Need a little guidance here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmOMR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well here is my story. Im 19 years old and a Sophomore at Loyola University of Chicago with a Biology Pre-Dental major. My uncle is a dentist and I have been assisting for him for about 2 years now, and I have learned a lot about the field. I have practiced preparing teeth on dozens of models and Ive learned how to read xrays, take alginated impressions, so on and so on. Unfortunatly all this doesnt get you a degree or might not even help get into dental school. So here is my problem, Im stuck here at loyola taking an extrordinary amount of core classes :thumbdown: that I have no interest in and I'm having a hard time getting through the basic crap because Im not good at having a large variety of classes. If I was able to focus on one subject like, oh say, Biology or maybe Dentistry I think I could do well. But with my insane core I feel like a scatter brain. My GPA right now is a little below 3 on a 4 scale :( . Basically what Im asking is, if Im not aceing everything now, am I heading up the creek without a paddle? Is my experience working in the field going to do anything to help me get into Dental School?

Members don't see this ad.

i believe yes your expierence will help you. however, you have to realize that most other pre-dents have probably done most of the stuff you have done already. the reason they ask about gpa and dat scores so everybody has an equal measuring stick. my recommendation is to spread out the courses if you like to do better on them and get above that magical 3.0 in addition i recommend that if you just barely pass the 3.0 then you MUST ace the DATs.

on a side note .. you should realize that dental school is probably LESS harder than college in material yet HARDER in the amount of material.

good luck!

Well I think I can pull a low 3ish GPA, maybe around 3.2 or 3.3. The reason my GPA is so low is mainly a "D" that I got the first semester last year in chem. I retook the class second semester and got a "B+" (Saturday morning 8:30 am 4 hour class not fun :( ) . Ive done a little bit of practice on the DAT and I dont think I can Ace that. Is there an inverse correlation with GPA and score needed on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
92CamaroLS1 said:
Well I think I can pull a low 3ish GPA, maybe around 3.2 or 3.3. The reason my GPA is so low is mainly a "D" that I got the first semester last year in chem. I retook the class second semester and got a "B+" (Saturday morning 8:30 am 4 hour class not fun :( ) . Ive done a little bit of practice on the DAT and I dont think I can Ace that. Is there an inverse correlation with GPA and score needed on the DAT?

Yea I would say that there is an inverse correlation. You should also be aware that most peeps here on SDN who have sub 3.0 gpas also have 20+ dat scores and they get into dental schools fine. Once you get to that point where you know that all you have left is a low gpa and a dat coming up within the following month, you'll be studying like there is no tomorrow! I think you anyone can Ace the dat as long as you give it enough time and effort.

I think you're gonna have to rely on that DAT score of yours. Especially the chemistry section of it because going from a D-->B+ isn't really that impressive regardless of the circumstance of ur course (i.e. saturday morning class).

EyeAmCommi said:
Yea I would say that there is an inverse correlation. You should also be aware that most peeps here on SDN who have sub 3.0 gpas also have 20+ dat scores and they get into dental schools fine. Once you get to that point where you know that all you have left is a low gpa and a dat coming up within the following month, you'll be studying like there is no tomorrow! I think you anyone can Ace the dat as long as you give it enough time and effort.

I think you're gonna have to rely on that DAT score of yours. Especially the chemistry section of it because going from a D-->B+ isn't really that impressive regardless of the circumstance of ur course (i.e. saturday morning class).

Well whether if the D=>B+ is impressive or not, with all of the science classes yet, and the possibility of getting a decent GPA in science and overall, then the DAT wouldnt play as much of a factor, correct? Or are they going to see the "D" I got freshman year and say "NOPE" without an awsome DAT? I am just trying to make the DATs as little as factor as possible right now, just because anything can happen on one test.

92CamaroLS1 said:
Well whether if the D=>B+ is impressive or not, with all of the science classes yet, and the possibility of getting a decent GPA in science and overall, then the DAT wouldnt play as much of a factor, correct? Or are they going to see the "D" I got freshman year and say "NOPE" without an awsome DAT? I am just trying to make the DATs as little as factor as possible right now, just because anything can happen on one test.

Sorry I didn't realize I was being so curt. I just want to give you MHO. I was told by two admissions people who came to my school that if you retake a course, then they're gonna want to see an A the 2nd time around. So, what I meant by my earlier post was you're gonna HAVE to rely on your DAT scores! There's no if ands or butts about it! I think the test scores are always gonna be a factor but especially if you're at a sub 3.0 right now with an old D in gen chem, you're gonna have to study extra hard on the chem section to show the adcoms that you know your stuff, which im sure you will do regardless of how you feel about the DATs right now. I wish you the best of luck!

Sorry if it sounded like I took offense...Its just finals time, a little stressful as you know. I just figured Dental schools wouldnt focus so much on that if I did well in the next 2-3 years. O well.

92CamaroLS1 said:
Well here is my story. Im 19 years old and a Sophomore at Loyola University of Chicago with a Biology Pre-Dental major. My uncle is a dentist and I have been assisting for him for about 2 years now, and I have learned a lot about the field. I have practiced preparing teeth on dozens of models and Ive learned how to read xrays, take alginated impressions, so on and so on. Unfortunatly all this doesnt get you a degree or might not even help get into dental school. So here is my problem, Im stuck here at loyola taking an extrordinary amount of core classes :thumbdown: that I have no interest in and I'm having a hard time getting through the basic crap because Im not good at having a large variety of classes. If I was able to focus on one subject like, oh say, Biology or maybe Dentistry I think I could do well. But with my insane core I feel like a scatter brain. My GPA right now is a little below 3 on a 4 scale :( . Basically what Im asking is, if Im not aceing everything now, am I heading up the creek without a paddle? Is my experience working in the field going to do anything to help me get into Dental School?

If things are so intense right now, slow down and enjoy yourself more. You're only 19 years old!! There is no need to sabotage your chances of doing what you are obviously passionate about because you are racing to get there. Do well on the DAT by developing a study plan over a summer or something. Make a calendar and get a few DAT study aids. Don't freak out yet! You know yourself and how you excel. Just adjust your academic path to how you do best. Good luck! :luck: :luck:

92CamaroLS1 said:
Sorry if it sounded like I took offense...Its just finals time, a little stressful as you know. I just figured Dental schools wouldnt focus so much on that if I did well in the next 2-3 years. O well.

I wouldn't be so concerned about that one D... especially if you retook it and got a B+. It's true it doesn't look good but it's definitely not the only thing they're going to look at. Try to do well from now on, especially in the upper level science courses. And yes do try to ace the DAT. During one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me why I got a B+ in organic chem... and after listening to my answer he followed with "it's understandable, you scored fabulously on the organic section on the DAT so I don't doubt that you know the material"... or something to that effect.

92CamaroLS1 said:
I'm having a hard time getting through the basic crap because Im not good at having a large variety of classes. If I was able to focus on one subject like, oh say, Biology or maybe Dentistry I think I could do well.

Yup, we have just one single class in dental school called Dentistry 101. :laugh:

You are crazy if you think dental school is going to be less material to focus on. In dental school you will be bombarded with SOOO many different classes at one time that it will make your head spin. If college were done at the same pace as dental school you could have a Bachelor's degree in about 18 months. I am not exaggerating.

I started college late so I rushed through and got my degree in 3 yrs. But dental school is two to three times more jam-packed than college was for me.

You are still young so there is no rush. Maybe take a light load next semester and really focus on improving your time management skills. See if your school has any courses specifically designed to help you out in that area. You don't want to ruin your chances of getting into dental school by taking too many classes and getting bad grades, but you need to learn to deal with the stress of a full load too.

Please keep in mind that some schools like to see how well you perform in the last two years of your undergrad degree, no need to beat yourself up...I am just going to echo what has been said in previous responses, just plan and think ahead...Good luck and I congratulate you for choosing such a great profession...
92CamaroLS1 said: