This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap3117

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking into applying to a new program and entering their class as they become a “candidate” for accreditation. Has anyone attended a school under these circumstances and how did it work when you graduated and tried to get licensed?

Members don't see this ad.

I had 2 PTA acquaintances who attended "waiting for accreditation" programs. Acquaintance #1's school got accredited, she graduated, passed the boards, and continued with her work life. Acquaintance's #2's school did not get accredited, she did not graduate for that reason, but still has to pay student loan debt while still having only high school education.

Oh wow!! Everyone I’ve spoken to including CAPTE makes it seem like getting accreditation after becoming a candidate is easy. That’s my biggest worry now is attending a program that doesn’t get accreditation and being stuck with 6 figure debt and no DPT

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the second class at my school so there was one class ahead of me. There is still a shortage of PTs so unless they really screw up, they will probably get the accreditation. My school did (1990) but it was a long time ago.

Hello,
I am looking into applying to a new program and entering their class as they become a “candidate” for accreditation. Has anyone attended a school under these circumstances and how did it work when you graduated and tried to get licensed?
Yeah, I was part of an inaugural cohort. From what they told me, becoming a candidate is the hardest step and past that, as long as they do what CAPTE tells them, it should be smooth sailing. My school had no problem getting accredited and they were granted the longest time possible before needing to be reviewed. We got accredited a few months before we graduated (which was the original projected timeline, it was a miracle covid didn't eff it up) so taking the boards wasn't a problem. Also my cohort performed well in clinic, and had a 100% graduation rate and 100% boards passing rate, so no concerns about our education being subpar.

If you like the program, the director is experienced and competent, and the school itself has a good reputation, I wouldn't worry about it. Those are the things I researched before accepting my seat.

That being said - expect it to be a bumpy road. It's a special feeling but NOT fun being part of an inaugural cohort. There are so many little details to still be hammered out, the order you take the courses may not make sense, none of the exams have been vetted through numerous cohorts so exams can be a bloodbath (they always calibrated and checked each question's validity via examsoft but it doesn't change how stressful it is to take a jacked up exam), some courses repeated info because they didn't realize it was already being covered elsewhere.....through our feedback they made changes and improvements for upcoming cohorts but it can't take away from how much stress we went through on top of how stressful PT school already is. It's kind of hard to describe unless you've been through it. It was neat to be the very first, and it was also really great having an entire year of the faculty's undivided attention since there were no other cohorts yet. It just also had its stresses.

Yeah, I was part of an inaugural cohort. From what they told me, becoming a candidate is the hardest step and past that, as long as they do what CAPTE tells them, it should be smooth sailing. My school had no problem getting accredited and they were granted the longest time possible before needing to be reviewed. We got accredited a few months before we graduated (which was the original projected timeline, it was a miracle covid didn't eff it up) so taking the boards wasn't a problem. Also my cohort performed well in clinic, and had a 100% graduation rate and 100% boards passing rate, so no concerns about our education being subpar.

If you like the program, the director is experienced and competent, and the school itself has a good reputation, I wouldn't worry about it. Those are the things I researched before accepting my seat.

That being said - expect it to be a bumpy road. It's a special feeling but NOT fun being part of an inaugural cohort. There are so many little details to still be hammered out, the order you take the courses may not make sense, none of the exams have been vetted through numerous cohorts so exams can be a bloodbath (they always calibrated and checked each question's validity via examsoft but it doesn't change how stressful it is to take a jacked up exam), some courses repeated info because they didn't realize it was already being covered elsewhere.....through our feedback they made changes and improvements for upcoming cohorts but it can't take away from how much stress we went through on top of how stressful PT school already is. It's kind of hard to describe unless you've been through it. It was neat to be the very first, and it was also really great having an entire year of the faculty's undivided attention since there were no other cohorts yet. It just also had its stresses.
Thank you so much for that info! It’s been so hard to find someone that has experienced this but your insight helps a lot!

Reactions: 1 user