Necessity of sketchymicro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get that it provides you visual images, but does it provide extra info outside of first aid? My main study method already makes use of memory palaces (self made) so I am unsure whether to make the purchase.

Members don't see this ad.

Start your free trial on the sketchy website so you can answer this yourself. If you get nothing from it compared to what you learn on your own per bug then it probably isn't worth it for you.

Edit: Maybe pick 1 random bug each system (yours or sketchy), learn about about it, then the next day write out as many facts about each one you can cold.

Reactions: 1 users
I was skeptical at first, but it ended up being by far the best resource (even much better than Pathoma in my opinion). With that being said, I'm of the personal opinion that boards are slowly moving away from questions that can be easily answered by SketchyMicro so you will definitely still need to know the ins and outs of the First Aid microbiology portion. I also thought SketchyPharm was worth it and covered everything on both my board exams, but SketchyPath had only just come out when I hit dedicated so I didn't spend time on it, but have heard that is great as well. I will also say I haven't watched any of the videos for several months and they sill have have helped out enormously during rotations thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
resources you should not compromise with:
First Aid, Pathoma, SketchyMicro, Uworld.

Reactions: 3 users
I get that it provides you visual images, but does it provide extra info outside of first aid? My main study method already makes use of memory palaces (self made) so I am unsure whether to make the purchase.

SketchyMicro is a company making memory palaces for you that has the proven track-record others above allude to. I would say what is written in First Aid is more comprehensive, but just reading it won't stick. That's how Sketchy provides value. Same goes for Pathoma frankly. It's his explanations that truly taught me, not the text.

On a related note, what do ya'll think of SketchyPharm?

resources you should not compromise with:
First Aid, Pathoma, SketchyMicro, Uworld.

Would add Boards & Beyond to that list.

On a related note, what do ya'll think of SketchyPharm?

Videos are too long and imagery is not as consistent as with SketchyMicro.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm by no means a genius, but sketchy micro/pharm has helped me get some crazy pimping questions correct. 10/10, highly recommend.

Never used sketchy (or Pathoma or First Aid), and I still did really well in everything. Definitely not a necessity judging by my experience and some of my friends’ experiences.

Never used sketchy (or Pathoma or First Aid), and I still did really well in everything. Definitely not a necessity judging by my experience and some of my friends’ experiences.
What sort of madness is this

Reactions: 7 users
i also use a lot of my own mind palaces to study and this is the exact reason why i can't use sketchy. it's not mine so it doesn't create the needed stimulus to remember it.

Do you mean this just for classes? If so, I mean those are primarily board resources. If people did really well on Step 1 without using any of those resources then that would be surprising

FWIW, I used FC to memorize FA. You could also use Anki. That incudes memorizing micro. I gave Sketchy a try and didn't like it. I felt like I had to remember what was drawn in the first place to remember what it was alluding to. Illustrative inception.

That's just me though. It's not like if you don't use Sketchy you'll zomg fail. Just try it and see if you like it. Different strokes.

Didn't use it and micro was my strongest section after the test.

Avoid his sketchy garbage, save your money and create your own method to memorize. It wlll be better for the long term.