 70, so those might be high-traffic areas. But, those are also some of the least expensive places to live.

North of Raleigh is starting to get pretty developed, but the existing roads haven't really been expanded. Commuting to the vet school along Creedmore Road would be pretty miserable--most other spots, you can get on the interstate, but north of the city would force you through the city (complete with LOTS of stoplights)....though I think I-540 might have been completed up to Creedmore (but I'm not sure), so that might allow you to take a roundabout interstate route.

Chapel Hill/Durham area to Raleigh wouldn't be as terrible as the other direction in the morning...

I have a dear friend that is a realtor in the area. Would you like her contact info? I live in Clayton and it takes me less than 30 mins to get to school. The town is growing like crazy! What does your SO do? Talecris, Caterpillar, Novo Nordisk, and Bayer are right in Clayton. There are already two of us car pooling from the Clayton area. :) I moved from Minneapolis (military family).......decided to change careers (former Bank Manager).....picked Clayton......great schools (our son is 16)......and fell in love with this town.

I know at UF vet school they require you to be at most 15 minutes away from campus once you start doing clinics. Is it not the same for NCSU?