necessary to have ATC to be better candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amg1322

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating a couple options in my return to the DPT track. And I am just curious, from anyone who has learned this from experience or anyone who has some input to share.. is it necessary to have B.S. in Athletic training before going into DPT to be a more attractive candidate for hire after completion of DPT? Are there other ways to make yourself a better candidate for hire instead of going the athletic training route? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

An ATC will help but it's not necessary. Some of my classmates had an ATC but most did not. Being an ATC sucks: low pay and long hours. Only become and ATC if you really really want to work with athletes. If you want to improve your application for PT school, then improve your interview skills. It's a lot easier and cheaper.

We have 1 ATC in our class of 51, personally I do not believe being an ATC really makes you stand out of the crowd. Get observation hours in many different PT areas (outpatient, inpatient, rehab, acute, pediatrics, aqua, hippo therapy etc.) that is what is going to make you look well-rounded and well-versed to application committees (along with LORs, GPA and GRE of course too).

Members don't see this ad :)
Being an ATC sucks: low pay and long hours..

That is certainly a matter of opinion! LOL. Do I work long hours? Yes. But I truly love what I do. I don't have to worry about "is insurance going to pay for this treatment or not" or "am I seeing enough patients?" ETC. I simply get to build relationships with my athletes/patients and treat them in a manner that I feel is necessary... including in the weight room, on the gym floor, and on the turf :) Oh, and I also get a front-row seat for every game! :)

That is certainly a matter of opinion!

Perhaps, but every ATC I've known was broke and overworked. Yes, they loved what they did but getting paid $30k/year to work 12 hours a day isn't fun after awhile.

Perhaps, but every ATC I've known was broke and overworked. Yes, they loved what they did but getting paid $30k/year to work 12 hours a day isn't fun after awhile.

Trust me, I've been there. I used to work for a PT clinic where I was abused left and right. Now that I work for a school, I make much better money and I get to do the job that I love. I don't have to sell things anymore! And I truly get to make a difference in the lives of the kids I work with :)

Reactions: 1 user