Need 2 points in a week, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4pf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Im currently scheduled to test on 3/13. My goal score is 516. I think this may be achievable as ive gotten a 514 on both AAMC FL 1 and AAMC FL 2. The true issue is a plateau i reached in C/P and B/B. Im consistently scoring a 127 on both. After thoroughly reviewing these tests, I also have around 3 questions per section that I miss due to interpretation errors or reading too quickly. I'm hoping to address that through more practice this weekend.

Also. I'm primarily missing questions that start with "based on the passage" because I either try to answer on what I remember or knowledge I have. I'm planning to attempt to refer back to the passage more without running out of time by reading slighly quicker my first time through.

My scores on both tests have been : 514 (127/130/127/130)

Any advice on how to squeeze 2 more points?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the sample and the remaining FLs. If you have the $ and time buy the other AAMC materials they were super helpful for me. My scores ranged from 518-523 and I ended up scoring a 523 on the real deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, Im currently scheduled to test on 3/13. My goal score is 516. I think this may be achievable as ive gotten a 514 on both AAMC FL 1 and AAMC FL 2. The true issue is a plateau i reached in C/P and B/B. Im consistently scoring a 127 on both. After thoroughly reviewing these tests, I also have around 3 questions per section that I miss due to interpretation errors or reading too quickly. I'm hoping to address that through more practice this weekend.

Also. I'm primarily missing questions that start with "based on the passage" because I either try to answer on what I remember or knowledge I have. I'm planning to attempt to refer back to the passage more without running out of time by reading slighly quicker my first time through.

My scores on both tests have been : 514 (127/130/127/130)

Any advice on how to squeeze 2 more points?
Literally, 2 points is within the confidence band, so you might already be there, depending on which form of the test you receive! :)

Otherwise, as others have suggested, work through the remaining AAMC FLs and thoroughly go over both correct and incorrect answers. Pace yourself and do whatever you have to do to not stress and get a good night's sleep on the 12th. Don't kill yourself trying to cram in the last week.

You are already in the 89%-ile, and just need to focus on maximizing your performance on test day rather than trying to learn more at this point. If you check out reddit, you'll see actual performance varies by quite a bit from AAMC FL averages for some people, so you very well might already be more than fine, as long as you don't psych yourself out and you set yourself up for success on test day.

Honestly if you're that close the best thing you can do is work on your weaknesses and get as much sleep and good food and hydration into you. Minimize your technology and screen time and call your parents and loved ones.

It's not just touchy feely either, lots of good research show you squeeze points on exams by peeking mentally at the right time.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
@MedSchoolTutors

Took your advice and spent time with my family and increased my amount of sleep significantly. Ended up with a 520! thank you!!!
This warms my heart. Test taking is like every other sport, train hard physically and mentally and peak at the right time.

Congratulations! You deserve it!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors